2008-2009 Season Thread

Kablansky

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Went to the game tonight, a huge group of Sharks fans were seated behind us and screamed the entire game that Olli Jokinen looks like burn victim, among other things.

I can't believe how classless people have become

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Went to the game tonight, a huge group of Sharks fans were seated behind us and screamed the entire game that Olli Jokinen looks like burn victim, among other things.

I can't believe how classless people have become

That's too bad. I went to the game on Saturday night and saw the Coyotes beat the Panthers. I watched the game last night in HD on TV.

Nice to see two wins in a row and a record above .500.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a 1/2 season ticket holder and I've been to four home games already (and four wins) this year and really enjoying this season. I found the following quote from Gretzky after last night's game to be interesting. He has high expectations.

""The intriguing part is we know we're going to be better a week from now, two months from now, three months from now, because this team is just going to continuously get better and better," Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky said. "It's really fun to be around. We've won a lot of different ways this year.""

Althought I feel like the franchise is pinning the future on Turris, I have really been impressed with Boedker (and his numbers don't hide it). If I had to rank the rookies this season, I would go with:

1. Boedker
2. Tikhanov
3. Porter
4. Turris

Add in Mueller, Hanzal, Winnik, and Caricllo and 1/2 this team is in it's first or second year.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Three game winning streak for the Coyotes. 8-6 record, 9th place.

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The Minnesota game was a stinker, they can't win up there and Backstrom simply owns this team. Penalties did them in and Carcillo wasn't even playing. The penalty killing, which had been pretty good this season, was atrocious Thursday. The power play has gone back to being non-existent (2 for last 28) and it didn't help that Minnesota has the NHL's best penalty killing unit. Minnesota defended perfectly all night, it was a very frustrating outing.
The Coyotes need to take it to the Stars and Blackhawks at home and stay above .500 before heading east for four games in six nights next week.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I'm a 1/2 season ticket holder and I've been to four home games already (and four wins) this year and really enjoying this season. I found the following quote from Gretzky after last night's game to be interesting. He has high expectations.

Althought I feel like the franchise is pinning the future on Turris, I have really been impressed with Boedker (and his numbers don't hide it). If I had to rank the rookies this season, I would go with:

1. Boedker
2. Tikhanov
3. Porter
4. Turris

Add in Mueller, Hanzal, Winnik, and Caricllo and 1/2 this team is in it's first or second year.

His name is Bødker BTW

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yotes win tonight 3-2 in Columbus to end their winless streak at 6 and their 4 game road trip. They were really outworked throughout most of the game, but nicely killed a 5 on 3 PP (two VERY suspect calls), and then Tikhonov scores the game-winner on a nifty move in tight with a few minutes left. Tellqvist was in goal and had a pretty good game. The first goal was a decent opportunity and he had no chance on the second.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Yotes win tonight 3-2 in Columbus to end their winless streak at 6 and their 4 game road trip. They were really outworked throughout most of the game, but nicely killed a 5 on 3 PP (two VERY suspect calls), and then Tikhonov scores the game-winner on a nifty move in tight with a few minutes left. Tellqvist was in goal and had a pretty good game. The first goal was a decent opportunity and he had no chance on the second.

Finally and end to the last 6 game skid, although two of those games were OT losses. The good news is that the Coyotes were fairly close in all of those games, but can't seem to find the back of the net. At least we have four in a row at home.

The last two seasons the Coyotes have managed to rally and get to .500 in January only to lose steam. Let's hope they can get back to .500 and better prior to the new year.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nice win last night over the visiting Maple Leafs. Hanzal with the HT, Reinprecht with 2, Fedoruk with 1 goal. 6-3 final. Not sure why Gretzky pulled Telly in favor of Bryz for the 3rd period, but perhaps it was because the tying Maple Leafs goal in the 2nd period was pretty weak. Gretzky was pissed with that. Actually, all three Maple Leaf goals were fairly weak.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is a Canadian paper the only one beating this story? Sour grapes? Hopeful thinking?
Basically, yeah. All is not well in Coyoteland, but the Canadian media has had an unhealthy obsession with Phoenix's failure for most of the last decade, this is just the latest example. If the Coyotes truly were teetering on the brink of extinction, then there would be a handful of teams in pretty brutal shape right with them.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good win for the Yotes last night - 3-1 over the Wild. They have had problems with the Wild in the past, and while Gaborik was not playing, it was still a quality win over #7 in the West. Goals by Michalek, Jokinen, and Lindstrom for the Yotes. Bryz played well. Too many penalties taken, but great PK throughout the night.

Other than San Jose and Detroit, the west is awfully tight 3 - 15.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coyotes were winning 4-3 but Detroit scores on a poer play with 19 seconds left in the 3rd period to tie the game. The Coyotes had two shots in the last minute to score but missed the empty goal twice. Let's see if they can win it in overtime.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No scoring in overtime but Detroit did hit the left post. They head to a shootout.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coyotes lose in the shootout. Even though they got one point, they should of won this game. Hopefully this does not have a negative effect on the upcoming games.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coyotes lose another tough one, 2-1 in overtime at Dallas. The Stars were definitely the more aggressive team in overtime and kept the puck in the Coyotes end most of the time. At least they got a point on the road.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright! Jovo finally makes it to the top of a list! :pullhair:

The Hockey News top ten: Overpaid NHLers.

1. Ed Jovanovski, Defense, Phoenix – $6.5 million
Two goals and 15 points through 31 games is not horrendous for a blueliner. But Jovo-Cop has lost his status as the desert’s best defenseman to Zbynek Michalek, who makes $5.25-million less. Jovanovski’s team-worst minus-12 rating is tied for 746th in the league, out of 759 players.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
NOW is the time for this team to make a move. SEVEN upcoming games against marginal teams before the end of December. Coyotes are sitting in 9th place, one place out of 8th due to number of wins. Step it up and win 5 of 7!!

Upcoming Games:

vs. Predators
vs. Blue Jackets
at Oilers
at Avalance
at Kings
vs. Kings
vs. Avalance

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members