2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure how Lowry does not fit. Late pick that was developed. It doesn't matter what team developed him.

Who developed him? He bounced around quite a bit before he finally settled in with the Raptors. He was a starter every where he was though and for the last 2 years with Houston though where he averaged 13.8 ppg and 6.6 assists. His first year in Toronto he averaged 11.6 ppg and 6.4 apg. He blew up in his 2nd season there, averaging 17.9 ppg and 7.4 apg. So who developed him? He spent a few years in a few places but didn't come into his own until his 2nd his second year in Toronto. That could have been him getting in shape like Ouchie mentioned or it might have been something else. That's quite different than guys like Dinwiddie, VanVleet, or Tony Parker who stayed with 1 team and finally managed to take advantage of the opportunities presented. He didn't have a lack of opportunities and played for a good while as a start but at a less efficient level.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I may be remembering incorrectly but I believe the turnaround for Lowry was primarily due to him getting his butt in shape.

That very well could be. He had a lot of opportunities, I remember that. I know he was in Houston when they had a few different PG's to choose from, Dragic being one of them, but Lowry was their starter for a while until he became a free agent and took off for Toronto. I don't think he's a good example of someone that a team developed when he bounced around the league a bit and had opportunities and just didn't perform that well. He finally was able to step up his play in Toronto but that could be him getting in shape, the system, the coach, or who knows.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Beverly Q&A:

Q: What are your relationships like with your former Rockets teammates?

A: I was with Trevor Ariza for his birthday the last night before free agency. I talked to him throughout the playoffs.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...erley-on-leaving-the-Rockets-his-13085970.php

I’d prefer Milos even though we’d rank 30th in defense again but he’d be great for Ayton. If Beverly wasn’t coming off microfracture I’d take him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who developed him? He bounced around quite a bit before he finally settled in with the Raptors. He was a starter every where he was though and for the last 2 years with Houston though where he averaged 13.8 ppg and 6.6 assists. His first year in Toronto he averaged 11.6 ppg and 6.4 apg. He blew up in his 2nd season there, averaging 17.9 ppg and 7.4 apg. So who developed him? He spent a few years in a few places but didn't come into his own until his 2nd his second year in Toronto. That could have been him getting in shape like Ouchie mentioned or it might have been something else. That's quite different than guys like Dinwiddie, VanVleet, or Tony Parker who stayed with 1 team and finally managed to take advantage of the opportunities presented. He didn't have a lack of opportunities and played for a good while as a start but at a less efficient level.
Houston and Toronto developed him. I remember watching it happen. I still don't get your disagreement. Lowry was developed--by two teams.

So was Steve Nash, bTW.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston and Toronto developed him. I remember watching it happen. I still don't get your disagreement. Lowry was developed--by two teams.

So was Steve Nash, bTW.

I don't think I'd put Lowry (or Parker) in that same group of players. Kyle's physical gifts were well documented but he was a known head case plus he tore an ACL his freshman season. Had it not been for that injury, he likely would have played his way into the lottery despite being undersized.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears the Suns valued the Ariza signing even more than I envisioned with the lack of significant trades and limited capital to work with in free agency.

I know McDonough and Igor were on board with the importance of the Ariza signing but I thought the Suns likely had a trade in the works for a PG. Maybe they are waiting for another depth veteran to be released or traded.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So was Steve Nash, bTW.

Nash was developed when he returned to Phoenix. Did he get better? Yes. That was the offense that he was put in charge of. It accentuated his skillset and helped him become more productive than he ever was before.

My issue with grouping Lowry with the others is how long it took him to become who he is now. He was in the league for about 8 years being a middling PG similar to a Rubio or Darren Collison before he finally had the light turn on in Toronto. Perhaps it was the system there also. The other players you mentioned were developed in a much shorter amount of time and typically by just one team. Throw in what Steve said about his injury playing a part in why he fell in the draft also and I wouldn't put him in the same category as the other players you mentioned.

They are all good examples of what you call for with Shaq and Okobo but Lowry and IT aren't, IMO. It seems that you didn't take issue with me saying IT was developed differently either but are still pushing the issue with Lowry. Both of them were given up on a few times and weren't viewed as a long term plan by the teams they played for until they bounced around a bit and finally came into their own.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns are probably bottom three in the league at point guard. The good news is there should be plenty of paths to changing that next year.
Unless they choose to not choose a PG with our first pick in a non-Ayton year, unless we trade for or sign one.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm just happy we aren't going with Mike James.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Probably my least favorite point guard to watch run the team ever.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Wow really? There’s some tough competition for that spot just in the past 5-6 years itself. Telfair, Marshall, Price, Knight among others.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow really? There’s some tough competition for that spot just in the past 5-6 years itself. Telfair, Marshall, Price, Knight among others.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong. He had strong competition for the spot. But it was his attitude that really bothered me. Nothing was ever his fault, so he had to blame everyone else. It was evident in his actions and body language on the court.

I get so annoyed every time someone brings up how good he was in Summer League last year. He was a train wreck. Yeah, he scored a lot, but at the expense of team chemistry, developing players, and long-term success.

I've played pickup ball with guys like this my whole life, and he's my least favorite basketball archetype. Quick to critique others with no introspection. That's why he got released.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Igor's ties to Europe, I wonder if he knows of a PG that could help the Suns... at least on a temporary basis.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
With Igor's ties to Europe, I wonder if he knows of a PG that could help the Suns... at least on a temporary basis.
That’s interesting but I think we would have heard about something like this by now if it was in the plans.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting but I think we would have heard about something like this by now if it was in the plans.

The same here, still I keep hoping. I guess the closest is Teo if he becomes available.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, that's it James, it's because you made us win too much, not because you love to shoot but stink at it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes his name is Dragic and mcd should do whatever he can to make him a Sun...again.

The third time is the charm? :wink2:

I so disliked Dragic after he forced his way out of Phoenix to go to Miami but I still have a warm spot in my heart for him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Even ignoring that Dragic shoved a dagger deep in the Suns back...

He's not a distributor, he doesn't play off the ball and he is an atrocious defender... and he's also in decline.
That shows how hard up we are for a starting Point Guard.

Anyone BTK -- Better Than Knight. :)

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Even ignoring that Dragic shoved a dagger deep in the Suns back...

He's not a distributor, he doesn't play off the ball and he is an atrocious defender... and he's also in decline.
Hey, he was looking for a name. Goran ran Koko's teams in the euroleague. No reason why he cant run Koko's system now?
The Suns and Goran both F up. Cooler heads always prevail in the end. I for one would love to have him bck.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, he was looking for a name. Goran ran Koko's teams in the euroleague. No reason why he cant run Koko's system now?
The Suns and Goran both F up. Cooler heads always prevail in the end. I for one would love to have him bck.

but at what cost is the question?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This would have been a nice move for the Suns.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This would have been a nice move for the Suns.

Eh... he'd just be another fringe PG on the pile. If they bring in another PG I hope it's someone who has shown they can play.