2011 *possible* free agents of note

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
*DISCLAIMER*
This list assumes that a new CBA will be in place and that it won't change the dynamics of free agency (it almost certainly will to some degree.) Many players will be left out because I personally don't see what they could bring to the Cards. Feel free to bring them up if you must.

QB

Peyton Manning- He's not going to hit the market, and if he did I doubt he'd come here. It's good to dream though and he would be perfect. Not going to happen unless hell freezes over. Move one.

Matt Hasselbeck- Yep, he's a FA. He'd be a solid pick-up if we have a young guy in the wings that we like. We know that he can't stay healthy, so him getting hurt would give us the excuse to start Skelton/Luck/Mallet/Newton.

Kerry Collins- The definition of a place-keeper QB who has shown in Tennessee the past two years that he can still contribute if he must.

Chad Pennington- If he chooses not to retire, another place-keeper who performs when healthy.

HB

I hate bringing in FA RBs and the Cards don't need one, but the list has some interesting names on it so I'll list them without analysis.

DeAngelo Williams
Jamaal Charles
Cedric Benson
Jerome Harrison
Darren Sproles
Joseph Addai
Ronnie Brown
LeRon McClain* (technically a FB but can be used either way.
Ahmad Bradshaw

FB

LeRon McClain
Brian Leonard
Deon Anderson
Korey Hall
Vonta Leach
Naufahu Tahi
Ahmard Hall

WR

We could be losing Breaston, Fitz and Doucet over the next 2 years so these are worth looking at.

Sidney Rice- Gifted player. Elite size. Above average play maker.

Vincent Jackson- Very talented big WR. Looking to break the bank.

Santonio Holmes- The guy who crushed our SB hopes would finally give us the speedster we've longed for for years.

TE

Zach Miller- ASU hero would provide a huge boost to our weak TE core.

Kevin Boss- Solid all around TE. Can block and catch. Not elite but an upgrade.

OL

Jared Gaither
Logan Mankins

If either of the above hit the market we have to pursue. We could use help at any position on the OL. I'm all for continuity but the unit we have no is so inferior that continuity means locking into suckyness for years.

DL
Assuming we stay 3-4 we're pretty much locked in to Dockett, Williams, and Campbell for next year.

LB

Lamaar Woodley- Whiz loves former Steelers. Pitt hates to give many guys big extensions. If Bidwill is willing to pay for him, Whiz will certainly pursue him.

David Harris- Good young LB. Jets have many extensions to deal with between Harris, Mangold, Holmes, and they just ate a ton of money on Revis. At least one of those guys hits the market and all would be good to pursue.

Kirk Morrison- He was a tackle machine in Oakland before being sent to the moneyless Jacksonville Jaguars. He'd be the perfect upgrade/replacement for Hayes to play next to the speedster Washington.

Chad Greenway- Has been good coming back from his injury rookie year. Can he play 3-4 LB?

Manny Lawson- Always nice to ninja a player from a division rival.

CB

I suspect we stick with Toler and DRC as the starters. They are still developing and I doubt Whiz throws them under the bus right now. So this list looks at guys who can be Nickle and Dime backs.

Fabian Washington- Has elite speed and superior size to Adams. Probably looking to start somewhere however.

Lito Sheppard- This guy is getting older. Not a starter caliber anymore IMO. Good 3rd CB.

Ellis Hobbs- Assuming health, this kid is not only an athletic nickleback, but also has elite return skills which is always a plus.

William Gay-Whiz seems to like Pitt guys. We'll see if that includes guys he didn't know that well starting this off-season.

S

I don't like what I see. No upgrades IMO.

All in all, there actually seems to be some really good names out there. Some that I didn't bother including too.The labor situation seems to have made certain teams very leery about handing out extensions beyond this year. Optimistically, all the money we didn't spend this off-season can be used as bargain shopping in the 2011 off-season, especially if the owners get their way and cut player salaries. Realistically, Billy Bidwill is going to pocket the money and we won't sign anyone worthwhile.

Last edited:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Part of me wants to see who's out there, but I'm gonna hold off on too much analysis until we see if there's pro football in 2011.

Quickly though, players who will not be FA's next year (from above):
Nick Mangold's locked up
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3647

Marcus McNeil
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3639

Chad Pennington (almost certainly a retirement)
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=858

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Crap, now I'm thinking about it.
I'm skipping the guys Dew already mentioned, but I do agree there are some intriguing names on it.
Boss and Mankins are two.

Here's a small list of "names", guys I think that can make the jump, and guys who's measurables are fancy:
Note that the names are hyperlinks to roto, so you can take a closer look if you don't know them. There's a great shot most of these guys get re-signed, but since it's Christmas let's just play.

Alan Faneca
Ben Graham
Deuce Lutui

Justin Blalock - An undersized college tackle, plays at G for the Falcons. Up and down.

Marc Bulger - Warner had to spend a year with the Giants after the Rams. Let's go ahead and call this "part 2".
Chris Carr
Haloti Ngata - I'd rather have too many starters than not, but he's probably in line for a Dockett sized contract.
Marshal Yanda - Plays both T/G, has a lot of starting experience. Nothing sexy, just lunch pail.

Ryan Kalil - Anger in the middle
Johnathan Joseph - Another would-be starter and I'm not killing the chances of anyone on the Cards roster, but he's very good.
Reggie Kelly - The Cards wanted him in FA a few years ago for his blocking skills. But he is older.

Matt Roth - a bright player w/ the Dolphins shown the door for contract complaint. Had a solid year so far.
Lawrence Vickers
Eric Wright

Ryan Harris - yeah, right.

Cullen Jenkins - another starter, but would fit very well in the Cardinal 3-4 D from a disruption standpoint.

Kevin Bentley - another possible Mike player.
Jacoby Jones - someone will pay him starter cash, but has wheels.
Matt Leinart - couldn't help myself.
Kasey Studdard - bad fit for the Kubiak zone/cut scheme, but measurables are a match for what Whis and Co look for.

Marcedes Lewis - seam player, great size, blocking isn't as refined.

Tamba Hali - another not-gonna-happen but would bring pressure off edge.

Tyrell Johnson - project guy for A-dub. Speed and power.
Ben Leber - close to done, but is a solid rotational LBer, played extensively in the 3-4 and 4-3, great SAM for a while.

Matt Light - a 'swagger' pickup w/ hardware.

Chase Blackburn - on the outs with a re-surging Giants, could be a solid rotational/ST player.

Kellen Clemens - a QB caught in a series of transitions. Looked ugly behind a mediocre line but still has a lot of positive potential.
David Harris

Thomas Howard - another Raider freak.
Sam Williams - Could really blossom in a new scheme.
Kamerion Wimbley - having a very nice season.

Keyaron Fox - another rotational vet.
Matt Spaeth - has stable skills, can't beat out Heath (who's more athletically gifted).

Kevin Burnett - just want to get a look at more LB's who've been in 3-4's
Stephen Cooper
Legedu Naanee - could be a modest gain, lots of athletic talent.
Brandon Siler
Billy Volek - Up and down as a starter, could bring stability to a team in flux. If smart, won't leave SD.

David Baas - a possible upgrade at C
Alex Smith - wait wait wait. Don't kill me on this. Alex Smith has looked good at times.
Those times? Spread/shotgun offense, which Whis is still clearly in love with as a featured package.
The Niners want to build around Gore and the power game. The Cards want to pass to get the lead, and let Beanie keep it.
He'll be dirt cheap and throws a pretty good deep ball.
This guy could be a sleeper, which is insane as a first overall pick.

Kelly Jennings

Davin Joseph - could get cut coming off IR, is effective and could push for a starting spot.

Leroy Harris - another perfect scheme guard. Very talented.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Part of me wants to see who's out there, but I'm gonna hold off on too much analysis until we see if there's pro football in 2011.

Quickly though, players who will not be FA's next year (from above):
Nick Mangold's locked up
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3647

Marcus McNeil
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3639

Chad Pennington (almost certainly a retirement)
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=858

Missed those. Thanks I'll edit them out.

OP
OP
D

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I'm skipping the guys Dew already mentioned, but I do agree there are some intriguing names on it.

Here's a small list of "names", guys I think that can make the jump, and guys who's measurables are fancy:
Note that the names are hyperlinks to roto, so you can take a closer look if you don't know them. There's a great shot most of these guys get re-signed, but since it's Christmas let's just play.

Alan Faneca
Ben Graham
Deuce Lutui

Justin Blalock - An undersized college tackle, plays at G for the Falcons. Up and down.

Marc Bulger - Warner had to spend a year with the Giants after the Rams. Let's go ahead and call this "part 2".
Chris Carr
Haloti Ngata - I'd rather have too many starters than not, but he's probably in line for a Dockett sized contract.
Marshal Yanda - Plays both T/G, has a lot of starting experience. Nothing sexy, just lunch pail.

Johnathan Joseph - Another would-be starter and I'm not killing the chances of anyone on the Cards roster, but he's very good.
Reggie Kelly - The Cards wanted him in FA a few years ago for his blocking skills. But he is older.

Matt Roth - a bright player w/ the Dolphins shown the door for contract complaint. Had a solid year so far.
Lawrence Vickers
Eric Wright

Cullen Jenkins - another starter, but would fit very well in the Cardinal 3-4 D from a disruption standpoint.

Kasey Studdard - bad fit for the Kubiak zone/cut scheme, but measurables are a match for what Whis and Co look for.

Ben Leber - close to done, but is a solid rotational LBer, played extensively in the 3-4 and 4-3, great SAM for a while.

Chase Blackburn - on the outs with a re-surging Giants, could be a solid rotational/ST player.

Kellen Clemens - a QB caught in a series of transitions. Looked ugly behind a mediocre line but still has a lot of positive potential.
David Harris

Matt Spaeth - has stable skills, can't beat out Heath (who's more athletically gifted).

Stephen Cooper
Brandon Siler
Billy Volek - Up and down as a starter, could bring stability to a team in flux. If smart, won't leave SD.

Alex Smith - wait wait wait. Don't kill me on this. Alex Smith has looked good at times.
Those times? Spread/shotgun offense, which Whis is still clearly in love with as a featured package.
The Niners want to build around Gore and the power game. The Cards want to pass to get the lead, and let Beanie keep it.

Kelly Jennings

Davin Joseph - could get cut coming off IR, is effective and could push for a starting spot.

It's a really great list you've got there. I've never seen this many quality players not locked up by December in my lifetime.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on the offensive line -- I have just figured that the team needs to face reality and move Levi Brown inside to guard and find a left tackle.

Gaither? He is really the only option other than a draft choice.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
on the offensive line -- I have just figured that the team needs to face reality and move Levi Brown inside to guard and find a left tackle.

Word on the street is Gaither was dangled because he really didn't want to move to RT.
But since then he's re-committed himself to the Ravens.
Could be talk, but heck I think he'd be dynamite if obtainable.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a really great list you've got there. I've never seen this many quality players not locked up by December in my lifetime.
I really do think the potential lockout is probably keeping teams from being more active.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Hey If the owners use replacement players next year, We could win the west, just saying!

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alan Faneca
Ben Graham
Deuce Lutui

Chris Carr

Lawrence Vickers
Eric Wright

David Harris

Stephen Cooper
Brandon Siler

Kelly Jennings

Here are some more to add to your list.

OT/OG

Donald Penn LT - TB
Jermon Bushrod LT - NO

Carl Nicks LG - NO
Daryn Colledge LG - GB
Justin Blalock LG - ATL

Harvey Dahl RG - Atl

Ryan O'Callaghan RT - KC
Tyson Clabo RT - Atl
Jeremy Trueblood RT - TB

Nick Namgold OC - NYJ
Ryan Kalil OC - CAR
Jason Spitz OC - GB

3/4 OLB

Chris Gocong - Clev
Mathias Kiwanuka - NYG

CB

RIchard Marshall - CAR
Fabian Washington - Bal
Drayton Florence - Buff

ILB

D'Qwell Jackson - Clev
Paul Poluszny - Buff
Gary Guyton - NE

TE

Owen Daniels - Tex
Antonio Gates - SD
Tony Scheffer - Det
Vernon Davis - SF

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here are some more to add to your list.

OT/OG

Donald Penn LT - TB -- signed a six-year extention

Jermon Bushrod LT - NO

Carl Nicks LG - NO -- a restricted FA in 2011

Daryn Colledge LG - GB -- not a bad choice here at all and has a minor chance to end up a depth casualty.

Justin Blalock LG - ATL -- already on it

Harvey Dahl RG - Atl -- brings a mean streak, but is aging.

Ryan O'Callaghan RT - KC -- he and Richardson can't decide who wants the job less. Rotational benching. May make for good depth.

Tyson Clabo RT - Atl -- another good guy, but will be 30 next season.

Jeremy Trueblood RT - TB -- awful pass blocker.

Nick Namgold OC - NYJ -- Nick Mangold is already locked up, see above.
Ryan Kalil OC - CAR -- already on the list.
Jason Spitz OC - GB -- I don't know if he'd be better then Sendlein.

3/4 OLB

Chris Gocong - Clev

Mathias Kiwanuka - NYG -- could be had cheaply coming off a neck injury and could be worth a look as a situational rusher.

CB

Richard Marshall - CAR -- could be a salary casualty, interesting guy

Fabian Washington - Bal -- don't know that he'd be an upgrade at this point.

Drayton Florence - Buf -- if he makes it to FA will command overpayment in a weak market. He's got a good blend of size and speed, but may start to decline. Hard to get a gauge on his playmaking ability he was a very promising nickle with SD, but has played on teams w/ no pass rush in the last 3 years... I suppose he'd fill in nicely here in that case.

ILB

D'Qwell Jackson - Clev -- could be a terrific inside thumper, but another guy coming off of injury.

Paul Poluszny - Buff -- undersized means long-term health concerns and the Cards believe they have their WILB of the future in Washington. Do they really want two guys who are more likely to get caught up in the wash?

Gary Guyton - NE -- Resigned through 2012 and could be another rotating star in the Pats LB corp.

TE

Owen Daniels - Tex -- Both Daniels and Scheffler are Kubiak/Shannanhan TEs and can be effective zone blockers and receivers. I don't know how the current staff feels about TEs in the passing game. At this point on the two-TE sets I think they should just declare an extra tackle eligible and be done with it. It feels like I see both these guys on the injury report a lot.

Antonio Gates - SD
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=611
Signed six year deal in the offseason.

Vernon Davis - SF
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3638
Also signed a six year deal.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Isn't strength supposed to be the #1 asset on an OG? Levi Brown is quicker than he is strong, I have my doubts he'd make a good OG. He is nowhere near the player Leonard Davis is (who was a better OT than Brown has been) and I doubt he will make the transition as smoothly.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Isn't strength supposed to be the #1 asset on an OG? Levi Brown is quicker than he is strong, I have my doubts he'd make a good OG. He is nowhere near the player Leonard Davis is (who was a better OT than Brown has been) and I doubt he will make the transition as smoothly.
Depends on scheme. A one-cut zone like the Shann/Kub/Gibbs systems want faster lineman with quick feet at all positions, strength would be a secondary characteristic (with the understanding that a lineman still needs to be one of the strongest men on the team, but it's a sliding scale).
As long as they are able to control a defensive lineman to a degree it's not a big deal.

In the Card scheme they want one of the G's to be a little quicker then strong, they love to use them to pull.

In this case the theory is sliding Brown to LG. I don't know if it would work, but he'd never be on an island in a footrace w/ a DE, so it could work out better. Strength has never been as much of Brown's problem as sliding backward at a high rate of speed.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
In this case the theory is sliding Brown to LG. I don't know if it would work, but he'd never be on an island in a footrace w/ a DE, so it could work out better. Strength has never been as much of Brown's problem as sliding backward at a high rate of speed.

Isn't he normally "sliding backward at a high rate of speed" because he doesn't have the strength to hold his ground? That is what I see, he gets hardly any push and I have seen guys he outweighs by 30+ LBs push right through his blocks. I think he'd be an even bigger disaster at OG.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Isn't he normally "sliding backward at a high rate of speed" because he doesn't have the strength to hold his ground? That is what I see, he gets hardly any push and I have seen guys he outweighs by 30+ LBs push right through his blocks. I think he'd be an even bigger disaster at OG.
I think he's got functional strength, it's hard to gauge as there aren't a lot of DEs who specialize in the bull rush, when they do it' usually part of a setup they've chained together through out the game.
I really do think his footwork and his focus on getting outside are getting in his head and we're seeing a lot of things fall off because of it.

-or- he could be getting blown up and doesn't have the stones to play G.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson