2019 Free Agency

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I think is happening. DLo is trying to decide what to do right now. He is going to have offers on the table from the Lakers and Suns. There is video of him in high school saying his fantasy was to play with MJ, Lebron, and AD. He has two of those three sitting in front of him right now. He also has his friend really working him to come to Phoenix. Last, there is the faint possibility that the Nets could match an offer that he gets.

What I think the Suns are considering, if they keep Oubre and sign Russell, they have committed their foreseeable future to a group of players consisting of Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Russell and Bridges.

At this point as a Suns fan I'm fine with it but I could I could be happy with Oubre and something slightly less at point guard.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Everything I’m reading says it’s way more likely to be brogdon than DLO. Brogdon not the best at getting others involved that’s my only concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything I’m reading says it’s way more likely to be brogdon than DLO. Brogdon not the best at getting others involved that’s my only concern.

When looking at Brogdon I think it needs to be looked at through the lens of Booker and Brogdon complimenting each other.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These type pairings does not help the competitive nature of the NBA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the ESPN article by Adrian Wojnarowski and Ramona Shelburne:

Leonard and Durant are each planning discussions and meetings with several teams, but only Clippers and Knicks are in alignment with salary cap space and common interest to sign both players. Brooklyn could conceivably house both, but a more likely scenario would be Durant and point guard Kyrie Irving signing as free agents with the Nets. Brooklyn is firmly Irving's focus in free agency, league sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27081670/sources-kd-kawhi-mulling-free-agent-scenarios

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is what I think is happening. DLo is trying to decide what to do right now. He is going to have offers on the table from the Lakers and Suns. There is video of him in high school saying his fantasy was to play with MJ, Lebron, and AD. He has two of those three sitting in front of him right now. He also has his friend really working him to come to Phoenix. Last, there is the faint possibility that the Nets could match an offer that he gets.

If he really wants to come here, he'll tell Brooklyn to rescind his rights or he'll take the qualifying offer. We will have the max to offer him next offseason even after resigning Oubre and a PG right now with Baynes and Johnson's deals expiring, and the possibility of JJ being gone or not picking up his 4th year option.

That could push Brooklyn to work a sign & trade with us also. We could send Jackson, Johnson, and a #1st, top 5 protected, for Russell.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My god if lakers get Leonard that would be the best team on paper that lebron has had heat team being 2nd.

Going to be fun to see how this all plays out tom!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They would probably prefer let Russell leave over that offer.

Why? Johnson and Jackson are expiring and they get a pick for their trouble. That's much better than keeping Russell for a year on his qualifying offer.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That’s just a plain weird request. But he’s a plain weird dude.
Pelinka has a bad reputation around the league according to league sources when the Magic fiasco went down. I can see where it's support for Magic. That should set a tone to Jeanie Buss if more guys take Leonard's cue and refuse to deal with Pelinka.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly Magic Johnson cannot be involved in a meeting with Leonard per CBS Sports.

The Los Angeles Lakers are being granted a meeting with star forward Kawhi Leonard. Former Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson was originally set to be involved in the meeting, but ESPN's Ramona Shelburne is reporting that Johnson isn't being permitted by the NBA to attend the meeting. However, LeBron James and Anthony Davis are expected to be involving in the team's recruiting pitch to Leonard.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ers-warriors-to-offer-klay-thompson-max-deal/

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Supposedly Magic Johnson cannot be involved in a meeting with Leonard per CBS Sports.

The Los Angeles Lakers are being granted a meeting with star forward Kawhi Leonard. Former Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson was originally set to be involved in the meeting, but ESPN's Ramona Shelburne is reporting that Johnson isn't being permitted by the NBA to attend the meeting. However, LeBron James and Anthony Davis are expected to be involving in the team's recruiting pitch to Leonard.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ers-warriors-to-offer-klay-thompson-max-deal/
That is weird by the NBA, because I remember in the past teams having VIPs involved, like movie stars, or professional athletes from other sports they knew the free agent player liked. Probably have Magic do a recorded message.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is weird by the NBA, because I remember in the past teams having VIPs involved, like movie stars, or professional athletes from other sports they knew the free agent player liked. Probably have Magic do a recorded message.

I agree. It seems like there should be some way to include Magic even if is unofficially. As you suggest, Leonard may be making a statement by wanting his inclusion in the meeting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not anything unexpected but it appears Klay Thompson and the Warriors may reach an agreement on a new contract.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: Klay Thompson and the Golden State Warriors plan to reach agreement on a five-year, $190M maximum contract, with the Warriors sending a front-office contingent to Los Angeles to visit Thompson within the next day.

9:23 AM - 29 Jun 2019

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree. It seems like there should be some way to include Magic even if is unofficially. As you suggest, Leonard may be making a statement by wanting his inclusion in the meeting.
Even if it's not a statement, lots of NBA players want to meet Magic. He's a HOF player. He's also an NBA icon. If I went to Indiana and I was a player, I would want to meet Larry Bird. Of course Michael Jordan. Could be just wanting to meet and NBA icon.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Gambo thought Collison was an option for the Suns. One less option.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

Collision was not only an option for the Suns but for the Lakers if they missed out on Kawhi Leonard and D’Angelo Russel. With him retiring I expect Lakers backup plan at point guard should they fail to land Kawhi or D’Angelo to include Goran Dragic via trade with Miami.

9:50 AM - 29 Jun 2019