2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t know that I would call it a routine. He probably was set off once he realized he had blood streaming down his face.

Beef Stew confronted lebron after getting popped, he didn't get the right response. So seeing the blood and Lebron's response set him off.

Anyone calling Lebron's actions not intentional is kidding themself. He clearly looked over and swung that arm, and this was on a made shot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Beef Stew confronted lebron after getting popped, he didn't get the right response. So seeing the blood and Lebron's response set him off.

Anyone calling Lebron's actions not intentional is kidding themself. He clearly looked over and swung that arm, and this was on a made shot.
The sad thing about it, the majority of the country (and the league) will just write this off as an old guy compensating for his lessening skills. A basketball play where Stewart's eye got in the way.

It's more like a bitter old man trying to do anything he can to get an advantage and then shrugging his shoulders and saying it was an accident.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
It looked like he was getting pulled/twisted by the right arm behind him.

Looks like he went to chop at the arm in frustration and caught his cheek instead, which was down a lot lower than it typically would be

I can see why Stewart would be upset and why LeBron would be frustrated

I'd probably give it 1 game and 2 games and then move on - stuff happens

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All those back surgeries before he ever stepped on an NBA court. His entire career is just a matter of time.

And I feel for him. Millions or not, I know what it feels like having multiple back surgeries at a young age. You’re never the same and if he’s got nerve damage back there also? Been there, still there, will always be there and it’s a bitch. A manageable bitch, but a bitch forever.

And that’s from someone who’s body didn’t take a pounding like his does. Sure, he probably has the best medical team money can buy, but I’ve seen some of the best in the country and gone to award winning physical therapists. When your back’s mucked up, it’s mucked up no matter how much money you throw at it.
Yep. I've not had surgeries but I have a terrible back with arthritis, stenosis, nerve damage, etc., etc. Like you said it's a bitch forever. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and there are some days that I can barely move.

I feel for the guy, it's just a shame for such a young guy to experience that. I empathize and feel for you too Cheese.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fortunately for the league it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not. He threw that arm straight at the guy's face (with excessive force), that's textbook flagrant 2 even if it hadn't drawn blood or created the mess that followed.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looked like he was getting pulled/twisted by the right arm behind him.

Looks like he went to chop at the arm in frustration and caught his cheek instead, which was down a lot lower than it typically would be

I can see why Stewart would be upset and why LeBron would be frustrated

I'd probably give it 1 game and 2 games and then move on - stuff happens

Lebron clearly looks at him then hits him. Lebron or any player, not knowing where another player's body parts are in relation to theirs is just non sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron not only hits Stewart in the head with the elbow but rakes his hand across his face. I view that as intentional.

Check out the full fight video @Finito posted at about the 2 minute mark.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron not only hits Stewart in the head with the elbow but rakes his hand across his face. I view that as intentional.

Check out the full fight video @Finito posted at about the 2 minute mark.

For me I don't think there's any doubt that he intended contact to Stewart's head. But like I said, for the people that don't think it was intentional, it doesn't matter what his intent was, that's a flagrant 2.

And it looked to me like he nailed Stewart in the nose/mouth with his fist and he raked him around the eye with his elbow but no matter how many times I've seen it, I can't tell for sure what hit what.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me I don't think there's any doubt that he intended contact to Stewart's head. And like I said, it doesn't matter what his intent was, that's a flagrant 2.

And it looked to me like he nailed Stewart in the nose/mouth with his fist and he raked him around the eye with his elbow but no matter how many times I've seen it, I can't tell for sure what hit what.

I've looked at the video several times. It looks like Lebron hit Stewart in the head with the left elbow, the forearm may have cut the eye area and also got him with a cupped hand across the face. It all looked intentional.

I think Lebron deserves more than a one game suspension but we know how that goes. I'm afraid they will give Stewart something much more severe.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've looked at the video several times. It looks like Lebron hit Stewart in the head with the left elbow, the forearm may have cut the eye area and also got him with a cupped hand across the face. It all looked intentional.

I think Lebron deserves more than a one game suspension but we know how that goes. I'm afraid they will give Stewart something much more severe.
I thought Jokic should have been suspended for more than 1 game and that Markieff should have been suspended for at least the same amount. And I don't consider Lebron's actions any worse than Nikola - they were both driven by anger and occurred "in the moment".

Stewart was the victim here but his behavior over the next several minutes goes well beyond the acceptable so the league almost has to sit him for more than the current one game standard. I don't think it will be 10 games or any more than 3 or 4 but who knows?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Jokic should have been suspended for more than 1 game and that Markieff should have been suspended for at least the same amount. And I don't consider Lebron's actions any worse than Nikola - they were both driven by anger and occurred "in the moment".

Stewart was the victim here but his behavior over the next several minutes goes well beyond the acceptable so the league almost has to sit him for more than the current one game standard. I don't think it will be 10 games or any more than 3 or 4 but who knows?

If Lebron hadn't followed through with what appeared to be a cupped hand I think one game would have been about right but I think it upped the ante.

However, the NBA may make an example of Stewart.

If they do, Lebron deserves a two game suspension because he was a part of what transpired. I'm not expecting more than a one game suspension for Lebron though.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 game for a guy bleeding all over himself seems a little weak. But considering its the post child of the nba, 1 game is likely. It should be more like 5 imo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 game for a guy bleeding all over himself seems a little weak. But considering its the post child of the nba, 1 game is likely. It should be more like 5 imo.
Although that's a lasting image don't forget that it would have been far less obvious had he left the court when first ordered to.

Most players that get cut, get attention on the sideline or in the locker room to immediately stop the bleeding, Stewart chose to let the blood run freely for several minutes.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although that's a lasting image don't forget that it would have been far less obvious had he left the court when first ordered to.

Most players that get cut, get attention on the sideline or in the locker room to immediately stop the bleeding, Stewart chose to let the blood run freely for several minutes.

I agree with you on that

No one though any of it until he went to the floor as well, that helped things.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Piston's coach Dwayne Casey says Stewart shouldn't be suspended or face further punishment. Stewart received 8 stitches and Casey alludes to that being enough.

Anthony Davis claims LeBron was trying to apologize to Stewart during the ordeal, which is a joke IMO.

This article has all that listed and some other quotes from those involved.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a Sports Wars video of Ryan reacting to it. There's a couple clips of it. The top of the backboard camera shot really looks like LeBron threw the punch/elbow intentionally. From that shot it looks like LeBron has a suspension in his future.

As a Suns fan, there also better be a bunch of Pistons and Lakers suspended for leaving the bench. Lots of guys were on the floor and interacting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

YOu can argue he was just trying to pull his arm free of Stewart but I tend to agree with you that he hit him intentionally as part of pulling his arm free.

Stewart is a beast

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
YOu can argue he was just trying to pull his arm free of Stewart but I tend to agree with you that he hit him intentionally as part of pulling his arm free.

Stewart is a beast

I thought it might be pulling free too when I first saw it from the ground level camera. It was the backboard camera that changed my mind. From it's angle you can see LeBron turn and swing while it's happening. I think he was getting frustrated over the jockeying for position, lost his cool, and took a swing. It's usually easy to hide some physicality during the free-throw box outs. LeBron probably thought he could get away with a little hit and it got away from him.

If you want to check the angle I'm talking about it's show at starting at 4:58 in the video I posted. I haven't seen it shown as much as the other angles.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be pulling free too when I first saw it from the ground level camera. It was the backboard camera that changed my mind. From it's angle you can see LeBron turn and swing while it's happening. I think he was getting frustrated over the jockeying for position, lost his cool, and took a swing. It's usually easy to hide some physicality during the free-throw box outs. LeBron probably thought he could get away with a little hit and it got away from him.

If you want to check the angle I'm talking about it's show at starting at 4:58 in the video I posted. I haven't seen it shown as much as the other angles.

No yeah I agree. I mean that people can argue he was just pulling free, I'm sure that's what he'd say, but I don't believe it. like you said I think he got frustrated and took a swing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody get a look at that giant pink wool sweater that Kuzma wore to work today? I stopped laughing when I found out it was a designer sweater that goes for almost 1600 dollars. Each to their own but I can find better ways to get rid of my money.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the Lakers are asking the league to increase the suspension to 10 games. It seems that a 1 game suspension will cost Lebron $284,000 but thanks to the luxury tax it will actually save the franchise more than 530,000 dollars.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, the guy that drew blood only gets 1 game? And the bloody guy gets twice that?
Justifiably. Stewart didn't just react, he failed to leave the court and went after Lebron after which he failed to leave the court and again went after Lebron. And again and again. If Stewart hadn't been a bloody mess he probably would have gotten even more games.

Lebron is a non-stop actor on the court, manipulates the hell out of the refs but he is not a dirty player. With no history of cheap shots behind him, one game was appropriate.