2014 Arizona Basketball

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned about for next year is if our guards are going to be able to get the rest of the team involved. After having TJ McConnell the last 2 years I don't want to go back to a PG who plays like MoMo.

Hopefully one of the new guys has the distributor gene.

THat's what PJC does really well.

I keep hearing how good Kadeem is, in scrimmage this year on tv he was absolutely awful, but apparently played much better in practices.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one. Miller is done recruiting high schoolers for 2015. Since Rabb isn't coming, I would prefer a graduate transfer since our team is going to be very young at key positions.

2015 is still a great class, though.

FYI apparently Zimmerman is going to announce for UNLV today or tomorrow.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
FYI apparently Zimmerman is going to announce for UNLV today or tomorrow.

Yeah, the tide has been turning in that direction for the past two weeks. Guess, like Rabb, he didnt want to leave home.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the tide has been turning in that direction for the past two weeks. Guess, like Rabb, he didnt want to leave home.

I never really bought he was going to UCLA. THe stepmom has made it clear they were looking for a certain situation for him, starting spot, offense runs through the bigs etc. Just not the case at UCLA. He wasn't going to start ahead of Parker or Bolden, and the bigs until late in the year didn't get the ball enough.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't seen the article until today but I guess 2 days ago Pascoe did a piece on a possible reason Stanley hasn't declared. Basically says NBA people are saying Stanley's stock fell, he was top 5 out of HS, Top 5 early in the year, but now might be very close to falling out of the top 10(DE has him 9th). Stanley apparently wants a guarantee he's top 10 or he might stay at UA because he thinks the lost money from 5 to out of the top 10 is too much and going back will move him back into the top 5 next year.

And no I'm not blaming Miller here I think it's classic be careful what you wish for. Johnson said repeatedly he wants to play the 2 in the NBA and that he wanted to play in a system that let him show his guard skills. Beginning of the year he's the starting 3, York at the 2 and everyone is wondering why Miller isn't starting Rondae. they finally make the switch, York thrives as the 6th man, Rondae does well at the 3 as a lockdown defender, and Stanley gets what he wants, starting at the 2.

Problem is, he played the 2 just well enough to prove to scouts he's a better 3 than a 2 right now and that hurt his draft stock.

It is weird, I keep hearing Winslows stock is skyrocketing because he showed he can make 3's and take people off the dribble in addition to guarding and rebounding. I love the kid, but he did all this playing the 4 not the 2 or the 3. He was taking college 4's off the bounce, and hitting open 3's because college 4's back off guys like him.

I think he's better off the bounce and a better passer than Stanley but it is ironic his stock rose as a NBA 2 while Johnson's fell because he actually played guard.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure the circumstances but apparently Jason Scheer did a story about Zimmerman committing to UA complete with a video and it got released.

I'm assuming by accident, they probably do these things in advance so if the kid does commit they can get it out quickly.

He officially committed to UNLV on Twitter.

TJ

Reaction score
Not sure the circumstances but apparently Jason Scheer did a story about Zimmerman committing to UA complete with a video and it got released.

I'm assuming by accident, they probably do these things in advance so if the kid does commit they can get it out quickly.

He officially committed to UNLV on Twitter.

I got the email about that.

Scheer didn't do that, it was his Marketing guys who did. Scheer has said for months that there was 0% chance of him committing to UofA and that it was either UCLA or UNLV.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting interesting now. Yesterdays rumor is Stanley Johnson told Damion Lee as of now he's coming back to Arizona.

If he does has some interesting ripples, better size and rebounding, virtually guarantees Trier doesn't start, and probably means Lee to Maryland.

Assuming Johnson is 100% sure it's a win win, a similar thing happened to UCLA and cost them Elijah Stewart. Jordan Adams told Stewart he was coming back to UCLA, they had just offered Stewart, and he picked USC because Adams was coming back. A few days later UK had a couple of kids stay unexpectedly, Adams suddenly was a first rounder, and went pro because he needed the money for his sick mom and UCLA lost Stewart.

Don't think that happens with UA because Johnson's family has money.

TJ

Reaction score
Getting interesting now. Yesterdays rumor is Stanley Johnson told Damion Lee as of now he's coming back to Arizona.

If he does has some interesting ripples, better size and rebounding, virtually guarantees Trier doesn't start, and probably means Lee to Maryland.

Assuming Johnson is 100% sure it's a win win, a similar thing happened to UCLA and cost them Elijah Stewart. Jordan Adams told Stewart he was coming back to UCLA, they had just offered Stewart, and he picked USC because Adams was coming back. A few days later UK had a couple of kids stay unexpectedly, Adams suddenly was a first rounder, and went pro because he needed the money for his sick mom and UCLA lost Stewart.

Don't think that happens with UA because Johnson's family has money.

I know Johnson had contacted Lee. It's anyone's guess whether Stanley is staying or going. Lee just finished his visit to Louisville yesterday and has an in-home with Gonzaga sometime this week. Maryland has nothing official set up with him, as far as I know, and would doubt they are the leader. Lee is in no rush to decide, and I heard he really enjoyed his trip to Tucson.

From what I've heard, we should know about Stanley by Thursday.. My guess is Miller has known what's going on for some time.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Johnson had contacted Lee. It's anyone's guess whether Stanley is staying or going. Lee just finished his visit to Louisville yesterday and has an in-home with Gonzaga sometime this week. Maryland has nothing official set up with him, as far as I know, and would doubt they are the leader. Lee is in no rush to decide, and I heard he really enjoyed his trip to Tucson.

From what I've heard, we should know about Stanley by Thursday.. My guess is Miller has known what's going on for some time.

Yeah what I read was that Lee has been to maryland so many times(he's from the area) that he probably won't even need anything official with them. He's seeing the other schools he's never been to but if he doesn't go to ARizona, he's probably going to Maryland.

Anybody's guess, certainly Gonzaga and Louisville would be great choices too.

Really looking like JOhnson is going to stay. He apparently wants a top 5 guarantee and wont' get it.

You never know, this time last year Gordon was projected out of the top 5 and wound up 4th. I know Gordon talked about considering staying but there was never any real drama, he had an agent 5 minutes after the end of the Wisconsin loss, Johnson has apparently talked to agents but seems like he's genuinely thinking if he comes back he'll go much higher.

TJ

Reaction score
Stanley is thinking about it, but still, everyone believes he's going pro until new information develops to the contrary.

Either way, given what I've heard, we're going to have either Stanley or Lee, which is something I could live with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnson coming back would be HUGE. Kid needs another year of seasoning and could be a dominant college player who can take this team to the title.

TJ

Reaction score
Johnson coming back would be HUGE. Kid needs another year of seasoning and could be a dominant college player who can take this team to the title.

If Stanley comes back, he's the immediate front-runner for NPoY.

And now it's looking like Lee is going to Louisville barring a sudden change of heart. Johnson staying in college would almost be necessary for a championship run.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Stanley comes back, he's the immediate front-runner for NPoY.

And now it's looking like Lee is going to Louisville barring a sudden change of heart. Johnson staying in college would almost be necessary for a championship run.

I heard Louisville wanted him to commit during his visit and he would not. I think he is waiting to see what Stanley does. I believe Johnson is gone and getting Lee would be huge.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanley is thinking about it, but still, everyone believes he's going pro until new information develops to the contrary.

Either way, given what I've heard, we're going to have either Stanley or Lee, which is something I could live with.

He'd be among them but not necessarily the favorite. I think Melo Trimble will get lots of attention too and Wiltjer and Jackson from ND plus there's usually a freshman or two.

But he would definitely be in the mix.

Someone on BRO said Ace is reporting Stanley to the NBA, if Lee goes to Louisville was it the Jordan Adams scenario again or did Lee just decide Louisville was a better fit? or will he now flip to UA knowing Stan is gone.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Louisville wanted him to commit during his visit and he would not. I think he is waiting to see what Stanley does. I believe Johnson is gone and getting Lee would be huge.

Lee just committed to Louisville.

I assume Miller is all in on Tollefsen now and hopes Stanley decides to stay.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
So what's the status of our '15 class now that we lost Rabb & Lee? If Johnson leaves we are a bit screwed yes?

TJ

Reaction score
So what's the status of our '15 class now that we lost Rabb & Lee? If Johnson leaves we are a bit screwed yes?

Not necessarily. We still have the #2 class in the nation with Trier, Smith, Comanche, and Simon. Anderson becomes eligible. We return York and Kaleb. Ristic and PJC have a year under their belt. Hopefully, Tollefsen transfers to us.

Maybe not NC caliber, but still the best in the PAC.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Losing Rabb was not as big as ppl made it and I'm not saying that out of bitterness. If given the choice of a 22 year old Anderson for 1 year vs 19 year Rabb I'm taking Anderson. Should Rabb stick around for 2 years I would change my answer but I'm expecting 1 and done.

With the lack of SF experience I wonder if Miller goes with the twin towers next year. If Tarc or Ristic developes a nice outside game I think they could share the court.

TJ

Reaction score
Losing Rabb was not as big as ppl made it and I'm not saying that out of bitterness. If given the choice of a 22 year old Anderson for 1 year vs 19 year Rabb I'm taking Anderson. Should Rabb stick around for 2 years I would change my answer but I'm expecting 1 and done.

With the lack of SF experience I wonder if Miller goes with the twin towers next year. If Tarc or Ristic developes a nice outside game I think they could share the court.

Ristic cant guard 5s, so I doubt hes going to be able to guard 4s with much success. I heard this proposed as something we could do for 5 minutes per game, but long-term, it's not a good idea.

TJ

Reaction score
It's the easiest prediction to make. He throws a ton of crap out there hoping something will stick.

Yeah, his credibility is starting to take a hit.

It's the easiest prediction to make, but it's one that everyone is going off of. As of this morning, the coaches didn't know what way Stanley was leaving.

They do now because there's a press conference at 5pm today for him to announce his future.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard