2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like after watching the Olympics that Booker was working on his other skills, like defense, to be more like Paul George. I can see where he saw the defensive play against him that was on a higher level, and I really think he was working on defense, rebounds and steals in the Olympics. I may be way off, but I feel Booker is working on being an all around player.

Agree. Booker is working hard to improve every part of his game. He will leave no stone unturned.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like after watching the Olympics that Booker was working on his other skills, like defense, to be more like Paul George. I can see where he saw the defensive play against him that was on a higher level, and I really think he was working on defense, rebounds and steals in the Olympics. I may be way off, but I feel Booker is working on being an all around player.
Maybe it was even more his focus in the Olympics but I believe this has been an on-going process for him. He's clearly been expending more energy on defense throughout this past year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Booker has shown he's a very coachable player. He didn't receive much quality direction early on in his NBA career but his scoring talent helped him standout. He was used as a sixth man, energy scorer in college so its no surprise he used that and adapted it to a larger role in the NBA. Once Monty came in though and started calling for him to step up elsewhere he's done the best he could to deliver. We saw in the Olympics how Booker would be under Pop, which is similar to who he was last season except more focused. He needed the elevated competition of the playoffs to reach the next level.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe it was even more his focus in the Olympics but I believe this has been an on-going process for him. He's clearly been expending more energy on defense throughout this past year.
I saw that too. It seemed he took it to another level in the Olympics. I'd like to see how he uses that play there, and how he relates that to his team mates. I would like to see him challenge each guy to work on different aspects of their games to get us over the top. Ayton has to grow more on offense to help us, and I feel that Javale has already been discussing how he has things to have Ayton grow his game on defense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I do actually have a minor respect for Ben Simmons sacrificing $8m to solidify his trade request instead of showing up and passively aggressive demanding a trade like others have.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do actually have a minor respect for Ben Simmons sacrificing $8m to solidify his trade request instead of showing up and passively aggressive demanding a trade like others have.

I hadn't looked at it that way. I viewed it as giving up $8 million so he doesn't have to practice. He seems so dead set on being the player he is rather than what he could be. He's good but he has the natural talent to be great. He lacks the mental drive to care though. I can't imagine how he'll look back on his career without regret.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he’s gutless and can’t stand to deal with the confrontation of the teammates he is screwing over. He supposedly wants a team to build their offense around him meanwhile the Sixers have bent over backwards to accommodate him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I read somewhere that he expects to get most of that money back.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how. He's got 2 or 3 years left on his deal and is a max player currently, I'm not sure how he can get that back.
I wouldn't know but I did read that even if he sits the season he still gets quite a bit of his salary.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how. He's got 2 or 3 years left on his deal and is a max player currently, I'm not sure how he can get that back.

The money is in an escrow account where fines and missed games are deducted. Simmons is not losing all the money permanently unless both sides continue to play hardball. I don't they will because they both lose and Simmons value goes down.

I expect him to get traded sooner rather than later. I understand the Pacers are now showing interest and probably other teams we don't know about.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think he’s gutless and can’t stand to deal with the confrontation of the teammates he is screwing over. He supposedly wants a team to build their offense around him meanwhile the Sixers have bent over backwards to accommodate him.
I heard on ESPN Radio that supposedly Doc offered that to him if he would just come back and play. When their Center is on break during a game, they would open it up for him to the the scorer and all offense revolves around him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew Wiggins gets vaccinated.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mandates work. And we need them if we ever want to get back to a semblance of normalcy.
I asked my mom if she had any choice when I got my shots as a kid in grade school. She said she didn't even get a permission slip. Just a note that we were getting our shots, period. We knew someone with polio, so my mom would not have said no.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA and NBPA reach agreement on reduction of pay for games missed by an unvaccinated player in home market due to local laws.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW this guy I know with connections to the Warriors has been telling me look out for Jordan Poole he finished strong and has really improved since then. I watched a bit of them last night and Poole was great, 30 in 20 minutes just looked effortless. Apparently they made minor tweaks to his shot to get the release faster(seems a bit lower to me which is odd) and they think it will make him more effective off screens. the big jump last year was his handle and drives the prediction this year is he'll be a better 3 point shooter, 29 as a rookie 35 last year so another jump would be huge.

With Klay not back yet would not be a shock if Poole is starting.

And yes very glad Wiggins finally got vaccinated.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets are trading Sekou Doumbouya and a second-round pick to Rockets.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns aren't even mentioned among the teams having a chance to win the NBA title in a survey of 30 GMs.

By Tim Bontemps ESPN:

In the annual survey of all 30 general managers released Tuesday by NBA.com, the Nets received 72% of the votes to win the title, putting them well ahead of the only other teams to get any votes: the Los Angeles Lakers (17%) and the defending champion Milwaukee Bucks (10%).

The Nets and Bucks, not surprisingly, also dominated the voting in the Eastern Conference, finishing first and second, respectively, and were followed by the Miami Heat, Philadelphia 76ers, Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics and Indiana Pacers. Likewise, the Lakers were the runaway pick in the West, followed by the Utah Jazz, Phoenix Suns, Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, LA Clippers, Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd put the Bucks above either the cancer ridden Nets or the unbalanced and ancient Lakers.

I think the league is wide open this year, just as it was last. Kyrie is never taking the needle, so the Nets are going to not only be short handed but drenched in drama all year. I think the Lakers will implode. That leaves the Bucks, Jazz, Nuggets, Clippers and Phoeniiiiiiiiix SUNS as the top contenders in my mind. All of them hoping to win the lottery of luck and health.

Honorable mention to the Sixers (if they actually get a good haul for Simmons) Warriors and Heat as dark horse contenders.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd put the Bucks above either the cancer ridden Nets or the unbalanced and ancient Lakers.

I think the league is wide open this year, just as it was last. Kyrie is never taking the needle, so the Nets are going to not only be short handed but drenched in drama all year. I think the Lakers will implode. That leaves the Bucks, Jazz, Nuggets, Clippers and Phoeniiiiiiiiix SUNS as the top contenders in my mind. All of them hoping to win the lottery of luck and health.

Honorable mention to the Sixers (if they actually get a good haul for Simmons) Warriors and Heat as dark horse contenders.

I don't disagree with most of this but I think you're sleeping on the Hawks.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FWIW this guy I know with connections to the Warriors has been telling me look out for Jordan Poole he finished strong and has really improved since then. I watched a bit of them last night and Poole was great, 30 in 20 minutes just looked effortless. Apparently they made minor tweaks to his shot to get the release faster(seems a bit lower to me which is odd) and they think it will make him more effective off screens. the big jump last year was his handle and drives the prediction this year is he'll be a better 3 point shooter, 29 as a rookie 35 last year so another jump would be huge.

With Klay not back yet would not be a shock if Poole is starting.

And yes very glad Wiggins finally got vaccinated.
If Poole takes a leap, all of a sudden you see a bridge from Steph/Klay/Draymond era. Will be very interesting how he pans out. That’s why I wish we had a bridge PG once CP3 is done in the next 3-4 years. I thought Halliburton would go top 5 and he fell to Sac.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Poole takes a leap, all of a sudden you see a bridge from Steph/Klay/Draymond era. Will be very interesting how he pans out. That’s why I wish we had a bridge PG once CP3 is done in the next 3-4 years. I thought Halliburton would go top 5 and he fell to Sac.

Yeah I think Poole is more an undersized 2 than a 1 but with Klay uncertain when he's going to play and how good he'll be after 2 years off they can use the scoring. The big drop is defense, Klay is a really good defender Poole not so much so far although he got better there too.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bulls looks like a fluid team, i know it mostly highlights, and against the Cavs, i've watched but they all compliment each other really well. They have the makeup of winning teams in the nba. A very serviceable center in Vucevic surrounded by wing players. Ball can be a distributor while being competent on defense. Derozan and Lavine are scorers, both 1 on 1, Derozan can post other guards and Lavine can shoot or slash. Add in Green and Caruso for some solid wing depth as well. They are definitely lacking in the "pf" position though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson