2018 Offensive Line: Hoping it wouldn't happen, but it did

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The Cardinals have already picked up the $9.5 million fifth year option on Humphries.

At this point you'd think that they would be planning a future that doesn't include him, but this is the Cardinals.

:barf:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
dj humphries 27 games played in 4 seasons........
A great quality draft pick wasn't he. Could have had Shaq Thompson or Stafone Anthony who are contributing at least something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A great quality draft pick wasn't he. Could have had Shaq Thompson or Stafone Anthony who are contributing at least something.

Anthony doesn’t even start & hasn't started since his rookie year. Shaq Thompson is pretty much bust terrirtory. Hell, from 21 to 31 in that draft is sad as hell. Byron Jones would’ve been a good pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals have already picked up the $9.5 million fifth year option on Humphries.

At this point you'd think that they would be planning a future that doesn't include him, but this is the Cardinals.

did this happen recently or before the season? If it was recently, it's infuriating because it's just another example of the Cardinals ignoring player history and wasting 10 million dollars of cap space that could go to other areas to improve the team at the cost of having an average LT for 7 games.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
did this happen recently or before the season? If it was recently, it's infuriating because it's just another example of the Cardinals ignoring player history and wasting 10 million dollars of cap space that could go to other areas to improve the team at the cost of having an average LT for 7 games.

I think they have to do it at the beginning of the year, maybe as early as before the preseason/draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they have to do it at the beginning of the year, maybe as early as before the preseason/draft.

just saw that. takes the stink off a little, but man... that money could be spent so much better on guys who might actually make it through a season or be productive.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I mean, you're only wasting like $3 million, because you're going to have to pay someone to play left tackle for you.
I would double down if I was the Cardinals. I would sign him to a two year extension at 7 per year and guarantee 12 of it. Worst case would be that you cut him in 2020. Best case is that you have a cheap, league average LT on the cheap through 2021.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Surely you jest, he has 6 tackles in 12 games as a backup on the Dolphins, who didnt pick up his option, traded after 2yrs w/ NO. Bigger bust then DJ. Now Donovan Smith, the next OT taken, #34, would have been a nice pick. He started every game since 2015 for TB.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
RE: DJ Humphries option year--

"The option is worth $9.625 million and is guaranteed for injury. If he is on the roster on the first day of the 2019 league year his salary will become fully guaranteed"

Here is what I dont know-- since he went on IR, does that guarantee the deal for injury? -- or -- can they cut him prior to the first day of the 2019 league year and get out of it.

Edit: some Cardinal salary cap fun facts:

out of the $180mm cap --

the Cards have $40 million in dead money and $21mm in salary for guys on IR. Throw in Deone Buccanon, who just doesnt see the field anymore at $8.7mm --- you have nearly $70mm, or 40% of your cap on guys not playing. Fun!

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

"The option is worth $9.625 million and is guaranteed for injury. If he is on the roster on the first day of the 2019 league year his salary will become fully guaranteed"

Here is what is dont know-- since he went on IR, does that guarantee the deal for injury? -- or -- can they cut him prior to the first day of the 2019 league year and get out of it.

out of the $180mm cap --

the Cards have $40 million in dead money and $21mm in salary for guys on IR. Throw in Deone Buccanon, who just doesnt see the field anymore at $8.7mm --- you have nearly $70mm, or 40% of your cap on guys not playing. Fun!

These are the real things that gets GMs fired. W-L record comes after.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The IR slide is full today. Just like last year, what are we finishing our season with, of our planned offensive starters? Larry Fitz and David Johnson. (last year it was Larry and AQ Shipley). Gresham I guess, is considered our starter but he isn't much positive help on the field.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Surely you jest, he has 6 tackles in 12 games as a backup on the Dolphins, who didnt pick up his option, traded after 2yrs w/ NO. Bigger bust then DJ. Now Donovan Smith, the next OT taken, #34, would have been a nice pick. He started every game since 2015 for TB.
He's seen the field a hell of a lot more than Humphries.

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pugh was always hurt while in NY, and only mediocre when he could play. I was glad to see him leave, but not so glad to see the Cards sign him

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Here is what I dont know-- since he went on IR, does that guarantee the deal for injury? -- or -- can they cut him prior to the first day of the 2019 league year and get out of it.

out of the $180mm cap --

I think you might be onto something here. They said they put him on IR to prevent surgery, is that because they want him healthy enough to cut him instead of picking up the option in March?

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I think you might be onto something here. They said they put him on IR to prevent surgery, is that because they want him healthy enough to cut him instead of picking up the option in March?

There’s no way we are going to spend all our cap space anyway. It’s better to have him on the roster than not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose