2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors in 2019, Murray looked destined to crack the top 10 after Year 2. He did, but not convincingly. The voting drop-off after Herbert was significant, with Murray winning a tiebreaker with Matt Ryan.

The playmaking quarterback tied for the NFL lead with 14 completions of 40-plus yards, and his 819 rushing yards trailed only Jackson among quarterbacks. Murray’s arm strength and release are impressive, with one NFL quarterback saying he can “throw the s— out of the ball.”

But his play faded late in the season, with a 57.0 Total QBR over the season’s final seven weeks, ranking 19th out of 32 eligible quarterbacks. Murray was ninth over the first 10 weeks, at 76.9.

“He’s very talented. Some of issues are outside of him — I don’t think [the Cardinals’] style of play is conducive to winning big games late in the season,” an AFC scout said. “Even though the NFL is more open with more passing, really good teams still put an emphasis on defense and running the ball. They are the complete opposite.”

Fair or not, questions about Murray’s leadership ceiling exist in some league circles. Some wonder if he’s the type of player behind whom teammates rally, though they aren’t in the locker room with him every day. Others say he’s simply reserved or quiet, which isn’t a terminal flaw, but underscores the importance of letting his play talk for him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
All that nonsense about Murray not putting in work. He looks thicker.

That seems like a category error on your part. No one disputes that he loves the gym. Some are concerned that he doesn't love the film room as much — or doing the fine-tuning of mechanics necessary to do everything perfect every time.

I listened to the Flying Coach podcast with Joe Judge, and he was talking about how, in the first practices of spring OTAs with the Pats, Tom Brady threw every pass perfect. After the 7-on-7 session was done, he went to the sideline with Josh McDaniels and started working on why he'd delivered one pattern at the head of his target instead of on the chin (or whatever). Is Kyler doing that?

What I can say is that he certainly looks like he has more of a football player's body right now. He's gonna be pretty cheesed off when he discovers that Arizona Mills is the "bad" mall.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That seems like a category error on your part. No one disputes that he loves the gym. Some are concerned that he doesn't love the film room as much — or doing the fine-tuning of mechanics necessary to do everything perfect every time.

I listened to the Flying Coach podcast with Joe Judge, and he was talking about how, in the first practices of spring OTAs with the Pats, Tom Brady threw every pass perfect. After the 7-on-7 session was done, he went to the sideline with Josh McDaniels and started working on why he'd delivered one pattern at the head of his target instead of on the chin (or whatever). Is Kyler doing that?

What I can say is that he certainly looks like he has more of a football player's body right now. He's gonna be pretty cheesed off when he discovers that Arizona Mills is the "bad" mall.
I'm referring to the "media" reports that Murray wasn't working hard enough or working with a QB coach.

Tom Brady took YEARs to get to that point. If you remember a young Tom Brady, he wasn't that way in the beginning of his career.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm referring to the "media" reports that Murray wasn't working hard enough or working with a QB coach.

Tom Brady took YEARs to get to that point. If you remember a young Tom Brady, he wasn't that way in the beginning of his career.
First, Joe Judge is two years younger than I am. That's an extremely tough hit.

Second, I'm sure Tom Brady has an obsessive perfectionist his entire career.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you had any concerns over Kyler Murray missing much of the Cardinals’ offseason program, this should help: I’m told the former first overall pick gathered teammates for throwing sessions in Texas and Arizona over the last month, and he’s already back on the ground in Phoenix a week ahead of the team’s reporting date. This, it goes without saying, is a critical year for Murray in Arizona. After this season he will become eligible for a second contract, hitting that critical post-Year 3 juncture for first-round quarterbacks—when teams have to make decisions on fifth-year options and, more often than not, whether they’re in or out on their young signal-callers. For Murray there’s a second layer to this, given that Arizona missed the playoffs in five straight seasons. Another playoff-less year, of course, could lead to other changes in the organization that might affect the guys who invested so deeply in him in the first place.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim has gotten majority initial praise after all his 1st round pick.

They’ve been underachieving.

Keim has gotten majority initial slander after this 1st round pick.

Hmmm
Hmmm

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday was just more evidence that when you have the 1st pick in the draft, you absolutely, positively take a QB with that pick. Even if you traded up to take a QB the year before at 10. Especially when that QB showed almost nothing for an entire season. Kudos to Keim. That single decision has hopefully set this franchise up for long term success.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Murray now is

Some things do age well

You must be registered for see images attach
This is what most of us pro Kyler guys saw leading up to that draft. A guy who can do absolutely everything at the QB position, but just happened to be short. There were no noticeable weaknesses back then and I think we can say that about him right now as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still remember when the discussion here first started I thought people were nuts. Take Bosa or Williams, Rosen is the QB can't take a short guy from what looks like a very QB friendly offense. The more I thought about how Rosen got worse not better I started to be a bit less sunk in on him but I still wasn't sure we were going to take Kyler. By the time we did I was fine with it I probably still would have taken Bosa at that time but I suppose if my coach were telling me take Kyler he's the real deal I would have listened.

So glad we took him. You can't teach height but he's getting better at everything and the arm on that kid is amazing. Some of those throws like the one over the defender to D Hop on the right side or the shot to Maxx for the TD, just perfect throws.

And the 3rd and 16 run basically cemented the game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I had a read an article on him mid season in sports illustrated on a flight. I remember thinking “man it sucks we just took a QB, no way we would take another. This kid seems awesome.” I don’t recall reading about his height bc I was flabbergasted when I found out how short he was. That said, I was excited but also nervous about the prospect of drafting him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I still remember when the discussion here first started I thought people were nuts. Take Bosa or Williams, Rosen is the QB can't take a short guy from what looks like a very QB friendly offense. The more I thought about how Rosen got worse not better I started to be a bit less sunk in on him but I still wasn't sure we were going to take Kyler. By the time we did I was fine with it I probably still would have taken Bosa at that time but I suppose if my coach were telling me take Kyler he's the real deal I would have listened.

So glad we took him. You can't teach height but he's getting better at everything and the arm on that kid is amazing. Some of those throws like the one over the defender to D Hop on the right side or the shot to Maxx for the TD, just perfect throws.

And the 3rd and 16 run basically cemented the game.
If you offered me Williams AND Bosa, I wouldn't give up Murray.

I wouldn't trade Murray for Stafford and three 1st round picks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you offered me Williams AND Bosa, I wouldn't give up Murray.

I wouldn't trade Murray for Stafford and three 1st round picks.

Oh absolutely at this point you'd be crazy to trade Kyler. As I said last year the only scenario where trading Kyler would make sense is if you thought he was going to go play baseball and that bugged you, but that would lower his trade value anyways so there's really no scenario where trading him would make sense.

You know his next contract is going to be huge but in the long run having an elite QB is a huge bonus even JJ Watt this year said it had lots to do with him picking us. I read last year when Hop knew a trade was going to happen he basically said he was only interested in teams that had a QB and Murray put us on that list.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose