2011 Diamondbacks Thread

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This phils pitching staff is unreal. Hamels is their #4? lol wow.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I can't understand how Young is back to being our leadoff hitter.

With his .216 batting average and Johnson's .183 batting second, is that really who a team wants hitting ahead of the heart of its batting order? Even if the D'backs heart is in need of a transplant.

Young's two homeruns today drove in a total of three runs. Might it have been more if he had been in the middle of the batting order, as Gibson said he was going to use him at the beginning of the season?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saunders is horrible. I would love to see them try and trade him.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Backs beat the Rockies 4-3 -- J.J. Putz is now 7-for-7 in save opportunities this season.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D-Backs beat the Rockies 4-3 -- J.J. Putz is now 7-for-7 in save opportunities this season.

I like the Hernandez/Putz setup. Who would of thought Henry Blanco would have a big hit tonight? I loved how Grace said Upton should be taking on the 3-0 pitch. Thankfully Gibson is an agressive coach.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I loved how Grace said Upton should be taking on the 3-0 pitch. Thankfully Gibson is an agressive coach.
And, hopefully, Grace is not considered manager material. At least not with the D'backs.

I hope that Brenly is given another managerial chance. Not for him, but then maybe the Cubbies and Grace will continue burying the hatchet and he will move back there to do color commentary.

Grace and Sutton (the 2 Fox crewcuts) together with a microphone have the mentality of a 14 year old -- together. That's 7 years apiece.

Grace uses a high pitched voice and phony enthusiasm to read a commercial, then Sutton says, "Good read."

It isn't about Grace reading the commercial, Daron. Or you evaluating him on the air. It's about showing respect for the sponsor's message. Y'know, the people paying the bill?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Nice boot in the corner. I don't think JUp's ever gonna be winning any Gold Gloves out there.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Nice boot in the corner. I don't think JUp's ever gonna be winning any Gold Gloves out there.
It's frustrating that he is one in a string of Major League players who have all the potential but find ways to flake out.

Drift back. Stop. Lunge and miss it. Was he afraid of getting too close to the wall or just not able to catch a fly ball?

Then, having to get a fourth out, Enright gave up a 2-run homer. He has to learn to bear down, too.

Upton gave Enright an atta-boy in the dugout . . . but didn't get one back.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
WHY WAS MIRANDA STEALING!!!!!!

Miranda walks, he's 2-0 to Parra and he's stealing?!?!

Why can't they play like a big league team?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
WHY WAS MIRANDA STEALING!!!!!!

Miranda walks, he's 2-0 to Parra and he's stealing?!?!

Why can't they play like a big league team?
He probably mis-read the take sign as a steal sign. 'Sloppy.

I can't understand why Young is back to hitting leadoff. He is hitting infield popups at 2 1/2 times the Major League rate. Anyone would be better in the get-on-base spot than Young.

I like Gibson's aggressiveness, but he doesn't seem to know how to put together a functional batting order.

For most of the game tonight, the only two D'backs hits were HR's -- one by the pitcher.

Why are we back to playing all-or-nothing baseball? It just doesn't work in the National League.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He probably mis-read the take sign as a steal sign. 'Sloppy.

I can't understand why Young is back to hitting leadoff. He is hitting infield popups at 2 1/2 times the Major League rate. Anyone would be better in the get-on-base spot than Young.

I like Gibson's aggressiveness, but he doesn't seem to know how to put together a functional batting order.

For most of the game tonight, the only two D'backs hits were HR's -- one by the pitcher.

Why are we back to playing all-or-nothing baseball? It just doesn't work in the National League.

As much as I appreciate his defense and his HR production, at the end of the day he remains more of a liability than a asset... He simply hurts this team more than he helps. He whiffs far too often. He pops up far too often. His batting average remains far too low. Based upon all of that, he'd have to hit 40 HR's a year and drive in 110 runs to properly compensate for his K's and outrageous pop-up ratio....

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
LETS GO DBACKS!!!!

Just scored 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th to tie it up and force extra innings in the finale against Colorado.

10th inning coming up.

PS that 3rd strike call against Upton was freaking TERRIBLE

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Upton wins it with a high pop up to right field. Chris Young came up huge tonight. Not only his tying homer in the 9th but that 400 ft double off the center firld wall. Hopefully they can carry this momentum into this weekend.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Upton wins it with a high pop up to right field. Chris Young came up huge tonight. Not only his tying homer in the 9th but that 400 ft double off the center firld wall. Hopefully they can carry this momentum into this weekend.

I'm starting to think CY reads my posts! Every time I slam the guy, he comes out and produces the next day... Incredible! He is maddening!!!!!

GREAT W for the team last night... so many positives. Kennedy didn't have his great stuff working, yet, he showed such tremendous heart and kept the team in position all night to make the comeback.
The pen was just about perfect last night.
CY of course had a great game - because I slammed him the day before! :D

Last season, this team would've folded lin a game like this. Gibby has truly created an entirely different culture. These guys are gritty and are finally showing some spirit! Great to see!

:thumbup:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I just don't like seeing the "live by the fly ball, die by the fly ball" approach returning to the D'backs. It works once in awhile, like last night, with the two solo HR's in the 9th to tie.

But overall, it produces a sub-.500 record, despite our leading the league in HR's, too many of which have been solo shots.

When the team had tried to play American League baseball in the past -- swing for the seats all game long -- it led to a lot of strikeouts, a lot of popups and a lot of losses.

i think it is a desperate reaction to the mediocrity of our starting pitchers. Manufacturing runs would be a better approach. That was the goal at the beginning of the season. It's why we traded Mark Reynolds.

We also need to move Young back to the middle of the order, where his team leading HR's would produce more RBI's.

I also wonder how long it will take Kelly Johnson to return to form. He has had the benefit of batting ahead of the heart of the batting order.

It is time for Gibby to choose a set lineup and stick with it. Or two set lineups -- the predominant one against righty starters and a platoon alternative against lefty starters.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I just don't like seeing the "live by the fly ball, die by the fly ball" approach returning to the D'backs. It works once in awhile, like last night, with the two solo HR's in the 9th to tie.

But overall, it produces a sub-.500 record, despite our leading the league in HR's, too many of which have been solo shots.

When the team had tried to play American League baseball in the past -- swing for the seats all game long -- it led to a lot of strikeouts, a lot of popups and a lot of losses.

i think it is a desperate reaction to the mediocrity of our starting pitchers. Manufacturing runs would be a better approach. That was the goal at the beginning of the season. It's why we traded Mark Reynolds.

We also need to move Young back to the middle of the order, where his team leading HR's would produce more RBI's.

I also wonder how long it will take Kelly Johnson to return to form. He has had the benefit of batting ahead of the heart of the batting order.

It is time for Gibby to choose a set lineup and stick with it. Or two set lineups -- the predominant one against righty starters and a platoon alternative against lefty starters.

I agree... however, this team has long been and remain virtually void of any true high on-base % players... We do hit the ball in the air far too often. But, I would love to see what that stat would look like if you took CY out of the mix. Upton is a problem there as well, but, at least he's able to hit for a higher average.
But the problem remains that this team just doesn't have enough consistent contact hitters - particular in the leadoff slot. It's hard to imagine why Gibby would keep putting a guy who either whiffs or pops up, or hits the occasional HR as the lead-off hitter... Heck, Montero would be a better option!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
But the problem remains that this team just doesn't have enough consistent contact hitters - particular in the leadoff slot. It's hard to imagine why Gibby would keep putting a guy who either whiffs or pops up, or hits the occasional HR as the lead-off hitter... Heck, Montero would be a better option!
Willie Booomquist is the man to do it. As I have posted before, Bloomquist in LF batting leadoff is far more valuable to us than Parra in LF batting eighth.

But now that Willie is close to returning from an injury, I don't expect Gibson to make that a permanent-until-shown-otherwise move.

Because just as Bob Brenly (post-World Series years) with his 135 different batting orders (that's a fact) and his protege Bob Melvin, most of his position players come to the park not knowing if they are in the starting lineup, what position they are playing or where they are batting.

Gibby can put a spin on it to the Press by saying that he wants each of his players ready.

But he announced in Spring Training that he would have a regular starting lineup by opening day. I don't mind that he needed some extra time to accomplish it. But it just hasn't happened.

The performances of Bloomquist and Roberts earned them (no, earned the team) more than "sub" status, even if he found a place for them often.

Kirk Gibson showed the toughness that we needed as Skipper following Melvin and Hinch.

But the man I backed was Chip Hale who was not only tough, but led his team to the top Minor League record, despite the constant promotion of his Baby Backs to the D'backs. That was an accomplishment!

But we bypassed him as Manager and let him get away. Why? Because he made a few mistakes as a 3B coach. He sure didn't make mistakes as a Manager.

It is disappointing that Kirk Gibson, despite his strong demeanor, is just as wishy-washy as Bob Melvin and A.J. Hinch before him.

Let's hire Chip Hale back from the Mets. Then you'll see the D'backs overachieving, rather than mired in a sub-.500 mentality like the Suns.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Willie Booomquist is the man to do it. As I have posted before, Bloomquist in LF batting leadoff is far more valuable to us than Parra in LF batting eighth.

But now that Willie is close to returning from an injury, I don't expect Gibson to make that a permanent-until-shown-otherwise move.

Because just as Bob Brenly (post-World Series years) with his 135 different batting orders (that's a fact) and his protege Bob Melvin, most of his position players come to the park not knowing if they are in the starting lineup, what position they are playing or where they are batting.

Gibby can put a spin on it to the Press by saying that he wants each of his players ready.

But he announced in Spring Training that he would have a regular starting lineup by opening day. I don't mind that he needed some extra time to accomplish it. But it just hasn't happened.

The performances of Bloomquist and Roberts earned them (no, earned the team) more than "sub" status, even if he found a place for them often.

Kirk Gibson showed the toughness that we needed as Skipper following Melvin and Hinch.

But the man I backed was Chip Hale who was not only tough, but led his team to the top Minor League record, despite the constant promotion of his Baby Backs to the D'backs. That was an accomplishment!

But we bypassed him as Manager and let him get away. Why? Because he made a few mistakes as a 3B coach. He sure didn't make mistakes as a Manager.

It is disappointing that Kirk Gibson, despite his strong demeanor, is just as wishy-washy as Bob Melvin and A.J. Hinch before him.

Let's hire Chip Hale back from the Mets. Then you'll see the D'backs overachieving, rather than mired in a sub-.500 mentality like the Suns.

To be fair - has Bloomquist ever been a steady, every day player in his career? And particularly now that he's just coming off injury, I think it's fair for Gibby to be in "wait & see" mode with Willie. And it can't be denied that the team as a whole is simply void of a true, pure, high on-base %, solid contact hitting leadoff talent...
And it does no good to keep harping on Melvin and Brenly and Hinch and Hale... they're all gone. We got what we got.
All that said, I still don't see any case for CY being in the leadoff slot. None. Like I said, Miggy is actually a better option than CY.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
To be fair - has Bloomquist ever been a steady, every day player in his career? And particularly now that he's just coming off injury, I think it's fair for Gibby to be in "wait & see" mode with Willie. And it can't be denied that the team as a whole is simply void of a true, pure, high on-base %, solid contact hitting leadoff talent...
And it does no good to keep harping on Melvin and Brenly and Hinch and Hale... they're all gone. We got what we got.
All that said, I still don't see any case for CY being in the leadoff slot. None. Like I said, Miggy is actually a better option than CY.

Do the Dbacks even have a good leadoff prospect in their system?

It seems like teams don't put a priority on this like they used to.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do the Dbacks even have a good leadoff prospect in their system?

It seems like teams don't put a priority on this like they used to.

I think AJ Pollock or Chris Owings would probably do well but they are at least a couple of years away.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
6-0. Another solid show by the Snakes tonight. Huddy brought it and timely hits were plenty. Getting a good vibe from these guys.