2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So the Suns reportedly have $3.2 million in cap space now, after the Dudley trade, according to ESPN. That's projected to go up a little bit after the buyout for Darrell Arthur is complete. They may be able to make enough room to trade for Milos Teledosic from the Clippers. If they can trade Daniels, $3.5 million salary, in a salary dump or even swap him for Milos, we could absorb the different in our cap space.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41024135-4

I've seen Daniels deal reported as being as low as $3.2 million and as high as $3.6. I don't see that half a million being enough to stop a trade from happening. If you factor in the buyout of Arthur, I think it's safe to say we'll knock a half of a million off the cap number which means Daniels half a million discrepancy isn't an issue.
The Holmes trade (which happened after your post) basically took the cap savings from the Dudley trade.

I think the Suns feel comfortable going into the season with Knight/Harrison/Okobo as the PG rotation whether fans like it or not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ferrell makes so much sense at this point. I think the Suns will make another roster move.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Holmes trade (which happened after your post) basically took the cap savings from the Dudley trade.

I think the Suns feel comfortable going into the season with Knight/Harrison/Okobo as the PG rotation whether fans like it or not.

I suggested in another thread to fill the cap space they have free through a trade before trying to sign someone. It allows them a little more flexibility to do things that way. They have the $4.4 million room exception available to use to sign someone, or someones since it can be split up for more than one player. They wouldn't be able to use that without absorbing the cap space they had available so they had to fill that bit of space they had open before the tried signing someone. They've done that now.

Ferrell makes so much sense at this point. I think the Suns will make another roster move.

We've made 2 minor trades, realistically, but it's got everyone anticipating more. I think a lot of people will be disappointed if all they did was move Dudley for Holmes, basically. We did guarantee Reed also, which is a plus. Using the roster space Dudley created that quickly was surprising.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've made 2 minor trades, realistically, but it's got everyone anticipating more. I think a lot of people will be disappointed if all they did was move Dudley for Holmes, basically. We did guarantee Reed also, which is a plus. Using the roster space Dudley created that quickly was surprising.

I'm thinking the Suns will move Chriss???

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe competition against a high-energy big like Holmes pushes Chriss to compete harder and he improves? That's my hope.

A good measuring stick. If he can't surpass Holmes, there is no reason for him to be on our roster going forward. It basically gives Chriss a year to shape up or ship out.

Of course if he's not part of a trade between now and then.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. So I have been scratching around trying to find a superior pg. Here is the best I can come up with at the moment.

Kemba (1-year rental) for Chandler, Harrison, and a 1st round pick.

Not really great, but its all I got.

Nope. I came up with one more. DAR for JJ straight up. Not promoting this. I really have no idea if it is equal. To me, it is in the Nets favor.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. So I have been scratching around trying to find a superior pg. Here is the best I can come up with at the moment.

Nope. I came up with one more. DAR for JJ straight up. Not promoting this. I really have no idea if it is equal. To me, it is in the Nets favor.

All I think the Suns need at PG is a player that can successfully run the team if Knight doesn't work out. Harrison is a specialty PG (defense) and Okobo is an unpolished rookie.

A player like Ferrell might be the answer.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Daniels for Tyus Jones. Salary works, he's a free agent after this season. Minnesota has Teague and Rose already and Jones will be the odd man out, like he was once Rose was brought in last year. They don't need more locker room problems since Butler has already been at odds with Towns and Wiggins. Daniels adds scoring and 3pt shooting off the bench, which they need more than a 3rd PG. They can't spend more or they'd be paying luxury tax so they need to do something on the cheap and that would help them address some needs. We can even throw in a 2nd rounder or two.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=ya8slh4r

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the Hawks can't move Schroder, they might be willing to trade Jeremy Lin instead. Lin missed all of last season with a knee injury (played one game), but his comeback is reportedly going okay. He's no longer the highlight reel of his Linsanity days, but he's still solid if healthy. This coming season is the last on his deal, at $12.5 million. The Hawks have very little front-court talent and would probably accept Warren and Chriss for Lin, once they resign themselves to keeping Schroder.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Hawks can't move Schroder, they might be willing to trade Jeremy Lin instead. Lin missed all of last season with a knee injury (played one game), but his comeback is reportedly going okay. He's no longer the highlight reel of his Linsanity days, but he's still solid if healthy. This coming season is the last on his deal, at $12.5 million. The Hawks have very little front-court talent and would probably accept Warren and Chriss for Lin, once they resign themselves to keeping Schroder.

The Hawks dealt Schroeder to OKC for Melo and then bought him out. They got a protected first for him also. That's the first post in the 2018-19 NBA Thread that was started. Unlikely they would move Lin now. He's a good veteran to help Trae Young.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Hawks dealt Schroeder to OKC for Melo and then bought him out. They got a protected first for him also. That's the first post in the 2018-19 NBA Thread that was started. Unlikely they would move Lin now. He's a good veteran to help Trae Young.

Oops, right. Well never mind then.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Anybody watch Yogi Ferrell much?
Shoots 40+ from 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Geez

How many teams have 2 point guards that are better than any of the ones the Suns have?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Geez

How many teams have 2 point guards that are better than any of the ones the Suns have?

I know that was rhetorical, but...

76ers (Fultz, Simmons, McConnell)
Nets (Dinwiddie, Russell)
Raptors (Lowry, VanVleet)
Celtics (Rozier, Smart, Irving)
Cavs (Hill, Sexton)
Nuggets (Murray, Thomas)
Warriors (Curry, Livingston)
Clippers (SGA, Beverley)
Lakers (Rondo, Ball)

all seem like pretty good arguments.

And there are others (Spurs, Wolves, Pelicans, Thunder to name a few) that have a reasonable case as well.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I know that was rhetorical, but...

76ers (Fultz, Simmons, McConnell)
Nets (Dinwiddie, Russell)
Raptors (Lowry, VanVleet)
Celtics (Rozier, Smart, Irving)
Cavs (Hill, Sexton)
Nuggets (Murray, Thomas)
Warriors (Curry, Livingston)
Clippers (SGA, Beverley)
Lakers (Rondo, Ball)

all seem like pretty good arguments.

And there are others (Spurs, Wolves, Pelicans, Thunder to name a few) that have a reasonable case as well.
Yep, I was thinking at least a dozen and how many more have one that is better?

And nobodies gonna help the Suns out here unless they get a fortune in return. They all see that Mcduh has painted himself into a corner.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep, I was thinking at least a dozen and how many more have one that is better?

And nobodies gonna help the Suns out here unless they get a fortune in return. They all see that Mcduh has painted himself into a corner.

The Suns are probably bottom three in the league at point guard. The good news is there should be plenty of paths to changing that next year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a quote from Bordow on the PG situation.

The Suns have 15 players on their roster after Friday’s transactions. Still, training camp won’t start for nine weeks, giving General Manager Ryan McDonough plenty of time to address Phoenix’s relative lack of depth at point guard.

Currently, the only point guards on the roster are Brandon Knight, who’s coming off reconstructive knee surgery, rookie Elie Okobo and Harrison, whose NBA career consists of 23 games.

The Suns have approximately $1.6 million in salary cap space but they also possess the room exception of $4.4 million.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...un-holmes-davon-reed-shaq-harrison/809380002/

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's the most that the Suns should give up for a starting caliber PG this year, if one is made available? I know most will say Warren, any picks instead? Either the Bucks pick or our own with protection?

I don't mean a Lillard, Kyrie, Westbrook type player who are franchise players or even the borderline All-Stars like Lowry or Kemba but average PG's like Collison, Rubio, DeAngelo Russell, Teague, Rondo, etc.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the most that the Suns should give up for a starting caliber PG this year, if one is made available? I know most will say Warren, any picks instead? Either the Bucks pick or our own with protection?

I don't mean a Lillard, Kyrie, Westbrook type player who are franchise players or even the borderline All-Stars like Lowry or Kemba but average PG's like Collison, Rubio, DeAngelo Russell, Teague, Rondo, etc.

I've always liked Darren Collison. Maybe he can be had for a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline.

Now I see you mean this year making it tougher.