2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m just tired of the Warriors. I don’t hate them or think they’re bad for the league but all the GS conversations are becoming artificial at this point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just tired of the Warriors. I don’t hate them or think they’re bad for the league but all the GS conversations are becoming artificial at this point.

I have to admit having KD out has revitalized me a bit. Not that I don't like KD, and I think it's his last year with the Warriors anyways. But it made it more interesting for me to see how far they can go this year without him. At this point I'm on house money figuring they would lose to the Rockets.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
GS is light on bigs. Assuming the Bucks get there, it's an interesting situation with match ups. I expect at least one hard (dirty) foul by Draymond that gets guys off the Bucks bench resulting in suspensions for a game. :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game 2 should be a much tougher game because Terry Stotts is a very good coach and Portland typically plays with a ton of pride.

The Blazers looked tired but —for a while there—the Blazers could do almost nothing right and we’re still only down 6-8 pts. Additionally, Kanter had almost 20 rebounds and Hood and Harkless were very solid. Lillard and McCollum are going to shoot much better.

I expect they will be better and have a better game plan.

Little concerned about Iggy he came up holding his back after that 1 play he's had lots of back problems in recent years. The Warriors are so thin right now with Durant and Boogie out they can't afford to lose anybody else.

nice to see Cook make a couple of 3's in the 2nd half, would be nice to be able to rest Steph a minute or two more per half.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Little concerned about Iggy he came up holding his back after that 1 play he's had lots of back problems in recent years. The Warriors are so thin right now with Durant and Boogie out they can't afford to lose anybody else.

nice to see Cook make a couple of 3's in the 2nd half, would be nice to be able to rest Steph a minute or two more per half.
Cook was on fire when he came up. Then he came back to earth. He has the potential. They need a third or fourth guy to give them some scoring. Aside from that, some defense on the Portland guards would be nice! LOL!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

I think Jordan Bell hip caught Iggy in the lower back as they both went up for the rebound. I was concerned too, I hope since no news on it it’s okay...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cook was on fire when he came up. Then he came back to earth. He has the potential. They need a third or fourth guy to give them some scoring. Aside from that, some defense on the Portland guards would be nice! LOL!

Yeah he shot really well down the stretch in the regular season but not the playoffs. his whole issue is defense he just can't guard anybody.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raptors go down to the Bucks 108-100. Brook Lopez (29) was the Bucks leading scorer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching Milwaukee I always get the notion that teams are going to figure out Greek Freak and shut him down but he always eventually finds a way. So much of his offense is back up, square up the defender and then just drive in and use that long stride. Ibaka and company were really bothering him last night, it's why if he doesn't develop a better shot it could be a problem later in his career. Seems like the logical way to defend him is with a smaller player that can stay in front but once he gets inside 10 feet his size and length just overwhelms smaller guys.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There is a reason we beat Milwaukee this last season. When you have a seven footer that can move well on defense like Dragan Bender, he at least makes the Greek Freak alter his shots. Slows the team down a bit offensively.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There is a reason we beat Milwaukee this last season. When you have a seven footer that can move well on defense like Dragan Bender, he at least makes the Greek Freak alter his shots. Slows the team down a bit offensively.
Ayton guarded him more. Ayton will dominate the Freak going forward in the half court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ayton guarded him more. Ayton will dominate the Freak going forward in the half court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably no team last year had that combination of two 7 footers that could guard him. Both guys are nimble on their feet for 7 footers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't see the games but the stats say 28 PPG 11.5 rpg and he shot 73% against you in 2 games? But you won both games so I guess that makes the argument you held him down. The first game he went 14-16 from the floor but still lost.

Interesting the Suns beat Milwaukee twice and the Warriors once this year pretty impressive.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I didn't see the games but the stats say 28 PPG 11.5 rpg and he shot 73% against you in 2 games? But you won both games so I guess that makes the argument you held him down. The first game he went 14-16 from the floor but still lost.

Interesting the Suns beat Milwaukee twice and the Warriors once this year pretty impressive.

We swept Milwaukee and should have swept Boston if not for Igor.

Yeah we had some quality wins.

If we actually acquired a real PG and stopped playing prospects who have a negative impact on the floor we would automatically get a lot better.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Just denying him touches is a win. The Suns did a good job of that in the half court. Hard to stop him on turn overs when it's a fast break scenario. He finishes like Amare when he gets an open run.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just denying him touches is a win. The Suns did a good job of that in the half court. Hard to stop him on turn overs when it's a fast break scenario. He finishes like Amare when he gets an open run.

As efficiently as Amare lol, Amare's finishes were special.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol... this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen written on this forum.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
lol... this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen written on this forum.

It's not even the funniest thing in this thread -- that honor goes to the claim that the Suns played the Bucks tough because of Bender's defense.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not sure about comparing him to Amare. He does complete dunks that the majority of players wouldn't even try but he doesn't have the power or anger that Amare had when he was finishing inside. I don't think that's something he'll develop either. You either have that or you don't. I don't mean a will to win either, that can be something picked up over time. When Amare was going at the basket it was like he was trying to murder the ball, the basket, and anyone or thing in his way. That desire can't be taught and was one of the things that made Amare special.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess I think he is like Amare because he dunks over guys you wouldn't think, just like Amare. Height above rim like Amare. Etc. Maybe we are talking a difference of dunking hard, but I see highlights where he IS dunking hard. I wouldn't stick my arm up there. I think there's a little Amare growing in stature in this forum after retirement. Wilt and Daryl Dawkins had power dunks! Guys have said they were afraid of Wilt's dunks. There is a whole legendary story where Wilt backed off on a dunk and let a guy "block" him and that guy swears Wilt backed off and he was sure Wilt could have broken his arm. All Dawkins did is break multiple backboards before the NBA told him to back off!

Amare did dunk hard. Way harder than Greek Freak. Not sure that much harder. But sure, I will bow to your guy's opinions that Amare dunks harder. I was surprised everyone here freaked out that I dared to compare Amare to someone. :)

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare did dunk hard. Way harder than Greek Freak. Not sure that much harder. But sure, I will bow to your guy's opinions that Amare dunks harder. I was surprised everyone here freaked out that I dared to compare Amare to someone. :)

I don't think the comparison is that far off. I can see why someone would make it and I agree with you that Amare's rep has gone up a good amount since he's retired. I know there's also a lot of "What If" to his game as far as what he could have became if he didn't have the knee surgeries.

I think there is also a big difference between pre and post microfracture Amare so when making a comparison to him if you elaborate on which version he reminds you of then there would be less debate. Post microfracture Amare? Sure, I can see that. Pre microfracture though? Amare was basically prime Shawn Kemp at 21 years old. It's scary to think what he might have become.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn