2011 NBA Draft- Day of Thread

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
The Suns were stunned Kwahii Leonard was on the board and, supposedly they had him higher than Morris, but Blanks chose to go big anyway.

That tells me all I need to know about our new front office.

And the Spurs trading up for Leonard should tell you all you need to know about him.

Screw Babby & Blanks. A bunch of unprepared ****s.

Reaction score
The Suns were stunned Kwahii Leonard was on the board and, supposedly they had him higher than Morris, but Blanks chose to go big anyway.

Of course. Why rely on hours and hours of rational film study and decision making? Just get all excited when the pick comes around and yell a name out!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That tells me all I need to know about our new front office.

And the Spurs trading up for Leonard should tell you all you need to know about him.

Screw Babby & Blanks. A bunch of unprepared ****s.

Inexcusable. This is their job.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So the Spurs solved their PG logjam by trading away George Hill (26th pick in 2008 and expected to go in the second-round) and got back Kawhi Leonard (15th overall and expected to be top 10) plus two more players drafted in the second round.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It just gets worse and worse with these clowns. Early in the draft, I was actually going to make a joke about some player falling to them but the Suns already having made a commitment to Markieff because they didn't think a player would drop. Ugh.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really believe Markieff will be Kurt Thomas esque. That's who I'd compare him too... from what i remember in 95 Draft, Kurt Thomas wasn't great athletically but he turned out OK. He was the leading scorer (I think) in College but became a solid defender that could shoot, rebound, etc.

yeah, but I wasn't really comparing them athletically. I don't have any measurements to prove it, but it sure looks like Kurt Thomas has really long arms. I mean his post defense consists mostly of maintaining good defensive position and sticking those long arms straight up in the air. He doesn't jump. He can't really jump. He was just really long.

With the 13th pick in THIS draft I guess I should be happy if Morris is a guy who can come off the bench, play solid defense, grab some boards and/or put a body on somebody, and knock down some open jump shots. If you expect a starting caliber player at #13 in the first round you should probably be disappointed.

Joe

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and they've officially become the Cardinals! "stunned" a guy they had higher was on the board and went for the low ceiling banger. sweet.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I'll be happy if he can do anything positive. If its another Earl Clark....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kwahii Leonard? Some of you must see something I don't. Projected to be a good defensive player but is limited offensively. Don't we have a couple good defensive SF?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Kwahii Leonard is pointless here IMO. We have what 18 SF's?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

according to Paul Coro they were not surprised and "certainly did not need a small forward". spin?

Joe

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
G. Hill
Pietrus
Childress
Dudley

and Leonard? WTH.. why would they even waste their energy on that pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
G. Hill
Pietrus
Childress
Dudley

Maybe bc Leonard is projected to be much better than those guys. Hill has a year left in the tank. Pietrus sucks. Childress sucks. Duds is a role player. When your team doesn't make the playoffs and it's best players are ancient, it's time to look to the future . . . In other words get talent irrespective of position.

I hope all you markieff defenders are going to enjoy watching the PF version of robin Lopez. Marcus had to constantly goad him to become better?!? That's the dude we draft? And just bc he's a banger doesn't mean he's a good defender. I didn't read THAT in ANY of the 20 scouting reports/mocks that I read. Remember they said that about roll too. I hate this FO.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
according to Paul Coro they were not surprised and "certainly did not need a small forward". spin?

It certainly allows for a lot of interpretation.

Blanks/Babby made it an objective to get bigger and become better on defense this off-season. It was a stated objective. It's why I kept posting negative comments in the Jimmer thread -- because speculating on the Suns drafting him was pointless. All of their scouting was geared towards being tougher, particularly on the defensive boards. There's definitely a commitment to lower the number of opponent FGA per game.

So I can see where they'd pass on the BPA with that perspective. I think most of us who've followed the drafts for years agree drafting based on need is the best recipe for failure ....

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Honestly people are making too much of the 13th pick. If he sucks so be it, the 13th pick usually sucks anyway. What are you guys expecting?

Let him surprise us. If not, Earl barron could use some company in the D-League. End of story. After all the big names went, biyombo, fredette, yada yada.... it had to be him..

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
How hard can it be to buy a late first rounder or early second round pick and take a flyer on someone with lottery potential like Tyler or Selby when your team has no young talent whatsoever........ of course the Golden State Warriors simply bought Jeremy Tyler from the Bobcats.

This team once again failed. Next step buying out Vince Carter just to make some guy like best case Aaron Afflalo the next bad contract Childress/Warrick style.

This team us going to be horrible and still old next season.

Last edited:

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score

This is disappointing if true. I figured he dropped due to something teams had learned (character, injury, something). Once the Spurs traded for him, I wondered if the Suns had checked him out thoroughly enough before deciding to pass.

We'll see down the road how he pans out.

Could be a case of need, though. Spurs need a SF, Suns need a PF and SG. I agree with Matt about the principle of not drafting for need, but this was a role player draft. In that environment with fairly level talent across multiple positions, I'm more inclined to draft for need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
G. Hill
Pietrus
Childress
Dudley

Because drafting for need is stupid, just take the best players and figure it out later. In this draft if you get a guy who's in the league contributing 5 years from now you're probably happy.

Thats moronic. You shouldn't draft for need, especially not at that position in this draft, there were very few talented players in this draft, you should just follow your board, thats why its there.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Thats moronic. You shouldn't draft for need, especially not at that position in this draft, there were very few talented players in this draft, you should just follow your board, thats why its there.

Fair enough. I'm torn in this case (talent vs need). It would really come down to how they rated them. Shame they didn't work out Leonard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how do you define horrible? What kind of results would that require?

not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get an impact lotto pick... in other words... exactly what we saw this season.

that... to me... as a Suns fan is HORRIBLE. There's a reason a phrase "No man's land" exists... it's because no one wants to be there and that's where we'll be for the near future.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Yep, basketball Purgatory. It would be FAR better to win 15 games and get the #1 rather than constantly choosing among the picked over remains of the lottery. The former gives hope. The latter gives mediocrity.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh good grief. I was having a fit before the draft. But once all the players I had interest in were off the board, this pick is no big deal. How were we going to develop Leanard. Even if he develops in SA, he wouldn't have here.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope all you markieff defenders are going to enjoy watching the PF version of robin Lopez.

He might not turn into anything but Robin Lopez?? Dude would have to try very hard to turn into that.

And just bc he's a banger doesn't mean he's a good defender. I didn't read THAT in ANY of the 20 scouting reports/mocks that I read. Remember they said that about roll too. I hate this FO.

Yes they did. Posted several examples on the other thread. Your right though in saying it doesn't always translate into the NBA game.