2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charlotte is pretty dumb when it comes to free agents and extensions. I wish we could benefit from it somehow. We only have 1 bad franchise in our division now since the Clippers ditched Sterling and the Warriors finally turned the corner.

This is all leading up to how much the Suns may end up paying Bridges and Ayton. Teams overpaying players certainly does not help the situation. I believe Ayton will get the max but I was hoping to sign Bridges for something less.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is all leading up to how much the Suns may end up paying Bridges and Ayton. Teams overpaying players certainly does not help the situation. I believe Ayton will get the max but I was hoping to sign Bridges for something less.

Suns should just sign Mikal now. He is only going to get more expensive next season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns should just sign Mikal now. He is only going to get more expensive next season.

I guess it all comes down to the math and how much will Bridges will accept for an extension.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like a step in the right direction concerning how marijuana is viewed in the NBA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most of the over pays have been PG's. No wings have received crazy paydays that we should worry about. I know some wings like McDermott were overpaid but that's mainly because most saw him as a MLE type player but he got like $12 million a year.

You got to look at other wings though to see what sort of deal Mikal might be asking for. I think a good comparison is Jaylen Brown who signed an extension for 4 years $107 million prior to last season. That seems a fair comparison for Mikal although he isn't the scorer Jaylen is. That is a little high for Mikal IMO but I can see his agent using that as a starting point or what he sees as a "max" for Mikal because he's not getting the true max. He won't get that as a Restricted Free Agent either but $25 million a year to start wouldn't be that surprising of an offer.

I still contend he's worth about 4/$80 million. I'd be surprised if he got more from us given the other deals JJ has signed as a GM. He seems to have a knack for negotiating.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the over pays have been PG's. No wings have received crazy paydays that we should worry about. I know some wings like McDermott were overpaid but that's mainly because most saw him as a MLE type player but he got like $12 million a year.

You got to look at other wings though to see what sort of deal Mikal might be asking for. I think a good comparison is Jaylen Brown who signed an extension for 4 years $107 million prior to last season. That seems a fair comparison for Mikal although he isn't the scorer Jaylen is. That is a little high for Mikal IMO but I can see his agent using that as a starting point or what he sees as a "max" for Mikal because he's not getting the true max. He won't get that as a Restricted Free Agent either but $25 million a year to start wouldn't be that surprising of an offer.

I still contend he's worth about 4/$80 million. I'd be surprised if he got more from us given the other deals JJ has signed as a GM. He seems to have a knack for negotiating.

If the Suns sign Bridges for less 4/$100 million it will be fair. I think he is worth about 4/$80 million as well but I don't think that is happening.

I'm hoping for something near 4/$92 million.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The expectation is for a lot of trades with a less than stellar free agency market in 2022.

By Bobby Marks, ESPN:

"Because next offseason is average at best in talent, I am expecting the trade market to be extremely active during the regular season," a Western Conference general manager told ESPN.

Other than internal improvement -- young players taking a step in their development, continuity and health -- the lone avenue likely to improve a team's roster will be in trades. The LA Clippers got a jump on that Monday when they acquired Eric Bledsoe from the Memphis Grizzlies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert Williams agrees to 4 year/ $54 million extension with Celtics.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t get why he doesn’t play more. His per 36 would be around 16 pts 14 rebs 4 blocks 2 steals on 70% shooting.

That's a good question. At times I think the Celtics were looking for a more traditional center. I bet he gets more minutes this season.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its his max not the league max. He signed for $20 million a year or something a couple years back so the max extension he can is 120% of what he was making, I believe. League max for him would have 30% of the cap, which is a few million more. He's still making just under $25 million a year, which isn't the true max.

Its still an overpay though.
Hoop you hated the trade Charlotte made with Boston for Rozier like most people but it worked out for Charlotte. Rozier wants to be in Charlotte and had a good year. Him and Haywood are the Booker and Paul for this team. Stop the hate they needed to sign him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoop you hated the trade Charlotte made with Boston for Rozier like most people but it worked out for Charlotte. Rozier wants to be in Charlotte and had a good year. Him and Haywood are the Booker and Paul for this team. Stop the hate they needed to sign him.
Yeah... that’s a ghost take. He’s been a good player for them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Saying its an overpay isn't hate. Charlotte is a bad team in an undesirable market, its not surprising they have to overpay to retain talent.

Rozier is overpaid though. Ball is a better PG so why they paid Rozier $25 million a year is odd. I think keeping Graham at half the money Rozier is getting would have been better for them.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Saying its an overpay isn't hate. Charlotte is a bad team in an undesirable market, its not surprising they have to overpay to retain talent.

Rozier is overpaid though. Ball is a better PG so why they paid Rozier $25 million a year is odd. I think keeping Graham at half the money Rozier is getting would have been better for them.
I think its hate in some way. Just like saying Charlotte in an undesirable market. Hell they say the same thing about Phoenix which is bull. Do you hate Jordan?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its hate in some way. Just like saying Charlotte in an undesirable market. Hell they say the same thing about Phoenix which is bull. Do you hate Jordan?

it’s probably not hate as much as having formed an opinion based on Rozier’s time in Boston not watching a lot of the Hornets to see how well he played last year.

y’all always go to emotion if someone talks down about a player. That’s just not always the case.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Jordan but he's been a bad owner. I don't think that's a controversial take either. How many times have the Hornets/Bobcats made the postseason under MJ? Have they ever won a playoff series? How about a 50 win season? I'm not basing my views on feelings so much as history.

Charlotte isn't a desirable location. Phoenix is more desirable but not by a huge margin. Phoenix lands in the mid market tier of teams but Charlotte would probably be towards the top of the small market tier. They've had trouble supporting a basketball franchise in terms of ticket sales which is part of why they lost the Hornets to New Orleans at the beginning of the Millennium. Phoenix hasn't been at risk of losing the Suns because of local support so it is fair to say its higher in the NBA hierarchy.

I'm not alone in thinking Rozier is overpaid. Like I said, I'd much rather have Devonte Graham at half the salary but they let Graham walk and elected to pay Rozier. I'd be surprised if they aren't looking to unload that salary before it expires. They have a history of that with signing guys like Batum to max deals and having to buy them out. Again, they have Lamelo as their PG so why pay Rozier big bucks? Isn't Lamelo their future? If he is then they overpaid for a 6th man. Any team that pays a bench player $25+ million a year is dumb.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hornets left because the owner wanted a new stadium, not ticket sales. Jordan's teams have been bad and I laughed when Mitch Kupchak came as GM but he's turned it around. I'll give him the benefit of wait and see. Rozier will play as many minutes as Paul and that contract will be over when Lamelo needs paid.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reportedly if the Nets extend Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and James Harden this off season it could cost $541 million dollars.

That's a lot of money for three players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish Alex Caruso the best... just not against the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we are talking about basketball cards in August.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose