2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard is out indefinitely with a reported right knee sprain.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Would be great for James Jones’ EOY application if Suns split in Utah after a big game from Moore

Since you've been following the league for so long, I'm surprised you don't know that voting for league awards takes place at the close of the regular season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My, my, my.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More testing to be done on Kawhi Leonard after swelling goes down.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Ugh. Guess I'll have to root for my 2nd fave team the Suns now.

Injuries to the game's biggest stars are out of control. Kawai is at least the 8th different All Star to miss a playoff game this year so far (Leonard, Davis, Harden, Irving, Mitchell, Conley, Brown, Embiid - Paul would be the 9th, granted not thru injury). It's getting to be too much to be a coincidence. The league really needs to look into this, there needs to be more days off between games or something.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh. Guess I'll have to root for my 2nd fave team the Suns now.

Injuries to the game's biggest stars are out of control. Kawai is at least the 8th different All Star to miss a playoff game this year so far (Leonard, Davis, Harden, Irving, Mitchell, Conley, Brown, Embiid - Paul would be the 9th, granted not thru injury). It's getting to be too much to be a coincidence. The league really needs to look into this, there needs to be more days off between games or something.
Or back it up a bit and think that these guys are getting injured because of their lack of conditioning throughout a season by taking time off the way the superstars do. Lack of consistency with training can cause these types of potential issues IMO.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Or back it up a bit and think that these guys are getting injured because of their lack of conditioning throughout a season by taking time off the way the superstars do. Lack of consistency with training can cause these types of potential issues IMO.

LOL @ lack of conditioning. These are the most fit and trained athletes in the world, there are no fatties in the league anymore, no Barkley's smoking cigars and gambling all night before a game. The game is being played at a faster pace than ever, and the rules, especially defensively (no hand checking, etc.), make them work harder and be more precise than previous generations.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL @ lack of conditioning. These are the most fit athletes in the world
Did I say otherwise?... I mentioned that some of the superstars, as you implied, are at the fate of alot of these injuries. Where's the real coincidence in these cases? IMO, with these same superstars taking random time off to rest unlike the rest of the players in the league.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Did I say otherwise?... I mentioned that some of the superstars, as you implied, are at the fate of alot of these injuries. Where's the real coincidence in these cases? IMO, with these same superstars taking random time off to rest unlike the rest of the players in the league.

Not buying it. The real cooincendence is that stars play the most minutes, especially at playoff time. You are a lot less likely to get injured on the bench or only playing 5 or 10 minutes.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not buying it. The real cooincendence is that stars play the most minutes, especially at playoff time. You are a lot less likely to get injured on the bench or only playing 5 or 10 minutes.
Well.. you're kinda making my point. The load of minutes they now play in the postseason, their bodies are not ready for because of the lack of time on the court prior during the reg season. I think that is important. But it's cool. Agree to disagree. :thumbup:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injuries are right around where they've been the last few years. We're not seeing significantly more or less across the board. I think there is a little more attention being paid to them currently because there are more.teams with a legit shot at a title than years past so every missed game is viewed as more detrimental, or beneficial, than usual.

Right now there are 6 teams with legit shots at being champions. It'll be a toss up in the conference finals on both sides. I could see any team other than Atlanta winning it all. I can't recall the last time things seemed that open.

Here's some research done by the league on injuries this year from before the regular season ended.

NBA.com/news/nba-says-injury-rate-down-slightly-from-normal

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose