2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He gave us fits in the playoffs
No, he absolutely did not give fits.

When Cousins was on the court we absolutely wrecked the Clips in that series. He is a complete disaster on defense and wildly overrated on offense. He scored his points, sure, but our offense switched to "make Cousins defend" whenever he was on the court and it seemed like we scored on virtually every single play that we attacked him.

27% shooting, 7 rebounds, and absolute dog crap defending in 42 total minutes in that series. That is Cousins.

If they had played him starters minutes we'd have swept them, winning by about 25 per game.

PLEASE let us bump into that washed up bum again in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

When Cousins was on the court we absolutely wrecked the Clips in that series. He is a complete disaster on defense and wildly overrated on offense. He scored his points, sure, but our offense switched to "make Cousins defend" whenever he was on the court and it seemed like we scored on virtually every single play that we attacked him.

27% shooting, 7 rebounds, and absolute dog crap defending in 42 total minutes in that series. That is Cousins.

If they had played him starters minutes we'd have swept them, winning by about 25 per game.

Idk I remember him coming in I think game 4? And dropping 15 on us and being a problem in that game

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We pretty much played him off the court

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk I remember him coming in I think game 4? And dropping 15 on us and being a problem in that game

Cousins had three games where he scored in double figues against Phoenix in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right.that Clippers series was hell.

That was a tough series for sure. The Bucks will use Cousins as depth and insurance with Brook Lopez hurting.

Without a guaranteed contract there is not much to lose. If he hurts chemistry they can let him go.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cousins had three games where he scored in double figues against Phoenix in the playoffs.
As I recall, he hurt the Suns in one game and he hurt the Clippers in 4 others. His second best game was a DNP that LAC won.

As a deep bench guy, assuming he doesn't hurt your chemistry, he's a decent signing. But he's a very mediocre signing if he's your 9th or 10th man. All told, I'd rather have an occasionally healthy Frank.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall, he hurt the Suns in one game and he hurt the Clippers in 4 others. His second best game was a DNP that LAC won.

As a deep bench guy, assuming he doesn't hurt your chemistry, he's a decent signing. But he's a very mediocre signing if he's your 9th or 10th man. All told, I'd rather have an occasionally healthy Frank.

I'd take Kaminsky as well.

I'm trying to view the addition of Cousins as the Bucks might view him on a non-guaranteed contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Tough blow, but with Porter’s five-year extension kicking in next season, he and the Nuggets take big-picture approach to his health"

That is some major league spin.

I have to think this takes some of the pressure off James Jones not giving Ayton the max plus bonuses this off season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on Michael Porter Jr. situation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d take Frank aswell but Frank ain’t here

The best ability is availability

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to think this takes some of the pressure off James Jones not giving Ayton the max plus bonuses this off season.
Yeah, that and Ayton's actual performance so far. But still, I believe DA has already shown enough to get the max that we will offer him after this season.

The problem was all the arrogant talking heads who only watched the Suns play a handful of times in the playoffs. Their ignorance let to the national narrative that he was a dominant force and that we'd have to be stupid not to beat the rush. There was and is no rush. JMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d take Frank aswell but Frank ain’t here

The best ability is availability

Frank is expected back. Would you want Cousins with the Suns playing so well?

I do agree the Suns need to strengthen the power forward position.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that and Ayton's actual performance so far. But still, I believe DA has already shown enough to get the max that we will offer him after this season.

The problem was all the arrogant talking heads who only watched the Suns play a handful of times in the playoffs. Their ignorance let to the national narrative that he was a dominant force and that we'd have to be stupid not to beat the rush. There was and is no rush. JMO.

I wanted everything wrapped up with a ribbon and bow this past summer with Ayton contractually but I can understand the Suns not wanting to give him the 5 year max with bonuses. The Suns won't have to give him that in RFA.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frank is expected back. Would you want Cousins with the Suns playing so well?

I do agree the Suns need to strengthen the power forward position.

I was reading that woods from the rockets could be a guy on the move, he’s on the books for 3 years/41M.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading that woods from the rockets could be a guy on the move, he’s on the books for 3 years/41M.

It would be nice if the Suns could swing a deal for Christian Wood and not hurt the team. He is what Jalen Smith was supposed to bring to the table.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal

It's the full recovery comments after back surgery that often make me skeptical. I'm not sure if anyone is the same coming off more than one back surgery, especially lower back. Actually I'm not sure what that means. My personal observation is back problems don't go away. Maybe they get better.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is the cautionary tale of giving an extension earlier than necessary. The only reason a team should give an extension early is if there are concessions made in terms of amount or years by the player. As the team you’re taking on a lot of potential risk for the player to get security. There should be some give on the other side too, otherwise I believe it’s prudent to wait until their contract is up - the same can be dealt then and they’re still restricted. Makes no sense to go early and give a 5 year max.

Granted porter contract was REALLY stupid given his existing medical issue, but any player can have a career impacting injury at any time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alec Burks will be the starting point guard for the Knicks?

I like Burks but I don't think he is a point guard.

Next thing you know they will be wanting to trade for Elfrid Payton. ;)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is the cautionary tale of giving an extension earlier than necessary. The only reason a team should give an extension early is if there are concessions made in terms of amount or years by the player. As the team you’re taking on a lot of potential risk for the player to get security. There should be some give on the other side too, otherwise I believe it’s prudent to wait until their contract is up - the same can be dealt then and they’re still restricted. Makes no sense to go early and give a 5 year max.

Granted porter contract was REALLY stupid given his existing medical issue, but any player can have a career impacting injury at any time.
Exactly this. This is the problem with "market value". Sometimes the market is stupid. No concessions, then he has to wait to get his deal.