2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Huerter signs for 4 years at $65 million extension with Hawks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hawks swung for the fences this off season. Is it enough?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that's a solid core. Especially for the Eastern Conference.

The Hawks showed they could compete with the Bucks in the playoffs until Trae Young hurt his ankle.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Hawks swung for the fences this off season. Is it enough?

I think that might low. I thought Young got the $207 max? I know he was an All-Star already. I don't think he made All-NBA but I'm not certain how that works. I'll have to read up on it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are probably calculating Young's salary without the bonuses. I think he got the $207 million.

Edit, here is the link:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ion-max-extension-star-point-guard-trae-young

Apparently All-Star teams don't matter. I found this also...

The “Derrick Rose Rule,” which was created after Rose won his MVP while playing on his rookie contract, allows young stars in the NBA to qualify for a higher maximum salary–30% of the cap instead of 25%–early in their careers. When players are eligible for rookie-scale extensions, they can qualify for the “Derrick Rose Rule” if they are named to an All-NBA team in the most recent season or two of the past three seasons, named Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season or two of the past three seasons, or named MVP in any of the past three seasons

Which is a summary for the specific instance of rookie extensions.

Its more detailed on the CBA FAQ by Larry Coón.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently All-Star teams don't matter. I found this also...

The “Derrick Rose Rule,” which was created after Rose won his MVP while playing on his rookie contract, allows young stars in the NBA to qualify for a higher maximum salary–30% of the cap instead of 25%–early in their careers. When players are eligible for rookie-scale extensions, they can qualify for the “Derrick Rose Rule” if they are named to an All-NBA team in the most recent season or two of the past three seasons, named Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season or two of the past three seasons, or named MVP in any of the past three seasons

Which is a summary for the specific instance of rookie extensions.

Its more detailed on the CBA FAQ by Larry Coón.

so, likely in order for... forget it. this just sucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ben Simmons has been suspended for season opener.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just destroyed his trade value even more! The Sixers will be lucky to a 2nd round pick and some expiring contracts. His extension at 33 million a year kicks this year so who would even want it? Maybe Kyrie for Ben? Then Kyrie can play most games? They make almost the exact same this year.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should trade Ben for Kyrie! Same money, Ben can hide his shot in NJ and Kyrie can play!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw a story the other day about during the Sixers playoff run when it came out Simmons and Embiid's barber had Covid and that raised the question as to why neither of them were put in contact tracing protocols was because the guy didn't actually have Covid or he wasn't near them at the time, it was something Simmons camp leaked so he would get placed in Quarantine. That was during the Hawks series in the semi finals last postseason.

If that's true, like how bad does that make Simmons look? Faking Covid to get out of the spotlight because you have the biggest case of the yips ever recorded. Ill try to find it.

Edit - Here's the story...

It was one of the teams masseuse's who had an inconclusive covid test. When players were questioned if they saw her through Simmons claimed he had despite no one remembering him doing so. He was the only player who claimed they saw her also. This was prior to game 7. So some of my details above were off but I was close.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a story the other day about during the Sixers playoff run when it came out Simmons and Embiid's barber had Covid and that raised the question as to why neither of them were put in contact tracing protocols was because the guy didn't actually have Covid or he wasn't near them at the time, it was something Simmons camp leaked so he would get placed in Quarantine. That was during the Hawks series in the semi finals last postseason.

If that's true, like how bad does that make Simmons look? Faking Covid to get out of the spotlight because you have the biggest case of the yips ever recorded. Ill try to find it.

Edit - Here's the story...

It was one of the teams masseuse's who had an inconclusive covid test. When players were questioned if they saw her through Simmons claimed he had despite no one remembering him doing so. He was the only player who claimed they saw her also. This was prior to game 7. So some of my details above were off but I was close.

Wow.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joel Embiid tells it like it is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wow is an understatement. I think everyone in the country knows someone or has been guilty themselves of pretending to be healthier than they were for fear of being placed in Quarantine and having to miss work for a week or two. I know my roommate was livid because he has allergies and was sent home from work until he was able to return with a negative covid test after 3 days. Then here is Ben Simmons, trying to get out of game 7 of the eastern conference semifinals in Philly because he's scared of playing basketball.

I think Doc Rivers deserves more blame than he's received through this also. I can almost guarantee Monty isn't playing someone who is scared to play. Why did he keep Simmons on the floor? Seems like bad coaching. Not that Simmons isn't the one who deserves the majority of blame but Rivers has flown through this almost unscathed.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow is an understatement. I think everyone in the country knows someone or has been guilty themselves of pretending to be healthier than they were for fear of being placed in Quarantine and having to miss work for a week or two. I know my roommate was livid because he has allergies and was sent home from work until he was able to return with a negative covid test after 3 days. Then here is Ben Simmons, trying to get out of game 7 of the eastern conference semifinals in Philly because he's scared of playing basketball.

I think Doc Rivers deserves more blame than he's received through this also. I can almost guarantee Monty isn't playing someone who is scared to play. Why did he keep Simmons on the floor? Seems like bad coaching. Not that Simmons isn't the one who deserves the majority of blame but Rivers has flown through this almost unscathed.

Usually i like your takes, this one...Can you imagine the amount of crap Rivers would get for sitting a key player who's getting paid that amount of money? Even pulling Simmons in key moments of the game would bring so much backlash upon Rivers. He was already under scrutiny for underachieving in LA.

Rivers walked into the roster and played who he had to play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver needs to send flowers and a thank you basket to Ben Simmons. I’ve been on the road driving back to Phoenix for five hours and on the day the NBA season was starting the majority of the talk across multiple stations and shows were DESTROYING the Suns... until the Simmons news broke.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Usually i like your takes, this one...Can you imagine the amount of crap Rivers would get for sitting a key player who's getting paid that amount of money? Even pulling Simmons in key moments of the game would bring so much backlash upon Rivers. He was already under scrutiny for underachieving in LA.

Rivers walked into the roster and played who he had to play.

It just came to mind as I was writing the rest how Doc has avoided blame throughout this. I didn't mean to imply it's close to the same and thought about that as I was posting it but didn't quite know how to present it in a proper way. Like 90% is on Simmons and 10% Rivers, at most.

I look at it kind of like that coaching moment from the playoffs when everyone saw Monty hype up Ayton. If Monty sat Ayton at that point, he would have looked bad but if Ayton didn't buy into it though can you blame Monty for sitting him? We saw Ayton get hyped. It all worked out. However if you have a guy coasting and you push him and challenge him when there's 1 quarter left for all the marbles and he doesn't indicate he's willing to at least try to turn it around then sit him. It's a tough spot, sure, but you also need to explain to the 4 other guys out there on the team why you sent a bum out there with them and tell everyone on the bench that disinterested bum was a better option than what they could offer.

It's a very spot for a coach but coaching ain't easy. Maybe 95% Simmons and 5% Rivers.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton's agent got too big for his britches, thinking it was a slam dunk.
Now he has balls in his face, headed back to the bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That made me think of how Cam Johnson replaced his agent this summer. He hired Booker's dad as his new agent. That is who Ayton should have gone with. Genius move on Cam J's part. I bet his deal is wrapped up quick next offseason. There's no agent the Suns would want to please more than Booker's father.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There’s a quote by JJ that’s says something like

“we didn’t have real negotiations”

I don’t have access to read the full article. It it went like this…the agent told the suns Full Max or don’t even talk to us.

Then the agent leaks that a deal isn’t done to try and get things signed. Suns are still quiet about this.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sixers are in a real jam. They should have traded him over the summer, just taking whatever the best offer they could get instead of their over the top demands. Let him become someone else's problem.

Now they're really screwed. I would guess he will get moved in December, when more guys become eligible to be traded, and probably just for a few decent role players who's contracts make the math work. They will still probably be better for it... because, IMO, Simmons is a glorified role player. He shouldn't be a point guard, you can't have your primary ball handler be someone so bad at shooting that you need to remove them in key situations.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave