2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't make "Drew Brees has stayed fairly injury free" any more of a ridiculous statement. His injury is why the team moved on from him.

They had already drafted Rivers and were going to move on from him anyway but it's not the point in the first place.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So besides that one injury how many games has Brees missed. ZERO would be the number and so might point is he knows how not to take a hit and get rid of the ball. Same with Brady and you said it yourself, it was a freak ACL tear.

Newton is targeted because he runs the ball and tries to run over people. Wentz doesn't know how to protect himself and gets hurt is the point you can't seem to grasp.
Fantastic argument for the future of Kyler Murray. If he goes on and succeeds for another team after taking a huge injury, where everyone doubts him, what does that do for the Cardinals? Not a thing.

Plus, he's a pocket passer. Not a guy with legs to get outside and expose himself to more.

Sorry that Wentz didn't put on his +10 protection spell, but he tore his ACL running into the endzone where he made contact with two defenders. That's not a spot where he could have just slid or stepped out of bounds, he used his athletic ability to run, and got hurt doing it. And he's a ton stronger than Kyler. Is Kyler going to slide before the endzone on 3rd down to "protect himself?"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No. They had already drafted his replacement, if I remember correctly.
They gave him the franchise tag and played him for another year after drafting Rivers, so, no, you don't.

Murray hasn’t played a down in this league to do call him mediocre when backed up with the most phenomenal college year ever for a qb is freakin assassine
Pretending he's never going to face adversity or a big hit when he's never played a snap in the league, and will automatically be Russell Wilson is "asinine."

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They gave him the franchise tag and played him for another year after drafting Rivers, so, no, you don't.

Pretending he's never going to face adversity or a big hit when he's never played a snap in the league, and will automatically be Russell Wilson is "asinine."
I never said that, you putting words in people mouths. I said his NFL comparison IS Russell Wilson doesn’t mean he’ll copy his game. But based on the tape means that’s the player he can be compared too. Comprehend.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I never said that, you putting words in people mouths. I said his NFL comparison IS Russell Wilson doesn’t mean he’ll copy his game. But based on the tape means that’s the player he can be compared too. Comprehend.
I'm fine with the comparison. Whatever. Keep rolling with it. But the people who believe Kyler isn't going to get popped are fooling themselves. That's the argument.

The kid is without a doubt the lightest and shortest QB ever taken in the 1st round of the NFL Draft. That's indisputable fact, but people just keep saying it doesn't matter, because Kyler gonna be Russ.

All I want is for people to step back into reality and acknowledge that this kid has a HUGE mountain to climb to get anywhere near some of the players he keeps getting compared to.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm fine with the comparison. Whatever. Keep rolling with it. But the people who believe Kyler isn't going to get popped are fooling themselves. That's the argument.

The kid is without a doubt the lightest and shortest QB ever taken in the 1st round of the NFL Draft. That's indisputable fact, but people just keep saying it doesn't matter, because Kyler gonna be Russ.

All I want is for people to step back into reality and acknowledge that this kid has a HUGE mountain to climb to get anywhere near some of the players he keeps getting compared to.

With a few exceptions, I'm sure most here expect a learning curve and it may very well include a few serious hits.

That said: He's our QB and I hope he lights it up!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
With a few exceptions, I'm sure most here expect a learning curve and it may very well include a few serious hits.

That said: He's our QB and I hope he lights it up!
You've been on the positive side of this in the right way, Guernsey. I think we've had a couple of disagreements, but I don't think you're anointing him just yet... just excited!

I can't stand the "there's no way he will fail" arguments, and no matter how hard I try, I can't hold back on arguing about it.

As I've continued to keep saying, I hope he proves me wrong, but I sure as hell hope he doesn't leave us in this tantalizing streak of mediocrity like Vick did.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fantastic argument for the future of Kyler Murray. If he goes on and succeeds for another team after taking a huge injury, where everyone doubts him, what does that do for the Cardinals? Not a thing.

Plus, he's a pocket passer. Not a guy with legs to get outside and expose himself to more.

Sorry that Wentz didn't put on his +10 protection spell, but he tore his ACL running into the endzone where he made contact with two defenders. That's not a spot where he could have just slid or stepped out of bounds, he used his athletic ability to run, and got hurt doing it. And he's a ton stronger than Kyler. Is Kyler going to slide before the endzone on 3rd down to "protect himself?"

You are either obtuse or trolling.

Brees has had an incredible HOF career and he learned how to avoid taking big time hits. Murray already has that skill so NO he won't have to get hurt and then move on to another team to be successful.

I live in the Philly market so I KNOW the issue with Wentz is he takes too many hits that he could avoid if he played smarter. He now has a fractured bone in his back so he either learns to slide and fight on another play or he won't get extended.

Luck seems to have learned this lesson so there is hope for Wentz.

Yes I would hope and believe Kyler slides before getting hurt and missing the season on a 3rd down and goal. Kick the FG and get on the next series.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You are either obtuse or trolling.

Brees has had an incredible HOF career and he learned how to avoid taking big time hits. Murray already has that skill so NO he won't have to get hurt and then move on to another team to be successful.

I live in the Philly market so I KNOW the issue with Wentz is he takes too many hits that he could avoid if he played smarter. He now has a fractured bone in his back so he either learns to slide and fight on another play or he won't get extended.

Luck seems to have learned this lesson so there is hope for Wentz.

Yes I would hope and believe Kyler slides before getting hurt and missing the season on a 3rd down and goal. Kick the FG and get on the next series.
Fine, call me obtuse, because I'm sure as hell not trolling.

Brees is not a running QB. It is not part of his game. "Learning to avoid big hits" is not an issue as a pure pocket passer. You can't tell me that Murray has magically learned the ability to avoid every big hit. With his small size and frame, he has worse odds of holding up against that completely unexpected, unseen hit. Before we drafted him, I joked about this, but he's not going to magically sense the blindside rush coming when DJ Humphries misses a block, and backflip over the oncoming defender.

Brees didn't get hurt because he still had to learn how to avoid a hit, it was on a broken play.

Wentz is a big man with a frame to absorb the hits he takes a risk on, but you think Kyler will just avoid every single one? Did you ever play football? I'm not trying to be a dick, but why can't people admit this kid is going to get hit early and often?

To your last point... if Kyler has the game on the line in the 4th quarter, and we're down 5, you'd rather he slides to protect himself than dive for the touchdown? What?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Brees is not a running QB. It is not part of his game. "Learning to avoid big hits" is not an issue as a pure pocket passer. You can't tell me that Murray has magically learned the ability to avoid every big hit. With his small size and frame, he has worse odds of holding up against that completely unexpected, unseen hit. Before we drafted him, I joked about this, but he's not going to magically sense the blindside rush coming when DJ Humphries misses a block, and backflip over the oncoming defender.

Brees didn't get hurt because he still had to learn how to avoid a hit, it was on a broken play.

Wentz is a big man with a frame to absorb the hits he takes a risk on, but you think Kyler will just avoid every single one? Did you ever play football? I'm not trying to be a dick, but why can't people admit this kid is going to get hit early and often?

To your last point... if Kyler has the game on the line in the 4th quarter, and we're down 5, you'd rather he slides to protect himself than dive for the touchdown? What?

Of course Murray is going to take some hits, but it won't be the amount you seem to think it will be. He isn't some skinny little kid but he has shown he knows how to slide and get down or out of bounds.

Obviously Wentz isn't big or durable enough to keep taking the unnecessary hits because he has had two season ending injuries in three years.

Since Brees hasn't been injured since I would say my statement is more accurate.

But the Wentz injury did come with the example you gave and I was responding to that.

I'm not sure Murray won't get hurt and I know he won't avoid every hit but his odds are better than you give him credit for and yes that's MO.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard a couple of negative comments about Kyler's father. Would someone please elaborate?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Learning to avoid big hits is a skill EVERY QB has to learn.

Watch the tape. It has the answers. Murray avoids hits better than almost any QB I've ever watched.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Learning to avoid big hits is a skill EVERY QB has to learn.

Watch the tape. It has the answers. Murray avoids hits better than almost any QB I've ever watched.
Great, it means his tiny frame will never get hit!

Please, please remember. Russell Wilson spent his first few years in this league with an elite offensive line and elite defense. Kyler has none of that. He will be playing from behind, and watching his offensive line part the "red sea" right into his face.

Run, run, run Kyler. That's our new gameplan. Run for your life.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No evidence he is. How many times have we heard Kevin Murray talk? Once? Twice?

Lavar Ball wouldnt shut up for a year and a half.
When Lonzo was getting drafted I remember Lavar taking shots at T.J. Leaf and another UCLA teammate basically calling them trash without Lonzo. Murray’s dad isn’t also pining for all of Kyler’s little brothers to get drafted as well (does he have brothers? Idk but still)...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Please, please remember. Russell Wilson spent his first few years in this league with an elite offensive line and elite defense. Kyler has none of that. He will be playing from behind, and watching his offensive line part the "red sea" right into his face.

Tiki Barber was smaller.

Hes not that small hes not 160 lbs. Bickley saw him in person the other day and said he is built solid.

Again, you and others are making it out much more serious than it is.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Being a slow pocket passer or athletic scrambler isn't everything in terms of taking big hits. Palmer or Rosen were prototype pocket passers, often behind a subpar OL, and almost embraced taking the big hit. A lot is on the OL of course. But there are just some type of gunslingers who like to hang in there and look for a big play, knowing they will get hit. Or like Wentz, RGIII and younger Luck, who don't know when or how to slide.

In all those years he is torching us, I've never seen Russell Wilson taking big hits. I wished we could destroy him, but it's just not possible. He is too smart, too mobile, too aware of what's going on. Same goes for Brees, although his movement is much more subtle and mostly within the pocket. We've sacked Wilson quite a lot, because their OL has sucked as much as ours in pass protection. But Wilson even falls down the right way and spins his way out of big hits even when sacked. Being short actually helps, since the way to the ground is a shorter one than for a tall guy.

All Russell Wilson needs is 1 or 2 incredible plays to turn the game around. This is what Kyler Murray should be do for us.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Hopefully our new offensive genius staff can really game plan around a ***** OL. Quicker, shorter patterns maybe. I am trusting in Kruger to coach up big time