2006 World Cup

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
N Ireland are not very good but its football and always a worth a look!

though it might be best to see what strength teams they are putting out before getting tickets!

Djaughe

Reaction score
English on tour said:
...really looking foward to it and the banter the somes with it - i would like it if we get you guys in the group stages just for a bit a banter on here if nothing else :thumbup:

I agree. :)

English on tour

Reaction score
Stout said:
English, what do you think of England's squad? Do you think it hurts your chances of advancing?

not too bad on paper - i dont think!!

we have a very strong first 11 but once you get passed that we are in the Shipp a bit!

as a starting 11 Robinson , A cole, G Neville, Rio (or Sol), Terry, J cole, Gerrard, Becks, lampard, Rooner, Owen is capable of winning the damn thing.

trouble is 3 of those (including front two) may not start!

swap cole for Bridge , owen for Crouch, the rooner for walcott and maybe one midfielder out for downing or Hargreaves it takes a whole new look for the worse.

if fit we do well if not who knows??

what i would say is - that Owen went to france as a 18 year old with little internaional game time and came back a star so Lennon or Wallcott could do the same (they both have bags of pace and good touch so you never know)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, and I went back to glance at your group...unless you really choke, even if your guys aren't fit, you should still make it to the knockout stages, but it might be with a 2 seeding.

English on tour

Reaction score
Stout said:
Yeah, and I went back to glance at your group...unless you really choke, even if your guys aren't fit, you should still make it to the knockout stages, but it might be with a 2 seeding.

thats what hes banking on i think

gettign through and having the top men a couple of weeks fitter!

Stout

Reaction score
English on tour said:
thats what hes banking on i think

gettign through and having the top men a couple of weeks fitter!

You just got a boost with Owen playing in a training match, so that's a positive (and helps my mind as well). Good thing you no longer have to root for Shearer on the national team ;)

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im freaking getting stocked. FIFA has the US ranked as #4 now. Is that even close to legit or did we pay for that ranking?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Im freaking getting stocked. FIFA has the US ranked as #4 now. Is that even close to legit or did we pay for that ranking?

We're vastly improved, but in now way, shape or form are we top five in the world.
Those rankings don't take into account the quality of opponent you play. We could beat Trinidad and Tobago 12 times and it pretty much counts like beating Italy 12 times. We're good because we don't play any quality opponents (and therefore win).

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are 0-5 against the teams in our group with most of the losses being a thrashing. That worries me a bit even though we are much improved.

BTW was Adu even looked at for our team?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
We are 0-5 against the teams in our group with most of the losses being a thrashing. That worries me a bit even though we are much improved.

BTW was Adu even looked at for our team?

Adu wasn't even close to being ready...2010 will be his chance to shine.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Roster Change

CHICAGO (May 25, 2006) — Gregg Berhalter, a veteran of the USA’s 2002 FIFA World Cup roster, has been added to the USA’s 23-man roster for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, replacing defender Cory Gibbs who was diagnosed with a right knee injury on Thursday. Berhalter will join the U.S. in Cleveland on Friday in advance of the team’s match with Venezuela (tickets) at Cleveland Browns Stadium at 7 p.m. ET live on ESPN2.

Berhalter has 44 caps across a career that spans 13 years with the U.S. Men’s National Team. Known for his strong play in the air, the 32-year-old is a highly competitive central defender with excellent man-marking abilities. He is perhaps best known for a goal-bound shot off the hand off defender Torsten Frings in the USA’s 1-0 loss to Germany in the quarterfinals of the 2002 World Cup. The non-call is among the most infamous in FIFA World Cup history.

At the club level, Berhalter recently helped Energie Cottbus of the second division in Germany earn promotion to the Bundesliga for the 2006-07 season. He has served as captain for Cottbus for the last two years. His professional career in Europe dates back to 1994 and includes stints with a number of different clubs in Holland, England and Germany.

“Naturally we are very sorry for Cory,” said U.S. Manager Bruce Arena. “We know he was looking forward to playing in his first World Cup. I believe strongly in him as a player. We are going to miss him. In Gregg, we are fortunate to have a player of his experience ready to step in to his second World Cup. I’m confident that Gregg will be able to contribute immediately to our team.”

Gibbs has two caps under his belt in 2006, both at left back. On Tuesday night he played 90 minutes in the USA’s 1-0 loss to Morocco in Nashville, Tenn., injuring the knee at an unspecified point during the match. The 26-year-old from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., has played professional in Europe for most of his career and recently signed with Charlton Athletic of the English Premier League. He spent the 2004 season in Major League Soccer with FC Dallas. Gibbs has 19 caps in a career that began in 2003 for the USA.

The U.S. will continue their final preparations for the 2006 FIFA World Cup on Friday, May 26, when they take on Venezuela at Cleveland Browns Stadium (presented by Sierra Mist) at 7 p.m. ET, live on ESPN2 and delayed on Telemundo. Fans can also follow the action live on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker.

After the match in Cleveland, the U.S. will head to East Hartford, Conn., for their final tune-up against Latvia (tickets) at Rentschler Field (presented by Hyundai) on Sunday, May 28, at 7 p.m. ET (live on ESPN2, delayed on Telemundo). At the game, Nike will distribute 30,000 red “Don't Tread on Me” rally towels bearing the snake and ball mark. All fans attending the game are encouraged to wear red to celebrate the U.S. Soccer team's final game in the U.S. before leaving for Germany on June 1.

The USA was drawn into Group E for the 2006 FIFA World Cup along with the Czech Republic, Ghana, and Italy. The U.S. plays their opening match against the Czechs on June 12 in Gelsenkirchen before meeting Italy on June 17 in Kaiserslautern and then finishing off group play against Ghana on June 22 in Nuremberg. The U.S. has chosen the northern port city of Hamburg as their base of operations throughout the tournament.

GREGG BERHALTER - Full Bio
Position: Defender
Height: 6-1
Weight: 175
Born: August 1, 1973, in Englewood, New Jersey
Hometown: Tenalfy, New Jersey
College: University of North Carolina
Club: Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga)

BERHALTER’S CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
• Alongside Oguchi Onyewu, helped shutdown forward Jared Borgetti to help U.S. defeat Mexico 2-0 at Columbus Crew Stadium on Sept. 3, 2005, clinching their fifth straight World Cup berth
• Reached the pinnacle of his career with the MNT by starting in central defense in the USA’s knockout matches against Mexico and Germany in the 2002 World Cup
• His goal-bound shot stopped by the hand of German defender Torsten Frings in the quarterfinals will go down as one of the most infamous non-calls in World Cup history
• Professional career in Europe has had stops in Holland, England and Germany, where he now serves as captain of Energie Cottbus after concluding his fifth season with the club

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Any predictions as to the starting roster? I really hate that Ralston didn't make the squad.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Up first Czech Republic.

I can't wait to see what lineup Arena runs out there and hope that injury keeps Koller out of the match.

Stout

Reaction score
Zeno said:
Up first Czech Republic.

I can't wait to see what lineup Arena runs out there and hope that injury keeps Koller out of the match.

Czech Republic is in dire straits on the injury front, as reported tonight. HUGE striker Koller has a hammy strain but is expected to play. Smicer is a big doubt, though, as is Galasek, and missing either one of them, let alone both, would be huge.

Italy is also facing difficulty. Totti may not be back to form or health following his broken bone (foot, I believe). Scandal has also rocked Italian football, with calls for Lippi to resign and players such as Buffon implicated.

Are the stars lining up just right for us?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stout said:
Czech Republic is in dire straits on the injury front, as reported tonight. HUGE striker Koller has a hammy strain but is expected to play. Smicer is a big doubt, though, as is Galasek, and missing either one of them, let alone both, would be huge.

Italy is also facing difficulty. Totti may not be back to form or health following his broken bone (foot, I believe). Scandal has also rocked Italian football, with calls for Lippi to resign and players such as Buffon implicated.

Are the stars lining up just right for us?

Not sure I want us to walk through decimated teams only to get killed by a germany or brazil 20-0 on worldwide tv.

I have a feeling we finish 2nd or 3rd in our group. 4th is not out of the question Ghana is the top african team.

I wouldnt mind 2nd and then having the biggest upset in soccer history by beating brazil (not!)

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
I have a feeling we finish 2nd or 3rd in our group. 4th is not out of the question Ghana is the top african team.

Ghana destroyed Jamaica 4 - 1 the other day--from the highlights they were close to scoring 2 or 3 other goals, they look to be in top form. I think we'll match up better with them because their star power is in the attack and not on defense or in goal.

Stout

Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Not sure I want us to walk through decimated teams only to get killed by a germany or brazil 20-0 on worldwide tv.

I wouldnt mind 2nd and then having the biggest upset in soccer history by beating brazil (not!)

Well, I want us to advance one way or another. If it has to be through decimated teams, so be it. Besides, the Czechs would still have Nedved and Cech...no cups of tea!

Yeah, even if we advance, we face a tough road. Unless we finish 1st (which would be a miracle) we'll likely have to face Brazil. Ugh.

And Ghana could possibly beat us out for third, but my money is against it.

Reaction score
Pubs, Sports Bars.

I am new to Phoenix and am looking for places where I can watch the World Cup. Could someone please direct me to some pubs, bars etc where I can catch the matches at least on the weekends. Thanks a lot!!

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nowwhydoihavethishandle said:
I am new to Phoenix and am looking for places where I can watch the World Cup. Could someone please direct me to some pubs, bars etc where I can catch the matches at least on the weekends. Thanks a lot!!

Sure. turn on ESPN. All the games are on there.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I don't live in Phoenix anymore but there was a bar on Central Ave called "George & Dragons" run by a couple of British brothers who used to show EPL games, I assume they will show WC games too--if they are still there.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Dude, I don't know about Phoenix, but I just bought my tickets to go to Germany and watch it there on a big screen that floats on the river...

It is going to be so freakin' fun...

God I love EasyJet. It only cost me 38 pounds to get there!!!

:D

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SouthNZoneFan said:
Dude, I don't know about Phoenix, but I just bought my tickets to go to Germany and watch it there on a big screen that floats on the river...

It is going to be so freakin' fun...

God I love EasyJet. It only cost me 38 pounds to get there!!!

:D

Didnt Germany ban you hooligans?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Any of these pubs should be showing the games:

Fibber Magees
Chandler

Molly Brannigan's
1744 South Val Vista Drive, Suite 101
Mesa
480-507-7827

R.T. O'Sullivan's
Mesa

Fox and Hound
Phoenix

A League of Our Own