2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are (8) standard roster spots currently open around the NBA and (6) waived lottery picks this past week.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are (8) standard roster spots currently open around the NBA and (6) waived lottery picks this past week.

I'd forgotten Jabari Parker even existed.

He and Wiggins had astronomical levels of hype attached to them. Wiggins was probably the 3rd most hype prospect in the last 20 years (behind LeBron and Oden) and Parker was viewed as a guy who would've gone first in a year without a guy like Wiggins in the class. Wiggins is a 3rd rate chucker and Parker is... gone.

Stanley Johnson needed to stay in school another year or 2, develop his shot. Guy is a great athlete and a solid defender but just trash at shooting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd forgotten Jabari Parker even existed.

He and Wiggins had astronomical levels of hype attached to them. Wiggins was probably the 3rd most hype prospect in the last 20 years (behind LeBron and Oden) and Parker was viewed as a guy who would've gone first in a year without a guy like Wiggins in the class. Wiggins is a 3rd rate chucker and Parker is... gone.

Stanley Johnson needed to stay in school another year or 2, develop his shot. Guy is a great athlete and a solid defender but just trash at shooting.
Yeah I was wrong on all three. But I still think Stanley Johnson might have been a solid player if he hadn't landed with SVG.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I was wrong on all three. But I still think Stanley Johnson might have been a solid player if he hadn't landed with SVG.
The whole basketball world was wrong on Wiggins.

Maybe there were a few people starting to sniff him out after his season at Kansas didn't blow anyone's hair back, but I don't recall anyone raising their voice.

I remember people questioning Oden though. His injury problems, the length disparity of his legs and him saying something that made it seem like his passion for basketball wasn't all that deep. But when he was healthy at Ohio St he looked the part of the next stud big man.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The whole basketball world was wrong on Wiggins.

Maybe there were a few people starting to sniff him out after his season at Kansas didn't blow anyone's hair back, but I don't recall anyone raising their voice.

I remember people questioning Oden though. His injury problems, the length disparity of his legs and him saying something that made it seem like his passion for basketball wasn't all that deep. But when he was healthy at Ohio St he looked the part of the next stud big man.

Oden would’ve been legit if not for the knee problems. He was a defensive juggernaut and was a great athlete for his size. The way he moved in college hadn’t been seen since Shaq. Micro-fracture on both knees by 22, damn.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oden would’ve been legit if not for the knee problems. He was a defensive juggernaut and was a great athlete for his size. The way he moved in college hadn’t been seen since Shaq. Micro-fracture on both knees by 22, damn.
Oh yeah, I agree. As I said, when healthy, he looked the part. But the red flags were there. The difference in length between his legs would be something many teams in this day would queue on hard. He'd probably be red-flag, undraftable by several teams... and end up getting taken by some idiot franchise... like the Kings. Or maybe Portland drafts him anyway. Maybe they saw those red flags and ignored them because they had, up to that point, been successfully managing Brandon Roy's chronic knee problems.

Roy and Oden would have been an incredible pairing if their limbs hadn't been made of tissue paper.

Somewhere out there there is an alternate universe where the Blazers drafted Durant instead of Oden and still had the ability to draft Lillard a few years later. That would have been a terrifying combination.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I agree. As I said, when healthy, he looked the part. But the red flags were there. The difference in length between his legs would be something many teams in this day would queue on hard. He'd probably be red-flag, undraftable by several teams... and end up getting taken by some idiot franchise... like the Kings. Or maybe Portland drafts him anyway. Maybe they saw those red flags and ignored them because they had, up to that point, been successfully managing Brandon Roy's chronic knee problems.

Roy and Oden would have been an incredible pairing if their limbs hadn't been made of tissue paper.

Somewhere out there there is an alternate universe where the Blazers drafted Durant instead of Oden and still had the ability to draft Lillard a few years later. That would have been a terrifying combination.

Even Roy gave us fits in the playoffs back then, it was a tough series still.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm repeating this tweet here.

Jaren Jackson Jr. is extended for 4 years/ $105 million. He was drafted #4 in the 2018 NBA Draft.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm repeating this tweet here.

Jaren Jackson Jr. is extended for 4 years/ $105 million. He was drafted #4 in the 2018 NBA Draft.

That makes Mikal's deal look better. I didn't think JJJ would get that much unless he hit Restricted Free Agency. I'm glad Memphis is on the hook for that because I'm not sure he'll live up to that value. He has the potential, certainly, but he can't stay healthy and they've used him as a PF more often than C, which is questionable as well. The only way he earns that salary is as a Center, IMO. He's not worth near max money as a PF.

Didn't Memphis also swap Jonas Valencunis for Steven Adams? If so then that makes it worse for JJJ because Jonas could spread the floor while Adams is very much an interior banger who is limited offensively, which forces JJJ to play almost exclusively on the perimeter for spacing purposes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes Mikal's deal look better. I didn't think JJJ would get that much unless he hit Restricted Free Agency. I'm glad Memphis is on the hook for that because I'm not sure he'll live up to that value. He has the potential, certainly, but he can't stay healthy and they've used him as a PF more often than C, which is questionable as well. The only way he earns that salary is as a Center, IMO. He's not worth near max money as a PF.

Didn't Memphis also swap Jonas Valencunis for Steven Adams? If so then that makes it worse for JJJ because Jonas could spread the floor while Adams is very much an interior banger who is limited offensively, which forces JJJ to play almost exclusively on the perimeter for spacing purposes.

Memphis has the financial flexibility to pay JJJ now so they are in good position at the moment. He is their future along with Morant. I'm not sure what they are doing other than trying to keep their best players.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Max a player or lose them is what it comes down to these days. Memphis chose poorly. I'm really glad the suns are playing hardball with Ayton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max a player or lose them is what it comes down to these days. Memphis chose poorly. I'm really glad the suns are playing hardball with Ayton.
I'm torn, I want Ayton here but I can understand holding firm if the demands are too high. But if we're playing hardball over a few million, I'm pissed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Memphis has the financial flexibility to pay JJJ now so they are in good position at the moment. He is their future along with Morant. I'm not sure what they are doing other than trying to keep their best players.

That move very well could cost them Morant. Look at how Dallas miscalculated Porzingis' value and paid him a king's ransom. They now have to wheel and deal in attempt to get quality players to surround Luka because KP's salary limits their options. They had $20m or so to spend this summer but that wasn't enough to make a splash of any sorts. They ended up giving that out to their own free agents and are hoping that Kidd can improve them enough to take the next step since they were financially limited. I see something similar happening in Memphis with Morant if JJJ doesn't prove his worth.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm torn, I want Ayton here but I can understand holding firm if the demands are too high. But if we're playing hardball over a few million, I'm pissed.

I agree and the only sort of hardball I see that makes sense that I agree with is over the super max escalators. Like you pointed out elsewhere, it's not just $5-7m a year to Ayton but potentially $30m+ or more in luxury tax payments on top of that money to Ayton. That's a hard pill to swallow, for any owner but especially for Sarver.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That move very well could cost them Morant. Look at how Dallas miscalculated Porzingis' value and paid him a king's ransom. They now have to wheel and deal in attempt to get quality players to surround Luka because KP's salary limits their options. They had $20m or so to spend this summer but that wasn't enough to make a splash of any sorts. They ended up giving that out to their own free agents and are hoping that Kidd can improve them enough to take the next step since they were financially limited. I see something similar happening in Memphis with Morant if JJJ doesn't prove his worth.

This discussion almost needs to go on the "The Ayton Plan" thread.

If a team makes a miscalculation they are handicapped financially for years. At least the contract of JJJ is not as bad as the contract for Porzingis.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Malcolm Brogdon will get paid nearly $90 million over 4 years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No. There is no way the less than max deal given to JJJ will in any way shape or form keep them from keeping and resigning Morant. I think this is rationalization using a somewhat bad contract with JJJ as reason to defend the Ayton decision .

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. There is no way the less than max deal given to JJJ will in any way shape or form keep them from keeping and resigning Morant. I think this is rationalization using a somewhat bad contract with JJJ as reason to defend the Ayton decision .

The deal for JJJ is about $30 million less than the max for 4 years. JJJ hasn't earned that big of a payday yet. It could hurt their chances to build a contender if he doesn't pan out. They may keep Morant but that will depend on whether JJJ pans out and earns his salary and what else Memphis does.

I thought Ja was further from his extension than he is, he's eligible next offseason, which I'm sure he'll sign, but it's through the life of the deal where it could be a hindrance similar to Porzingis deal is in Dallas. It limits their financial flexibility.

I wasn't trying to compare it to Ayton, which is why I didn't mention him and only compared to it Mikal's deal. I've been clear on my thoughts about Ayton's deal, give him the max. It's the escalators that I've struggled with.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh not sure I like Brogdon staying with the pacers. I think Brogdon deserves to be on a better team. Jmo

I thought they were on the verge of being a serious contender in the East after their bubble run, if which they were short handed. They had a solid starting 5 of Brogdon, Oladipo, TJ Warren, Sabonis, and Myles Turner but they couldnt keep TJ and Dipo healthy. They should get Caris LaVert healthy this year, who replaces Oladipo, and they could make some noise. I still think firing Nate McMillan was a mistake.

I got a lot of family who are Pacer fans and they're more excited about this season than last. They knew Oladipo was made of glass. They think TJ should return to health also, which I can relate to all too well. If they can get healthy then I like them as a 2nd round team in the East.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they were on the verge of being a serious contender in the East after their bubble run, if which they were short handed. They had a solid starting 5 of Brogdon, Oladipo, TJ Warren, Sabonis, and Myles Turner but they couldnt keep TJ and Dipo healthy. They should get Caris LaVert healthy this year, who replaces Oladipo, and they could make some noise. I still think firing Nate McMillan was a mistake.

I got a lot of family who are Pacer fans and they're more excited about this season than last. They knew Oladipo was made of glass. They think TJ should return to health also, which I can relate to all too well. If they can get healthy then I like them as a 2nd round team in the East.
Lol at them being excited about TJ’s return to health.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson