2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland didn't give up a lot for Larry Nance Jr. with the protected first round pick.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what Cleveland gets in the trade the most... Lauri Markkanen.

I think you might be overrating Jones Jr a bit. He played pretty solid defense the 2 or 3 years he was in Miami but I wasn't impressed by him in Portland.

All the players involved have flaws but I like the trade better for both Cleveland and Portland right now. Granted, the Bulls got a protected first and a second rounder so the true loss or gain won't be known for awhile. Derrick is still only 24 so maybe he raises his game considerably from here on but if the Jones of the past is the best you get from this deal, I think you're going to be very disappointed down the road.

Regardless, Markkanen had to go, and this trade notwithstanding, the Bulls have had a very strong offseason.

Watching for 4 years, he's an often injured soft player who plays zero defense and is a streaky shooter at best.

Derek Jones Jr. will be thr 8th or 9th guy off the bench and we got back the second 1st rounder we gave up for Vucevic. I love this S&T and love how much Cleveland paid for him.

He's Dirk 0.5!

Now, I will say, I would rather have had Nace, but I trust this front office Jones Jr. is the right peice here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vaccination rules for NBA personnel.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching for 4 years, he's an often injured soft player who plays zero defense and is a streaky shooter at best.

Derek Jones Jr. will be thr 8th or 9th guy off the bench and we got back the second 1st rounder we gave up for Vucevic. I love this S&T and love how much Cleveland paid for him.

He's Dirk 0.5!

Now, I will say, I would rather have had Nace, but I trust this front office Jones Jr. is the right peice here.
The injuries and health problems worry me a lot but I think you overstate the lack of defense and the idea he's soft. He didn't look soft or horrible on defense at UA nor in Chicago his first season with Hoiberg. And not too many players thrived under Boylen. Donovan long term probably would have been good for him but Lauri needs to play alongside a good big man and moving him to small forward was never going to work IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's Dirk 0.5!

I think Lauri Markkanen had more value but I like the Bulls other moves like adding Lonzo Ball, DeMar DeRozan and Nikola Vučević.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injuries and health problems worry me a lot but I think you overstate the lack of defense and the idea he's soft. He didn't look soft or horrible on defense at UA nor in Chicago his first season with Hoiberg. And not too many players thrived under Boylen. Donovan long term probably would have been good for him but Lauri needs to play alongside a good big man and moving him to small forward was never going to work IMO.
I think he's a good kid, so I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell and I won't mind being wrong about him.

And you are 100% right about how bad Boylen was. That hiring got GarPax fired.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Lauri Markkanen had more value but I like the Bulls other moves like adding Lonzo Ball, DeMar DeRozan and Nikola Vučević.
The Bulls just wanted a 1st rounder knowing it was a time to move on. Everyone knew the Bulls and him wanted a fresh start and getting Jones, low risk-high reward, is a bonus. I wish him well, just don't see anything ore than a role player at this point. He thinks he's more.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bulls just wanted a 1st rounder knowing it was a time to move on. Everyone knew the Bulls and him wanted a fresh start and getting Jones, low risk-high reward, is a bonus. I wish him well, just don't see anything ore than a role player at this point. He thinks he's more.

I understand it from the Bulls perspective. They are doing some good things in Chicago.

In the 2017 NBA draft I liked De'Aaron Fox at #4 but Markkanen was very close. Of course the Suns chose Josh Jackson.

I do think Markkanen can be more with the right team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is kind of funny. So if a player doesn't want to be in Chicago, how about Cleveland.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the NBA is trying to eliminate as much risk as possible since players are not required to be vaccinated.

By AP via ESPN:

The agreement with the referees was revealed one day after the league told its teams that anyone within close proximity -- defined in most cases as being 15 feet -- of players and referees will have to be vaccinated. That mandate covers, among others, coaches, support staff traveling with teams, locker room attendants and those working at official scorer's tables in NBA arenas.

Players are not required to be fully vaccinated, although many were last season after the league encouraged them to do so by agreeing to relax some health and safety protocols for those who were -- including fewer mandated coronavirus tests, no quarantine requirements after contact tracing issues and more freedoms on road trips.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course we knew something like this was coming.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Svi Mykhailiuk agrees to two year contract with Raptors.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

gasol and ariza are older and pretty much done.

rondo didn’t see much time in the playoffs too.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was wrong about Rondo making a difference for the Clippers. Westbrook and Rondo on the same team is just bizarre.

Lebron and Westbrook were already un-coachable, AD refuses to play the 5 full time and Rondo is in his own world. Good luck Frank.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wrong about Rondo making a difference for the Clippers. Westbrook and Rondo on the same team is just bizarre.

Lebron and Westbrook were already un-coachable, AD refuses to play the 5 full time and Rondo is in his own world. Good luck Frank.

It seems like the Lakers prioritize adding talent first and making it work second. I don't think the Lakers worry much about coaching.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Don’t forget Howard. And ariza is a quitter.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m still baffled how Ariza gets to make that much money

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If and when Ben Simmons gets traded this might trigger some other moves around the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson