2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr not saying anything during that press conference and deferring all KD questions to the GM, who is supposed to come out later, is odd. That injury has to be more than just reaggravating his existing injury.

If it is his achilles then I think he'll pick up the player option and stick around to get paid on Golden State's dime.

That would certainly change this offseason quite a bit, whether he stays or not, if it is his achilles or something more serious.

I was surprised at his crutches he was putting weight on the leg not carryign it off the floor.

I never expected him to play this series, I give him props for doing so but I suspect he made it worse by doing so.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kerr not saying anything during that press conference and deferring all KD questions to the GM, who is supposed to come out later, is odd. That injury has to be more than just reaggravating his existing injury.

If it is his achilles then I think he'll pick up the player option and stick around to get paid on Golden State's dime.

That would certainly change this offseason quite a bit, whether he stays or not, if it is his achilles or something more serious.

He won't pick up his option, there will still be plenty of teams wanting to give him the full max.

What it does change is the likelihood of another star tagging along this summer, if the Knicks or Nets sign him then they might sit on the rest of their cap room and wait a year to bring in another star.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've never seen a GM cry during a press briefing like that. Who knows how this plays out but I'm pretty sure the injury is quite serious and they're all aware of it right now but they aren't saying anything until the MRI confirms it and at that point they won't be able to keep it quiet any longer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won't pick up his option, there will still be plenty of teams wanting to give him the full max.

What it does change is the likelihood of another star tagging along this summer, if the Knicks or Nets sign him then they might sit on the rest of their cap room and wait a year to bring in another star.

oh yeah... GREAT point. What a monkey wrench this throws into everything. What big name FA is going to basically just willing to punt an entire season of their prime to hook up with a KD who not only will miss one season but might never be THE KD he's been?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a GM cry during a press briefing like that. Who knows how this plays out but I'm pretty sure the injury is quite serious and they're all aware of it right now but they aren't saying anything until the MRI confirms it and at that point they won't be able to keep it quiet any longer.

me neither. he was REALLY broken up by this.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If he did tear it all the way then I think the Warriors doctors must have missed a partial tear last month.

That could well be. I'm pretty sure I originally tore mine only partially, and then it went the rest of the way when I slipped on an ill-fated boat ride. Unfortunately I didn't get to a competent doctor until the second injury.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If they didn't know he had a partial tear, for devil's advocate, then there probably wasn't a thought about him injuring whatever they thought the injury was. Obviously they were wrong, but I don't think they let him go forward if they think he had an achilles injury.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah. I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I know someone will pay him regardless of the injury but I think signing elsewhere will create a lot of unnecessary noise while he works on rehabbing. He has the chance to stick around and get paid really close to what he'd get in the open market and not have to deal with the negativity that he would by leaving right now.

It's not a matter of if he leaves Golden State now but when. He's in a unique position in that he can pick up the option and sit out all year without a worry. No matter where he signs and what that team says about waiting for him, there will be calls toward the end of the year about when he'll return and how he'll look. The fanbase won't be as patient or as understanding as another front office will be. He also doesn't know how another front office will treat him as far as if they'll push for him to return early or not. There are a lot of variables involved if he signs elsewhere.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no chance in hell he was making that shot.

This series has totally changed my opinion of Lowry. Always thought he was tough kid who couldn't handle the pressure in the playoffs. It's become really obvious he was being held back by Derozan becuase Demar is a selfish guy who doesn't give the ball up at the right time so Lowry was constantly shooting shots late in the shot clock.

Also classy guy, handled the push well and tonight when the fans were booing he was over there consoling Durant and I think I even saw him make the shut up signal to the crowd.

New respect for Kyle Lowry

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This series has totally changed my opinion of Lowry. Always thought he was tough kid who couldn't handle the pressure in the playoffs. It's become really obvious he was being held back by Derozan becuase Demar is a selfish guy who doesn't give the ball up at the right time so Lowry was constantly shooting shots late in the shot clock.

Also classy guy, handled the push well and tonight when the fans were booing he was over there consoling Durant and I think I even saw him make the shut up signal to the crowd.

New respect for Kyle Lowry

I’d respect him too if he choked away a championship against my favorite team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you watching the same game? Draymond blocked the last shot by Lowry. And Lowry kept them in the game with one bucket after another against Boogie 18 and 6 and most of it in the clutch IMO.

While I'm at it, yes Cousins set a moving screen but watch Van Vleet on that play at the start of the play he's faceguarding Steph with a fist full of jersey. Steph gets loose and tries to curl around the screen and VV grabs the jersey again. Yes the screen was illegal but that's why Steph is arguing after that call he's not saying it's not a moving screen he's saying he is holding my jersey.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Are you watching the same game? Draymond blocked the last shot by Lowry. And Lowry kept them in the game with one bucket after another against Boogie 18 and 6 and most of it in the clutch IMO.

While I'm at it, yes Cousins set a moving screen but watch Van Vleet on that play at the start of the play he's faceguarding Steph with a fist full of jersey. Steph gets loose and tries to curl around the screen and VV grabs the jersey again. Yes the screen was illegal but that's why Steph is arguing after that call he's not saying it's not a moving screen he's saying he is holding my jersey.

I was hoping it was blocked in real time because it hit the basket support. I haven’t seen any up close replays but there is a shot on Twitter that looks like Dray got a piece of it. They say reach is important...

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He hasn't choked in this series. He had a bad 4th quarter and he took too long on that final shot, which let Draymond be able to close in and block it, but he hasn't choked. He hasn't shot great this series but he has played quite well. Have you watched anything other than the 4th quarter tonight?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I just watch the replay of injury...not only did 1/2 the crowd cheer a bunch of the fans including their superfan other than Drake was waiving and shouting "Goodbye" to KD as soon as he hit the floor!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If they didn't know he had a partial tear, for devil's advocate, then there probably wasn't a thought about him injuring whatever they thought the injury was. Obviously they were wrong, but I don't think they let him go forward if they think he had an achilles injury.

I believe wholeheartedly they knew, that's why he was shut down. In the hopes, unlikely that it ever could, would heal. If they didn't need him to win, they don't, but down 1-3, they needed him.

It's like the Richard Sherman situation imo. It was just a matter of time.

They waited until the finals, it popped or whatever. Better now than beginning of next year.

Of course the talking heads are going to scream that Durant should of 'protected himself' because that's what they do, but this was coming one way or another.

They used him at the right time. They waited until they absolutely needed him. The game completely mattered. I give credit he didn't wuss out and it pops anyway next season/training camp.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I am looking and KD has a player option for $31,500,000 this next season. If he is injured, why wouldn't he just pick up his option?
It’s already being reported he is opting in. FWIW, Dubs are still giving Klay the Max and Lacob is already on record stating they are willing to print money and pay whatever it takes if they believe team can continue to play for titles.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s already being reported he is opting in. FWIW, Dubs are still giving Klay the Max and Lacob is already on record stating they are willing to print money and pay whatever it takes if they believe team can continue to play for titles.

It's the smart thing to do. That allows him to focus more on his recovery than anything else. He knows the sort of care and treatment he'll receive by those associated with the Warriors franchise and that's got to be reassuring.

I know some might say that they're same people who pushed him out there today but Durant wasn't going to play unless he felt he was ready to play. I really can't see the Warriors forcing him to play.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reason number 6,654,654 why the NBA needs an NFL style hard cap with ZERO exceptions

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard