2018 2nd round pick is Christian Kirk

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SIAP;

Former Texas A&M star Christian Kirk was arrested two months before the NFL Draft over an incident at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, and details from the police report indicated he was extremely intoxicated.

Kirk and a friend were charged with disorderly conduct and property damage after they were allegedly seen throwing rocks at cars, resulting in at least one broken window. The officer who spoke with Kirk said in the Feb. 3 police report that he smelled “an intoxicating beverage coming from his person” and that Kirk’s eyes were bloodshot and watery.

“They were extremely intoxicated,” Sgt. Ben Hoster of the Scottsdale police, accoridng to a report obtained by ABC 15 in Arizona. “They actually had a difficult time responding to questions.”

Another officer on the scene said he was concerned that Kirk might become violent, noting that he was “clenching his fists” and making “very pronounced movements” as the officer approached. The officer also noted that Kirk was exhibiting symptoms that typically indicate a person is high on stimulants.

“Fearing an assault on (the other officer) was imminent, I approached from the rear of Kirk and applied handcuffs. His arms were tense and flexed as I applied the handcuffs,” the officer wrote in the report. “I then assisted Kirk to a seated position. I further noticed the grinding movement of his jaw and continued blank stare. These are common signs of an individual high on stimulants, such as cocaine.

This looks pretty bad, but the officer could be 100 percent wrong. Body signals aren't 100 percent. I'm not saying the cop did anything wrong, but even if a cop is right 90 out of 100 times, there are those other 10 when it doesn't match up with reality.

www.instagram.com/cartermccarthy

Look at picture 6, that's from the day in question at Waste Management Phoenix Open.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That should be the photo

With them is Armani Watts a fellow future (at that time) draftee and Kirk's friend from A&M.

The kid wasn't behind a nightclub at 3am, he drank a bit too much at a sporting event. (and we don't know how much that is, it could be 5 beers)

I can fault a guy for being behind a nightclub at 3am, but are our athletes not supposed to go to any sporting events during the day?

What I find interesting is that they dropped the charges against Carter. This guy isn't a bad guy from what I hear, but when he drinks, he becomes a loose cannon, a d-bag. He's a guy who can get kicked out of nightclub for how he acts drunk. Kirk isn't like that, the opposite. He's the type that knows and respects the situation and stuff.

So if there's nothing on Carter, I really doubt they have anything on Kirk. Because if anything went down and if so and Kirk was involved, it would of been Carter instigating the thing.

I don't know if Kirk is guilty or not, but this whole thing just seems fishy. A guy with great character who suddenly finds himself, drunk with the law on him. It can be scary. He's not a thug.

If he's guilty he should pay restitution, community service, whatever the courts/prosecutor determine. But something isn't adding up here. It just isn't.

He doesn't do any drugs. He doesn't do these things on the town, so I highly doubt he suddenly did them at a golf event where he was at for some time. It just isn't his personality.

Besides, if there ARE drugs, shouldn't they have that info? I've heard they drug test people arrested. So if they did suspect it, and ended up arresting him, they should have that evidence.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
SIAP;

Former Texas A&M star Christian Kirk was arrested two months before the NFL Draft over an incident at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, and details from the police report indicated he was extremely intoxicated.

Kirk and a friend were charged with disorderly conduct and property damage after they were allegedly seen throwing rocks at cars, resulting in at least one broken window. The officer who spoke with Kirk said in the Feb. 3 police report that he smelled “an intoxicating beverage coming from his person” and that Kirk’s eyes were bloodshot and watery.

“They were extremely intoxicated,” Sgt. Ben Hoster of the Scottsdale police, accoridng to a report obtained by ABC 15 in Arizona. “They actually had a difficult time responding to questions.”

Another officer on the scene said he was concerned that Kirk might become violent, noting that he was “clenching his fists” and making “very pronounced movements” as the officer approached. The officer also noted that Kirk was exhibiting symptoms that typically indicate a person is high on stimulants.

“Fearing an assault on (the other officer) was imminent, I approached from the rear of Kirk and applied handcuffs. His arms were tense and flexed as I applied the handcuffs,” the officer wrote in the report. “I then assisted Kirk to a seated position. I further noticed the grinding movement of his jaw and continued blank stare. These are common signs of an individual high on stimulants, such as cocaine.

“assisted to a seated position” is excellent language.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I want him cut? No but I do want people to acknowledge that what he did was wrong and he both needs to be made to pay for all repairs and acknowledge himself what he did was both wrong and stupid. But what I can't stand is this cavalier attitude here with people who don't think this is a big deal. Anytime you damage something that does not belong to you it's a big deal. I'm quite sure if you found your side view mirror knocked off of your car you'd be pretty pissed and wouldn't simply shrug it off as boys will be boys. And finally, if you don't like what I post then don't read it. My opinion is just as valuable as yours.

Your opinion is fine. That's what we do here. He's going to pay for it, so why berate us?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This looks pretty bad, but the officer could be 100 percent wrong. Body signals aren't 100 percent. I'm not saying the cop did anything wrong, but even if a cop is right 90 out of 100 times, there are those other 10 when it doesn't match up with reality.

www.instagram.com/cartermccarthy

Look at picture 6, that's from the day in question at Waste Management Phoenix Open.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That should be the photo

With them is Armani Watts a fellow future (at that time) draftee and Kirk's friend from A&M.

The kid wasn't behind a nightclub at 3am, he drank a bit too much at a sporting event. (and we don't know how much that is, it could be 5 beers)

I can fault a guy for being behind a nightclub at 3am, but are our athletes not supposed to go to any sporting events during the day?

What I find interesting is that they dropped the charges against Carter. This guy isn't a bad guy from what I hear, but when he drinks, he becomes a loose cannon, a d-bag. He's a guy who can get kicked out of nightclub for how he acts drunk. Kirk isn't like that, the opposite. He's the type that knows and respects the situation and stuff.

So if there's nothing on Carter, I really doubt they have anything on Kirk. Because if anything went down and if so and Kirk was involved, it would of been Carter instigating the thing.

I don't know if Kirk is guilty or not, but this whole thing just seems fishy. A guy with great character who suddenly finds himself, drunk with the law on him. It can be scary. He's not a thug.

If he's guilty he should pay restitution, community service, whatever the courts/prosecutor determine. But something isn't adding up here. It just isn't.

He doesn't do any drugs. He doesn't do these things on the town, so I highly doubt he suddenly did them at a golf event where he was at for some time. It just isn't his personality.

Besides, if there ARE drugs, shouldn't they have that info? I've heard they drug test people arrested. So if they did suspect it, and ended up arresting him, they should have that evidence.

That looks like a red bull and vodka in his hand... might explain the stimulants....trust me, a dozen or so of those will make you grind your teeth, lol

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Late afternoon/early evening at the phoenix open is pretty much equivalent to the club at 3am..... Just brighter with a whole lot more people

He wasn't there for a sporting event, most young people aren't ( shoot, most old people aren't either.......)

Could be something, could be nothing but really nothing to overreact to.

Also not indicative of anything even if he did do it.

You can see Carter's case in the search - dismissed 4/4. Only had one charge though

Case # M-0751-CR-2018003406

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Late afternoon/early evening at the phoenix open is pretty much equivalent to the club at 3am..... Just brighter with a whole lot more people

He wasn't there for a sporting event, most young people aren't ( shoot, most old people aren't either.......)

Could be something, could be nothing but really nothing to overreact to.

Also not indicative of anything even if he did do it.

You can see Carter's case in the search - dismissed 4/4. Only had one charge though

Case # M-0751-CR-2018003406

It is a sporting event where people get drunk and yes sometimes people get rowdy, like at a football game.

The decision to be out at the Phoenix Open is NOT equivalent to being out back behind a club at 3am.

I get what you mean about the big party atmosphere, but it's nowhere near the same thing.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That looks like a red bull and vodka in his hand... might explain the stimulants....trust me, a dozen or so of those will make you grind your teeth, lol

I'm not really an energy drink person. I've had a few red bulls before, but probably never more then 1. It might explain that though.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
It is a sporting event where people get drunk and yes sometimes people get rowdy, like at a football game.

The decision to be out at the Phoenix Open is NOT equivalent to being out back behind a club at 3am.

I get what you mean about the big party atmosphere, but it's nowhere near the same thing.

Actually yes, yes it is.

They even set up a club tent there to continue partying.

There are some who get carried away at sporting events. Most places you still have breaks to actually watch a game.

The sheer numbers that are there for nothing more than hospitality, socializing, drinking and partying is massive.

There are uncountable people dressed in club clothes or party outfits.

You have scantily clad promo models walking around.

You have more arrests and disorderly conduct than I've ever seen at any place, including some massive street festivals.

You can try to draw a distinction between drinking and partying art the WM between 11-5 or drinking and partying art a club between 10-3...... But it would be a little disingenuous.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually yes, yes it is.

They even set up a club tent there to continue partying.

There are some who get carried away at sporting events. Most places you still have breaks to actually watch a game.

The sheer numbers that are there for nothing more than hospitality, socializing, drinking and partying is massive.

There are uncountable people dressed in club clothes or party outfits.

You have scantily clad promo models walking around.

You have more arrests and disorderly conduct than I've ever seen at any place, including some massive street festivals.

You can try to draw a distinction between drinking and partying art the WM between 11-5 or drinking and partying art a club between 10-3...... But it would be a little disingenuous.

Everyone knows not to be out and about at 3am, we're talking about a 21 year old kid here at a public event.

So basically what you're saying is that anyone at WM....ever all 250,000 people or so are making the same bad decision by being there that someone is when they are at a club parking lot hanging around at 3am.

I think that's wrong.

I don't think someone just by virtue of being at WM is the same 'bad decision' as someone at 3am at a club. I see where you are coming from, (and my best friend has run such a tent before at WM) but many people aren't going to make that connection, and we shouldn't fault people for not seeing it that way. As if it's the same known thing.

I'm not trying to be disingenuous, I'm simply saying that a 21 year old kid might not make such a connection.

Maybe it's a bit of a grey area. Maybe in his mind it's daytime, there's tons of security, etc lulled him into having his guard down a bit more then the alarm bells that should go off for an athlete at 3am.

I think any judgement that it's the same bad decision is a bit off.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Your fallacy is that everyone leaving a club at 3am is making a bad decision

They are not

There is nothing inherently wrong with being out late.

Time is an arbitrary concept.

A shift worker getting out at midnight and having a beer after work and heading home for dinner at 1am is no different than someone doing the same between 4pm and 5pm

Just because one is late doesn't make it bad

That whole saying revolves around not being inn a position where you are most likely intoxicated and around others who are intoxicated, because some drunk person may do something stupid.

Thankfully for Kirk and his group, they didn't run across someone angry and drunk who took offense.

Just like many people who do dumb, drunken stuff leaving a club have no problem.

I typically hate clubs, but will say that the drunken behavior at the WM is more than any club I've seen.

The capacity of the event is just that large.

For many out is a party place.

Again, going to a party isn't a bad action.

Drinking isn't a bad action.

Day drinking/bar hopping isn't a bad action.

Night drinking/clubbing isn't a bad action

Getting belligerent and causing property damage is a bad action.

I've seen that behavior at the WM, I've seen it at sporting events (i went to soccer matches in London)

I've seen it at clubs.

The message isn't don't go out and have fun.

Just realize if you are out partying for hours that there is an increased chance of someone doing something dumb

This can be at club close at 3am, this can be at a St Patrick's Day parade, this can be at 5pm at the Phoenix Open

It really isn't that hard of a connection

Again, I don't think this is a huge deal or some character knock.

Just a stupid action where the damages done to all involved are very minimal and an opportunity to learn

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Your fallacy is that everyone leaving a club at 3am is making a bad decision

They are not

There is nothing inherently wrong with being out late.

Time is an arbitrary concept.

A shift worker getting out at midnight and having a beer after work and heading home for dinner at 1am is no different than someone doing the same between 4pm and 5pm

Just because one is late doesn't make it bad

That whole saying revolves around not being inn a position where you are most likely intoxicated and around others who are intoxicated, because some drunk person may do something stupid.

Thankfully for Kirk and his group, they didn't run across someone angry and drunk who took offense.

Just like many people who do dumb, drunken stuff leaving a club have no problem.

I typically hate clubs, but will say that the drunken behavior at the WM is more than any club I've seen.

The capacity of the event is just that large.

For many out is a party place.

Again, going to a party isn't a bad action.

Drinking isn't a bad action.

Day drinking/bar hopping isn't a bad action.

Night drinking/clubbing isn't a bad action

Getting belligerent and causing property damage is a bad action.

I've seen that behavior at the WM, I've seen it at sporting events (i went to soccer matches in London)

I've seen it at clubs.

The message isn't don't go out and have fun.

Just realize if you are out partying for hours that there is an increased chance of someone doing something dumb

This can be at club close at 3am, this can be at a St Patrick's Day parade, this can be at 5pm at the Phoenix Open

It really isn't that hard of a connection

Again, I don't think this is a huge deal or some character knock.

Just a stupid action where the damages done to all involved are very minimal and an opportunity to learn

I agree, if he's guilty or if he's not, there's a lot he can learn here and thankfully wasn't huge. No, I don't believe if you're drinking at 3am it's bad. Just you're putting yourself in worse danger. Danger an athlete shouldn't expose themselves to.

Time is an arbitrary concept, but most people's lives revolve similarly time wise. By 3am, most people at a club or whatever as the phrase goes are as drunk as they're going to get. Whatever someone is looking to experience from being at club should have already occurred, and sometimes this leads to problems.

The later it is, there is worse stuff going on. People do tend to be more wasted, but this is a very nuanced thing a kid might not get. From his perspective, they hear the words, but don't necessarily understand the nuance of it all. To them, it is more about being out late.

I understand that it can happen anywhere at any time, but the worst stuff tends to happen later and seemingly at a higher rate. That when you tell a kid things like this, that's what they key in on. Time and location.

A golfing event doesn't necessarily have the same known drawbacks as a club from a young mind. It's easy for me to see someone not make that connection, especially a 21 year old kid. Even as a 39 year old I could of shown up to WM and had no clue.

Maybe its a given to you based on what you've seen because you have experienced it, but I wouldn't think a young kid where it might be the first or second time he's been there drinking should know that. Especially if someone isn't looking for trouble.

I think you're maybe expecting him to know the event like you and obviously some other people do. Maybe he did.

But I can see how he thought he was going to have a fun time, at seemingly a more upscale event, at an earlier time and feel it was something he could do safely. I was just taking issue that he should of known better to be there (I'm not saying you said/meant that, but it seemed quite a few were going after him just for being there).

I guess we've beaten this thing to death, so have good one MO:thumbup:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
He grew up here, he sought out passed to the 165th skybox.

He knew he was going to a party.

The Phoenix Open isn't some kind of secret, even amongst young people.

Let us not be as naive as you want to pretend he is.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He grew up here, he sought out passed to the 165th skybox.

He knew he was going to a party.

The Phoenix Open isn't some kind of secret, even amongst young people.

Let us not be as naive as you want to pretend he is.

You can know you're going to a party, but not know what exactly it entails.

I don't think he's naive, he's young. There's a difference.

As I've stated my best friend runs nightclubs and is friends with Kirk. He's specifically told him, hey things are getting a little wild, you should go, and he would. I've been hearing how great this kid is for about 7 years now.

It's easy for you or I to see something that isn't for a younger person. Nuance come from experience.... and he just got some.

He's even asked, should I go to this place or that place, then followed the instructions. He's trying to be safe, he just isn't experienced.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now the prosecution is saying they don't have a strong case against Kirk since the witness was laying down & didn't see who broke the van window. More than likely the charges will be dropped. Oh the humanity.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Now the prosecution is saying they don't have a strong case against Kirk since the witness was laying down & didn't see who broke the van window. More than likely the charges will be dropped. Oh the humanity.

But Cards fans have already convicted him. You know, "wasted pick" and all. :rolleyes:

I mean, it's what counts. He has a mugshot!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
SIAP;

If the descriptions are accurate, that’s a good description of someone coked up, not drunk. Particularly the jaw grinding.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’d be pissed if someone threw a rock and damaged my car at a football game too. What’s your point?

I’m not saying he’s a thug. I’m not saying it was a disaster to draft him. I AM saying this incident colors my opinion of him. And he’ll have to avoid doing this again for a long time before I’m going to trust that he won’t. Once bitten twice shy. Oh, and I am calling all of you out that shrug this off. This is not good behavior. It’s not acceptable behavior. And I call bs on any of you that would shrug it off if it was your property just because someone was 21 and drunk.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I am calling all of you out that shrug this off. This is not good behavior. It’s not acceptable behavior. And I call bs on any of you that would shrug it off if it was your property just because someone was 21 and drunk.
Bah. Go back in this thread and please directly quote me anyone who said anything with a direct meaning of :

I am calling all of you out that shrug this off. This is not good behavior. It’s not acceptable behavior.

It hasn't happened not one person said it was good or acceptable.

Even more of a red herring:

And I call bs on any of you that would shrug it off if it was your property just because someone was 21 and drunk.

Certainly no one has said anything of the sort. I can say that what he did was "stupid, but not a HUGE deal", and still say I would expect him to pay me, bottom line. I don't see it as hypocritical in the least. Whoever had their window broken in this case, they WILL get paid.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’d be pissed if someone threw a rock and damaged my car at a football game too. What’s your point?

I’m not saying he’s a thug. I’m not saying it was a disaster to draft him. I AM saying this incident colors my opinion of him. And he’ll have to avoid doing this again for a long time before I’m going to trust that he won’t. Once bitten twice shy. Oh, and I am calling all of you out that shrug this off. This is not good behavior. It’s not acceptable behavior. And I call bs on any of you that would shrug it off if it was your property just because someone was 21 and drunk.

That’s your prerogative if you feel obligated to hold it over his head for an extended period of time. Seems like a waste of energy to me seeing as a) it's benign by comparison and b) he doesn’t have a history of problematic behavior.

If all of us are judged by our worst incidents in our young adulthood, we’d all be a bunch of giant a$$hole$

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s your prerogative if you feel obligated to hold it over his head for an extended period of time. Seems like a waste of energy to me seeing as a) it's benign by comparison and b) he doesn’t have a history of problematic behavior.

If all of us are judged by our worst incidents in our young adulthood, we’d all be a bunch of giant a$$hole$

some of us still are! :D

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Unfortunately as of late I do think we are surrounded by a bunch of giant a$$hole$. And that’s a big change as I’d always believed in the general good in people.

And I don’t know how I can “hold it over his head” - he doesn’t know me and I have zero impact on his life. And I’m not talking about holding it against him, per se, as much as it’s the first indication of his character I’ve seen reported (other items discussing his “high character” are general comments - this is an actual reported incident) and thus it understandably colors my expectations and causes me concern until I feel confident otherwise. But who cares? This entire debate is stupid. No one is changing anyone else’s minds.

Reaction score
How can someone who allegedly threw a rock at a parked car be a disaster of a draft pick? If he did do it it's really pretty minor in the grand scheme of things & in no way be a disaster of a pick. Especially someone like Kirk who has been a model citizen in the past.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort