2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I am a bit mystified by Kawhi. He seems so much less athletic than he used to be. He looks heavy-footed and doesn't seem to get much lift these days. But shots just go in--from every angle. And he is such a sneaky defender. He does not miss an opportunity to swipe the ball away etc.

He was never considered an elite athlete. His frame and coordination is about elite as it gets. The way he moves reminds me of late 90’s MJ.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was never considered an elite athlete. His frame and coordination is about elite as it gets. The way he moves reminds me of late 90’s MJ.

I picture the motions they go through when they finish off offensive, good point.

I am a bit mystified by Kawhi. He seems so much less athletic than he used to be. He looks heavy-footed and doesn't seem to get much lift these days. But shots just go in--from every angle. And he is such a sneaky defender. He does not miss an opportunity to swipe the ball away etc.

Maybe the injury made him play more efficient so he doesn't go 100% all the time. But who knows since we never knew the full story on the injury. Could also just be playing smarter and not harder considering he's been in the league for a while now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Anyone else find it intriguing that the teams left in the playoffs represent Portland, San Fransisco, Toronto and Milwaukee? Golden State is considered the 10th biggest market, while Toronto is considered 14th. Milwaukee and Portland are small market teams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anyone else find it intriguing that the teams left in the playoffs represent Portland, San Fransisco, Toronto and Milwaukee? Golden State is considered the 10th biggest market, while Toronto is considered 14th. Milwaukee and Portland are small market teams.
Just nice to see some fresh faces in the final four and a guaranteed new face from the eastern conference.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yeah I was hoping for Toronto (I can't stomach the 76ers) and Portland. Too bad Houston got eliminated. It would be so sweet to see Dantoni run around on the court with a huge smile on his face while Curry and Durant and the rest of the mean girls hung their heads.

Another positive is no Lebron.

I guess it will be Bucks - Warriors in the finals and Warriors will win again, but there are worse things, like you know, Donald.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Incredible shot. I wonder if that helps convince Kawhi to stay. KaWOW!

If he’s even considering staying, I think it helps. But if he’s not, I’m not sure even a finals trip changes anything. He already has a title and a finals MVP, and was already willing to leave a contender. But of course he hasn’t said anything, so really I know nothing!

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, whose rankings are these? Only NY, LA, and CHI are bigger than Toronto, and the Raptors media is pretty much national (over 30 million).

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he’s even considering staying, I think it helps. But if he’s not, I’m not sure even a finals trip changes anything. He already has a title and a finals MVP, and was already willing to leave a contender. But of course he hasn’t said anything, so really I know nothing!

I think it helps. I know he's got a title already but I get the feeling he really wants to win one without Pop. I know their split wasn't as messy as most in sports but neither are the type to let it get that ugly. He's the man in Toronto with a solid supporting cast. I don't think he'll stay forever but I think he'll resign and then look to move when that deal is done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, whose rankings are these? Only NY, LA, and CHI are bigger than Toronto, and the Raptors media is pretty much national (over 30 million).
I don’t remember offhand, but NBA media doesn’t always correlate to actual city size. Phoenix is a perfect example of that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16 to 3 midway through the 3rd and up 14.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the announces tonight blind or what? They keep talking about how poorly Portland is playing and yet the game is still close, how? I don't know maybe because the FT's are 22 to 3? steph drew a foul on Lillard on a 3 pointer in the first quarter, shot 3 FT's, and the Warriors haven't gone back to the line since, There has been 34 minutes since the last FTA by the Warriors.

That's how in a game where Curry is lighting it up and Portland is shooting 37%, they're still only down 6.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4:43 left in the game the announcers finally point out the reason it's not a blowout is the FT's are 27-9, now 27-12.

I was beginning to think they would never notice

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Golden State Warriors play and have always been out of Oakland not San Fran super big difference between those two cities.

Next year they will make the move to the new arena in SF

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
GS is now like 27-1 when Durant doesn’t play with Curry in the line up.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Golden State Warriors play and have always been out of Oakland not San Fran super big difference between those two cities.

It’s a metro area—like LA. By itself, LA isn’t huge but it has countless suburbs all around it. Oakland/San Fran are pretty much the same thing when talking markets.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

But the Bay Area is a metropolitan area.

Are you saying that, over the years, no one crosses the
Bay Bridge from San Francisco to see NBA basketball?

Especially with San Fran residents having the more
affluent population to make the trip.

Edit: Sorry, Chap. I hadn't seen your similar post
until after I had posted my response.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s a metro area—like LA. By itself, LA isn’t huge but it has countless suburbs all around it. Oakland/San Fran are pretty much the same thing when talking markets.

I live in the bay. Right by the 49er stadium in Santa Clara. Come tell someone from Oakland it’s the same as SF. I mean I get what your trying to say but they are very different with very different histories.

I would compare it to telling a dodgers fan it’s the same as being an Angels fan. Well I mean it’s the same area right? NOPE.

But I get what you mean. I’m just saying

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I live in the bay. Right by the 49er stadium in Santa Clara. Come tell someone from Oakland it’s the same as SF. I mean I get what your trying to say but they are very different with very different histories.
What has that have to do with what we are talking about? The history of the city doesn't mean anything when talking about an NBA media market. You think people in Long Beach want to be bunched up with those of us in the San Fernando Valley? :)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What has that have to do with what we are talking about? The history of the city doesn't mean anything when talking about an NBA media market. You think people in Long Beach want to be bunched up with those of us in the San Fernando Valley? :)
Exactly. BTW, next month when I make my annual drive to visit close friends in Santa Barbara, instead of making my usual side trip to Redondo Beach, I'll be sightseeing Long Beach for the first time in forty years. Back when the Spruce Goose was still there. :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't think Steph is getting nearly enough credit for the last 2 games, 2nd half of game 6 and last night. He made a big 3 last night and came down court with his left tucked between his legs grimacing. THere were multiple points last night where he was basically playing 1 handed, when he finally came out they immediately put ice on the left hand. He's put up 69 points in the last 6 quarters of basketball.

Interesting how Portland defended him, Mark Jackson kept pointing it out Portland didn't commit to hard doubling Steph they gave him way too much air space and he killed them. Kanter was more effective than Collins but neither one of them was effective enough against the Warriors small lineup, I wouldn't be surprised to see Portland change their lineup and go smaller.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
They love us in Long Beach!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Game 2 should be a much tougher game because Terry Stotts is a very good coach and Portland typically plays with a ton of pride.

The Blazers looked tired but —for a while there—the Blazers could do almost nothing right and we’re still only down 6-8 pts. Additionally, Kanter had almost 20 rebounds and Hood and Harkless were very solid. Lillard and McCollum are going to shoot much better.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Portland does not stand a chance they lucked into these WCF by beating other non-contenders in 7 game series.

OKC looked terrible and Denver is inexperienced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn