2014 Arizona Basketball

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, his credibility is starting to take a hit.

It's the easiest prediction to make, but it's one that everyone is going off of. As of this morning, the coaches didn't know what way Stanley was leaving.

They do now because there's a press conference at 5pm today for him to announce his future.

I actually hope he stays just so Ace will have been wrong twice! Of course he'd just say he initially said Johnson was leaning towards staying.

Like when he claimed Justise Winslow lied about nearly going to UCLA because he didn't want to make his mom feel bad. For a year he'd been saying Winslow wanted to go to UA, but his mom made him go to Duke. then the kid told reporters he nearly went to UCLA and even Jones and Okafor didn't know he was going to Duke or UCLA until he announced for Duke. And someone asked Ace about it on PGU and he said the kid lied so as not to make his mom look bad.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ristic cant guard 5s, so I doubt hes going to be able to guard 4s with much success. I heard this proposed as something we could do for 5 minutes per game, but long-term, it's not a good idea.

yeah I agree with the other poster that Anderson is probably going to be better out of the box than Rabb. But if you had both you're far better off than not having a backup 4. That's where not being able to persuade Victor to wait his turn really hurt.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
yeah I agree with the other poster that Anderson is probably going to be better out of the box than Rabb. But if you had both you're far better off than not having a backup 4. That's where not being able to persuade Victor to wait his turn really hurt.

There were other factors that led to Victor's departure, not just lack of playing time.

But yes, Anderson right now is better than Rabb. If we get Tollefsen, then we're fine at the 4.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were other factors that led to Victor's departure, not just lack of playing time.

But yes, Anderson right now is better than Rabb. If we get Tollefsen, then we're fine at the 4.

I'm sure he wished he'd stayed home originally too.

Tollefsen can play but he's really a tweener F. He doesn't rebound like you want your 4 too. He's very long, can make the open 3 and is an insane dunker, but he has very little midrange or back to the basket game.

Saw USF several times the last couple of years he's tantalizing because he's so long and athletic, but he doesn't play consistently hard. Maybe Miller can get it out of him, Rex couldn't. He was a good player but it was no secret that Rex Walter didn't think he played hard. To be fair, they have had a huge turnover problem under Walters that will ultimately cost him his job. Remember this is a guy who allegedly asked Doolin and Tim Derksen in practice do you guys want to fight or not, and then formed a circle around the 2 as they came to blows. 3 days later Doolin left school and they've been investigating it ever since. So he's not easy to play for and maybe Tollefsen will play harder at UA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW Gershon said on BRO today that Stanley was almost always leaving, and Lee was almost always going to UA, and Miller knew that.

So if that's true, then Ace's sources were never right at all which makes it even funnier now that he's blasting his own reader base telling them to lay off Stanley. he's the one that started the rumor if Stanley goes, Lee comes to UA, if anybody is responsible for blaming Stanley, it's Ace.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is old but I never heard of it before until someone sent me the link.

scroll down to the 2nd story, some fascinating stuff about Ace and Jason Scheer.

I was aware he and Scheer had a history of bad blood but this is ridiculous.

I knew he had a drug conviction and I've also seen posts about him being involved in some sort of fraud involving a house, I know that went to court and he had to pay a settlement or something, people on the Scout UA board were posting about that a couple of years back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Tollefsen committed to UA.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Looks like Tollefsen committed to UA.

Yep. To your earlier point, he doesn't have traditional 4 skills, but it's better than relying on Ray Smith to play the 4 or Ristic. At least Tollefsen can play 10-15 min if need be.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Tarc coming back, I wonder if Comanche will redshirt next year? I think the Cats really won't miss a beat with Anderson in there, the guy is a senior who has practiced with the team for a year. Tarc and Anderson will make a very nice combo up front.

I can see the Cats running more next year. We'll probably see a lot of three guards playing at the same time. Looking at next year's team, I like what I see. I think Allen is the big wildcard. The guy was the JC player of the year and I think he definitely benefited from sitting out last year. This team will have a nice mixture of veteran and youth.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. To your earlier point, he doesn't have traditional 4 skills, but it's better than relying on Ray Smith to play the 4 or Ristic. At least Tollefsen can play 10-15 min if need be.

Oh yeah he's an experienced kid , and the best option UA has. I think he's the best bet to backup the 4 for UA. Weird he waited on 2 guys who would play the 3 before he committed though. Maybe he thinks he'll get some run at the 3.

Maybe he will but seems more likely he's the backup behind Anderson at the 4.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw on ESPN that we got Tollefsen for sure. Yay. :)

Probably a good timing situation. Sounds like the NCAA is about to change this rule due to all the schools ignoring the intent of the rule.

First off kids are only supposed to transfer to schools who offer a graduate program that's not available at the school they are leaving, this has been routinely ignored according to audits the NCAA did of past transfers.

But the bigger problem is that virtually all of these kids transfer and enroll in 2 year graduate programs, play one year, and then leave without completing the 2nd year. Given that in some cases these players are taking a spot away from a "real" student, the NCAA said they find it unconscionable that schools are doing this.

So the solution is going to be requiring them to sit out a year before they can play.

Sounds like this year is probably the last year of immediate eligibility for grad transfers.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Probably a good timing situation. Sounds like the NCAA is about to change this rule due to all the schools ignoring the intent of the rule.

First off kids are only supposed to transfer to schools who offer a graduate program that's not available at the school they are leaving, this has been routinely ignored according to audits the NCAA did of past transfers.

But the bigger problem is that virtually all of these kids transfer and enroll in 2 year graduate programs, play one year, and then leave without completing the 2nd year. Given that in some cases these players are taking a spot away from a "real" student, the NCAA said they find it unconscionable that schools are doing this.

So the solution is going to be requiring them to sit out a year before they can play.

Sounds like this year is probably the last year of immediate eligibility for grad transfers.

I feel like if a player graduates from his original school he has fulfilled what is supposed to be his primary goal at that institution (remember, the NCAA considers them "student-athletes" above all else) and should be able to do whatever the hell he or she wants. Of course I'm a guy who believes in some compensation as well as open transfers without delay or location.

NCAA said they find it unconscionable that schools are doing this.
That's funny.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like if a player graduates from his original school he has fulfilled what is supposed to be his primary goal at that institution (remember, the NCAA considers them "student-athletes" above all else) and should be able to do whatever the hell he or she wants. Of course I'm a guy who believes in some compensation as well as open transfers without delay or location.

That's funny.

I agree, the problem is they're transferring under a rule that was put in place specifically for grad transfers. The rule was very clear to avoid people abusing it, and people still abused it.

There were 2 proposals as I read it on how to address the part where some dramatically low number of kids were actually staying for that 2nd year, the NCAA was either going to count those kids against APR(not fair they already graduated from a school) or make them sit a year.

I think the idea is Grad school is supposed to be academically not athletically motivated so bumping actual students out of grad programs to make room for athletes who then drop out after 1 year, is unfair.

Brendan Lane's mom used to post on BRO, when he was transferring from UCLA she mentioned how of the last X schools on his list, only 1, Pepperdine, was actually 100% following the rules. Pepperdine made sure his grad program was not available at UCLA, all the other schools told him not to worry the NCAA didn't enforce that and they were all willing to let him take a program UCLA also offered. And he wanted to RS a year to get healthy, Pepperdine was the only school that offered to let him do that, the others said the scholarship was only for 1 year, if he wanted the 2nd year, he had to pay himself. Note, Lane graduated from UCLA in 3 years so he was within the 5 years to play 4, he wasn't asking for a 6th year paid. So most of the schools trying to sign him were not expecting him to stay the 2nd year. And it's not like Lane was some highly sought after kid by that point like Damion Lee.

The NCAA is trying to slow down all the transfers, it's not going to work but that's what they're trying to do.

Here's a link to one story about this

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/division-chief-puts-transfer-rules-priority-list-185137288--ncaab.html

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's funny.

Of course Arizona basketball would want to be able to immediately poach the top talent they ignored out of HS - as a top program, they would feel that way.

College basketball recruiting in general is very dirty - this re-recruitment of good players that develop at smaller schools is another symptom of this disease.

Fordham just lost their best player - going to Villanova.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course Arizona basketball would want to be able to immediately poach the top talent they ignored out of HS - as a top program, they would feel that way.

College basketball recruiting in general is very dirty - this re-recruitment of good players that develop at smaller schools is another symptom of this disease.

For non seniors that's why you have to sit a year. Everyone here knew McConnell was coming to UA long before he announced he'd decided to transfer, I posted it here midseason when he was still at Duquesne. EVeryone knew it and clearly Miller was recruiting him, but the kid had to sit a year so can't complain.

With the senior guys that's the NCAA concern, teams are proactively targeting kids when they realize next year they can be a grad transfer, and then recruiting them during the season at their current school trying to get a head start.

Apparently Bruiser Flint has already said a half dozen schools were recruiting Damion Lee during the season including Louisville who got him.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For non seniors that's why you have to sit a year. Everyone here knew McConnell was coming to UA long before he announced he'd decided to transfer, I posted it here midseason when he was still at Duquesne. EVeryone knew it and clearly Miller was recruiting him, but the kid had to sit a year so can't complain.

With the senior guys that's the NCAA concern, teams are proactively targeting kids when they realize next year they can be a grad transfer, and then recruiting them during the season at their current school trying to get a head start.

Apparently Bruiser Flint has already said a half dozen schools were recruiting Damion Lee during the season including Louisville who got him.

The way basketball is going, seems like even one year is not enough. I would love to have tampering made punishable by loss of post-season.

The Oregon recruitment of Vernon Adams from Eastern Washington is another sordid example of the abuse of the Grad Transfer

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I feel the same way in football and UA isn't exactly a powerhouse. Until the kids get paid they should be able to do whatever they can legally and morally to further their future earning potential. I don't consider changing from some joke major at School A to joke major at School B to be anything morally or legally reprehensible.

Too bad for Fordham, but don't suck and it's not a problem.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the early rumors is Miller to Florida, of course this time it's Archie not Sean.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way in football and UA isn't exactly a powerhouse. Until the kids get paid they should be able to do whatever they can legally and morally to further their future earning potential. I don't consider changing from some joke major at School A to joke major at School B to be anything morally or legally reprehensible.

Too bad for Fordham, but don't suck and it's not a problem.

I think if the NCAA really is serious about it they should institute a 2nd APR like formula that counts grad transfers. So if you take a grad transfer and he doesn't actually complete his grad degree and just leaves after 1 year, it hurts your APR somehow. That would discourage teams from using the rule as a hired gun approach.

I do wonder how much this transfer to a higher level stuff actually helps kids earnings potential? I can't fault McConnell at all for wanting to play at a higher level, he wasn't playing in the Elite 8 if he stayed at Duquesne, but the whole reason UA recruited and took him from Duquesne is it was obvious when they played them, that he was better than the PG's they had. It's not like he couldn't play until he got to UA.

he got more exposure, maybe he got better coaching I don't know, he got stronger at UA but that probably would have happened anyways as he got older.

It certainly didn't hurt him transferring, and he got lots of benefits playing at the higher level . But he's still a kid who might not get drafted and is going to have to earn his way into the NBA.

I can't think of too many cases of a kid who just would not have made the NBA if he hadn't transferred.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cal has the best starting five in the Pac-12 with the commitment of Jaylen Brown.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cal has the best starting five in the Pac-12 with the commitment of Jaylen Brown.

I guess all the UA fans who made fun of Rabb picking Cal because they had no talent will apologize now.

I thought for sure he was going to Michigan after he dropped Kansas, clearly Rabb knew this was possible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA