2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nah, you missed my point. Igor will have a much better understanding of Luka's NBA viability than any of us have. More than any scout too IMO. I think it's just as likely we won't pursue Doncic because Igor knows Luka's limitations.

That would be fine, but it assumes Igor will be non-partisan in evaluating doncic, and won't be pushing him because that's his guy. That is my worry.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be fine, but it assumes Igor will be non-partisan in evaluating doncic, and won't be pushing him because that's his guy. That is my worry.

Igor's career and wallet are on the line, I can't see favoritism entering the picture. I don't know much about the area but is there really a strong personal or national connection between the two that would bring about this kind of partisanship?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing the Suns just achieved. They should be able to bluff teams on who they pick in the draft.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Igor's career and wallet are on the line, I can't see favoritism entering the picture. I don't know much about the area but is there really a strong personal or national connection between the two that would bring about this kind of partisanship?

Amos Jones cost the cardinals games, but Arians wouldn't dump him because they were boys. It happens.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Same here.

Raindog

Reaction score
And sometimes there is a blind spot that comes from familiarity, loyalty, and a close relationship.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s part of my worry as well.

And I think it’s a legit one. It’s his guy and while that might give him better insight, it could cloud judgement by the same token.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And sometimes there is a blind spot that comes from familiarity, loyalty, and a close relationship.
Yes, fans, I am going to cite this example.

John MacLeod saw to it that we drafted his lightweight Center and, for a decade, a tall Wing established the Suns forever as a non-power team. An MO that has haunted us ever since.

BTW, I'll be attending the Mighty Mercury's second home game in a few weeks and rooting for them to add their (and the arena's) 4th basketball championship banner.

The D-backs, with the best record in the league, and the Mercury, with Diana Taurasi and Brittney Griner (and my favorite, DeWanna Bonner). Finally, it's a great time to be a fan in the Valley.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, fans, I am going to cite this example.

John MacLeod saw to it that we drafted his lightweight Center and, for a decade, a tall Wing established the Suns forever as a non-power team. An MO that has haunted us ever since.

BTW, I'll be attending the Mighty Mercury's second home game in a few weeks and rooting for them to add their (and the arena's) 4th basketball championship banner.

The D-backs, with the best record in the league, and the Mercury, with Diana Taurasi and Brittney Griner (and my favorite, DeWanna Bonner). Finally, it's a great time to be a fan in the Valley.
Are you talking about the rookie of the year that led our team to the finals? You have to be kidding!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Are you talking about the rookie of the year that led our team to the finals? You have to be kidding!
He was a lightweight novelty, with whom the league caught up very quickly. But his college coach, then coaching the Suns, stubbornly kept him in the post -- which he played 12 feet from the basket. Forcing every Suns Power Forward for a decade to cover Center.

What did Alvan Adams lead us to after that Cinderella year? Back then they called it finesse basketball. And the Suns reached the finals once more in 50 years.

You know that. You've witnessed it as have I. No kidding!!!

If Doncic can be a Point Guard who makes the rest of the team better, fine. Which is hardly a given.

But not if the Center of the decade is available.

If that happens, I am giving conditional notice that I will shut down my Suns board of ASFN next season and stick with the D-backs and Mercury.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alvan wasn't even the smallest center in the league back then. And that 75 draft class was one of the worst drafts ever, it's not like there were superstars for the grabbing (although the ABA grabbed one that season). Sure we could have taken Darryl Dawkins or Rich Kelly but most fans would put Adams above either of them.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Alvan wasn't even the smallest center in the league back then. And that 75 draft class was one of the worst drafts ever, it's not like there were superstars for the grabbing (although the ABA grabbed one that season). Sure we could have taken Darryl Dawkins or Rich Kelly but most fans would put Adams above either of them.
But not locking up the Center position for the following decade.

Raindog

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are really delving back into NBA history! I liked Alvan, but the Suns did hang onto him as their center for far too long. He should have been replaced by a more legitimate post presence by his third year, and moved out to PF or even SF, which would have been a preferable defensive alignment. I agree that the Suns kept with the small ball approach for far too long during that era.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was a lightweight novelty, with whom the league caught up very quickly. But his college coach, then coaching the Suns, stubbornly kept him in the post -- which he played 12 feet from the basket. Forcing every Suns Power Forward for a decade to cover Center.

What did Alvan Adams lead us to after that Cinderella year? Back then they called it finesse basketball. And the Suns reached the finals once more in 50 years.

You know that. You've witnessed it as have I. No kidding!!!

If Doncic can be a Point Guard who makes the rest of the team better, fine. Which is hardly a given.

But not if the Center of the decade is available.

If that happens, I am giving conditional notice that I will shut down my Suns board of ASFN next season and stick with the D-backs and Mercury.
This argument just loses. Its a wrong view of history, Alvan Adams, the NBA, everything. Its tinfoil hat, we never landed on the moon type stuff.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This argument just loses. Its a wrong view of history, Alvan Adams, the NBA, everything. Its tinfoil hat, we never landed on the moon type stuff.
JC, that is about as vague a response as I've ever seen. But then, you've made it clear who the "JC" in your title stands for.

My initials are BC, and it sure doesn't stand for Bryan Colangelo. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are really delving back into NBA history! I liked Alvan, but the Suns did hang onto him as their center for far too long. He should have been replaced by a more legitimate post presence by his third year, and moved out to PF or even SF, which would have been a preferable defensive alignment. I agree that the Suns kept with the small ball approach for far too long during that era.
It was really hard to find big men in those days. Go back and look at the drafts from 1976-1983 or so. Slim pickens.

Raindog

Reaction score
It was really hard to find big men in those days. Go back and look at the drafts from 1976-1983 or so. Slim pickens.

You're correct - Slim Pickens was a big man. Not quite as big as James Arness, but probably bigger than Jack Elam.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JC, that is about as vague a response as I've ever seen. But then, you've made it clear who the "JC" in your title stands for.

My initials are BC, and it sure doesn't stand for Bryan Colangelo. :)
I never took BC that way. I assure you.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McDermott literally provides nothing outside of floor spacing. If that is all Doncic can do, hes a bigger bust than Anthony Bennett.

I would bet the house he is much more impactful than McDemott the day he steps on the floor. Game 1.
Sorry if this is dark... but the only way you can be a big bigger bust than Bennett is to OD on draft night.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, Ayton is still the top pick, I'm not worried about that, but I do feel better about Doncic at #2 if that is how the chips fall.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just because Igor coached Doncic in Europe doesn't mean he's convinced he's the top prospect in this draft. There is no indication that Igor thinks Doncic should be the #1 pick or go before Ayton in this draft. Igor is finally an NBA head coach now, he'll want to add the best player out there to his team, not the one he's most familiar with.

I think some people are getting ahead of themselves by saying that the Suns will pass on Ayton for Doncic if given the chance. If the Suns do take Doncic, I'm less concerned about him being a bust than before because Igor is familiar with him but that's about it. The team hasn't shown their hand one way or the other in regards to who they favor at the top of the draft so there is no need to panic or be upset over something that may happen, but is far from guaranteed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just because Igor coached Doncic in Europe doesn't mean he's convinced he's the top prospect in this draft. There is no indication that Igor thinks Doncic should be the #1 pick or go before Ayton in this draft. Igor is finally an NBA head coach now, he'll want to add the best player out there to his team, not the one he's most familiar with.

I think some people are getting ahead of themselves by saying that the Suns will pass on Ayton for Doncic if given the chance. If the Suns do take Doncic, I'm less concerned about him being a bust than before because Igor is familiar with him but that's about it. The team hasn't shown their hand one way or the other in regards to who they favor at the top of the draft so there is no need to panic or be upset over something that may happen, but is far from guaranteed.
I believe this is true. He coached him for a short run on the national team. He did not coach him for four years like Mcleod did with Adams at Oklahoma. Mcleod had a four year system based upon Adams skill set. I think it was a good pick, but it is a completely different situation than with Igor and Doncic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this is true. He coached him for a short run on the national team. He did not coach him for four years like Mcleod did with Adams at Oklahoma. Mcleod had a four year system based upon Adams skill set. I think it was a good pick, but it is a completely different situation than with Igor and Doncic.

Oh yeah? Well how do you explain the fact that Igor's son is named Luka?:cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort