2020 Free Agent Targets

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever this season ends, the offseason will follow and the Suns have a number of needs to address. They need to add a PF or 2, a backup PG, someone who can come off the bench and score, and fill out the rest of the bench with people who can hopefully step up if their number gets called. I thought I'd get a thread going for people to discuss players the Suns should target in free agency this summer.

This crop of free agents doesn't have many top names, or any, depending on what you consider a top name to be. There are a few interesting options out there though in the pool of players that will be available, mostly unproven youngsters and aging vets. Considering the Suns don't have a ton of money to spend, at most $25 million in cap space if they renounce all of their own free agents, that should be fine.

Just to kick things off, I'll list the Suns own free agents

Team Options - Cheick Diallo and Frank Kaminsky
Restricted Free Agents - Dario Saric and Javon Carter
Unrestricted Free Agents - Aron Baynes

Also worth noting that Elie Okobo's third year is not guaranteed if waived before July 10th but that date will probably change. He's only due to make the league minimum.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't the cap likely to be decreased significantly as it's a percentage of revenue?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't the cap likely to be decreased significantly as it's a percentage of revenue?

Interesting point. I'm wondering if this would make the Suns CAP space more valuable.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would let Kaminsky and Saric go, and keep Diallo. If Carter is willing to re-sign for the min, him too.

I'm hesitant regarding Okobo and Baynes. The frenchman is very close to becoming a finished and failed prospect. Still, he might get one more year.

Baynes is one of the league's best backup bigmen, but I would not go into a bidding war for him because he doesn't the team's timeline and rebuilding stage.

My primary FA targets would be Bertans and Woods, if Baynes signs elsewhere.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
NBA has more small teams then the past but the Lakers are a big team. That being said the Suns need to get another big, Woods would be nice. I think Jones will keep the core and not trade anyone to finally get some team play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would let Kaminsky and Saric go, and keep Diallo. If Carter is willing to re-sign for the min, him too.

I'm hesitant regarding Okobo and Baynes. The frenchman is very close to becoming a finished and failed prospect. Still, he might get one more year.

Baynes is one of the league's best backup bigmen, but I would not go into a bidding war for him because he doesn't the team's timeline and rebuilding stage.

My primary FA targets would be Bertans and Woods, if Baynes signs elsewhere.

Bertans can't defend, rebound or rim-protect, either, and he also has zero athleticism. He is just a better shooting version of Saric and Kaminsky. Not at all what we need.