2006 MLB Draft

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
There are always players who slip and hidden gems that are found in the later rounds. However, it will probably be a few years after the draft until we realize what we found.

Do you think a guy like Hughes will be available at our supplemental pick? I would like to get a hold of Hochevar (Third Round), he is a headcase but he does have some tools.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
Do you think a guy like Hughes will be available at our supplemental pick? I would like to get a hold of Hochevar (Third Round), he is a headcase but he does have some tools.

I dont see us going after Hochevar in any round. We have spent a lot of money the last 1st round picks and we will have to do the same with Hochevar. Drew is a Boras client and he somehow dropped to us in the middle of the 1st round (he was listed by several baseball publications as the best player in the draft) and we had to pay him top of the 1st round money. While I would love to get Hochevar (especially in the 2-4 rounds), I don't see our FO wanting to deal with Boras again on a top-5 player who slipped because of money demands.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I dont see us going after Hochevar in any round. We have spent a lot of money the last 1st round picks and we will have to do the same with Hochevar. Drew is a Boras client and he somehow dropped to us in the middle of the 1st round (he was listed by several baseball publications as the best player in the draft) and we had to pay him top of the 1st round money. While I would love to get Hochevar (especially in the 2-4 rounds), I don't see our FO wanting to deal with Boras again on a top-5 player who slipped because of money demands.

Yeah but after a year of getting nowhere w/ negotiations and his stock sure to plummet I think his demands can't be as high, I say our FO should give him a call in round 3 and tell him we'll take him if we can get a deal done that day on our terms or move on.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Kennedy Has Already Earned Spot Among USC Elite
By Ben Bolch
January 20, 2006

LOS ANGELES--With one season left to pitch at Southern California, Ian Kennedy has already taken his place among Trojan greats inside the school's hall of fame at Dedeaux Field.

He can stroll through the displays listing USC's Cy Young Award winners and numerous other honorees and see pictures of Mark Prior, Randy Johnson, Barry Zito . . . and Ian Kennedy.

That's what happens when you're a consensus All-American who has already pitched for Team USA in back-to-back summers and earned Pacific-10 Conference pitcher of the year honors as a sophomore.

"Some guys give me a hard time, that it's going to jinx me," Kennedy said of his hall of fame picture. "I think it's just a real honor and awesome to be up there already."

USC coach Mike Gillespie jokingly told his ace righthander that the picture is coming down if he doesn't make it to the big leagues, but there seems to be little chance that the 6-foot, 195-pound junior will be anything other than a first-round selection in the 2006 draft.

"You're talking about a guy that's going to be on everybody's radar," one veteran major league scout said. "He can throw three or four pitches for strikes. He won't beat himself."

Fine Company

Kennedy already has posted some staggering numbers in his college career. His 158 strikeouts last season place him fourth on the Trojans' single-season list, behind just Prior (who recorded a Pac-10 record 202 strikeouts in 2001), Seth Etherton (182 in 1998) and Walt Peterson (172 in 1963). And his 12.15 strikeouts per nine innings ratio was the fifth-best in school history.

"To be compared to Mark Prior and Seth Etherton . . . just to be among those guys is a great honor to me," Kennedy said. "I think it's an honor just to pitch for USC and be a No. 1 guy."

Said Gillespie: "I certainly see him as one of those guys, and to a certain level he's already demonstrated that."

While marveling at Kennedy's command (he issued 38 walks in 117 innings last season) and ability to throw a fastball past a hitter in fastball counts, Gillespie said the pitcher's best attribute is his competitiveness.

"He never shrinks from a moment no matter who it is and where it is in a game," Gillespie said. "He's not a guy who gets timid and questions himself. He really hates to lose."

Road Warrior

Kennedy said he has been a cutthroat competitor since childhood, hating to lose so much as a game of cards. Maybe that's why last year, as a sophomore, Kennedy was able to defeat four frontline pitchers--Arizona's John Meloan, Cal State Fullerton's Ricky Romero, Long Beach State's Cesar Ramos and Washington's Tim Lincecum--all on the road.

"I love pitching those games because I'm the underdog and I'm supposed to lose, but I don't want to lose," Kennedy said.

Kennedy, whose best pitch is a fastball he commands in the low 90s, said he has honed command of his curveball, changeup and slider, giving him the option to trust any pitch in any count. That will make the Trojans especially dangerous as they attempt to make their first College World Series appearance since 2001. More importantly, the Trojans expect to earn their first back-to-back regional bids since 2001-2002 and re-establish the program as a national power.

"The fastball in the past has been the pitch to go to," Kennedy said. "I feel I can throw it on the black part of the plate at your knees and you can't hit it even though you know it's coming.

"But I have confidence in every one of my pitches, and if a situation calls for a changeup, I'll throw a changeup."

Kennedy already might have thrown several prospective suitors a changeup by picking agent Scott Boras as his advisor, but the 21-year-old said that if his soon-to-be agent or his shorter physical stature scare off major league teams, so be it.

"If they don't want to draft me, that's fine, they're going to miss out," said Kennedy, a 14th-round choice of the Cardinals in 2003 out of La Quinta High, where he teamed with Rockies prospect Ian Stewart. "I'm not really worried about that. I don't think it really matters because I'm a winner."

He has the picture to prove it.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/060120kennedy.html

To answer previous questions, I highly doubt that Hughes will fall out of the top 30. However, it is always possible that a player can have a bad year and fall to us because of that (ala Sergio Santos and Q because of his need for TJ surgery after the CWS).

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I think that we need some LHP in this next draft. So, the following are some of them that we should be open to:
College (rankings are for top 100 college players):
#1 - LHP Andrew Miller
#28 - LHP Wade LeBlanc (6-3, jr, Alabama)
#36 - LHP David Huff (6-3, jr, UCLA) [I will try to see him pitch if UCLA comes to Tucson]
#39 - LHP Keith Weiser (6-2, jr, Miami (OH))
#41 - LHP Nate Boman (5-11, jr, San Diego)
#53 - LHP John Gaub (6-2, jr, Minnesota)
#60 - LHP Ben Snyder (6-2, So, Ball State)

High School:
#3 - LHP Brett Anderson (6-4, Stillwater, commitment: Oklahoma State)
#12 - LHP Kasey Kiker (5-11, Russell County, South Alabama)
#27 - LHP/OF Aaron Miller (6-3, Channelview, Baylor)
#29 - LHP Clayton Kershaw (6-4, Highland Park, Texas A&M)
#31 - LHP Kevin Chapman (6-3, Westminster Academy, Florida)
#34 - LHP Brandon Belt (6-5, Hudson, Texas)
#36 - LHP Matthew Petition (6-0, Garden City, North Carolina)
#47 - LHP Bryan Morgado (6-1, Florida Christian, Tennassee)
#48 - LHP Andy Oliver (6-3, Vermillion, N/A)
#50 - LHP Taylor Hammack (6-3, Angleton, N/A)

This draft is rich with pitchers, especially college pitchers. 13 of the top 20 college players are pitchers.

Jared Hughes is rated as the #15 college player, so I doubt he will fall to our second pick. If you guys like Jared because of his stature then do not worry because there are other good players who are built like him. For example, RHP Greg Reynolds (#16, 6-8, jr, Stanford) and RHP Doug Fister (#58, 6-8, sr, Fresno State) who was drafted by the Yankees in the 6th round last year, but he is a project. There is also High School RHPs Dellin Betances (#5, 6-8, Grand Street, N/A) and Chris Tillman (#7, 6-7, Fountain Valley, Cal State Fullerton). There are also a number of pitchers between 6-3 and 6-5 in both college and high school.

UCLA has two good pitchers in LHP David Huff and RHP Brant Rustich (6-6, jr) both of whom I wish to see if they come to Tucson.

Someone I would like to pick up in the later rounds would be #75 rated prospect RHP Jeff Manship (6-1, jr, Notre Dame). Some D'Back fans might remember him because we drafted him in the final round (50th) in 2003. However, he decided to go to college over signing. He was one of the better HS prospects when we drafted him and had one of the best curveballs in the '03 draft. I would like to see us pick him up later in the draft.

In response to the previously posted mock draft, I would not mind taking #4 rated college player Daniel Bard. He seems like somewhat of a project, but he does possess the stuff to be a good pitcher in a MLB rotation.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I think that we need some LHP in this next draft. So, the following are some of them that we should be open to:
College (rankings are for top 100 college players):
#1 - LHP Andrew Miller
#28 - LHP Wade LeBlanc (6-3, jr, Alabama)
#36 - LHP David Huff (6-3, jr, UCLA) [I will try to see him pitch if UCLA comes to Tucson]
#39 - LHP Keith Weiser (6-2, jr, Miami (OH))
#41 - LHP Nate Boman (5-11, jr, San Diego)
#53 - LHP John Gaub (6-2, jr, Minnesota)
#60 - LHP Ben Snyder (6-2, So, Ball State)

High School:
#3 - LHP Brett Anderson (6-4, Stillwater, commitment: Oklahoma State)
#12 - LHP Kasey Kiker (5-11, Russell County, South Alabama)
#27 - LHP/OF Aaron Miller (6-3, Channelview, Baylor)
#29 - LHP Clayton Kershaw (6-4, Highland Park, Texas A&M)
#31 - LHP Kevin Chapman (6-3, Westminster Academy, Florida)
#34 - LHP Brandon Belt (6-5, Hudson, Texas)
#36 - LHP Matthew Petition (6-0, Garden City, North Carolina)
#47 - LHP Bryan Morgado (6-1, Florida Christian, Tennassee)
#48 - LHP Andy Oliver (6-3, Vermillion, N/A)
#50 - LHP Taylor Hammack (6-3, Angleton, N/A)

This draft is rich with pitchers, especially college pitchers. 13 of the top 20 college players are pitchers.

Jared Hughes is rated as the #15 college player, so I doubt he will fall to our second pick. If you guys like Jared because of his stature then do not worry because there are other good players who are built like him. For example, RHP Greg Reynolds (#16, 6-8, jr, Stanford) and RHP Doug Fister (#58, 6-8, sr, Fresno State) who was drafted by the Yankees in the 6th round last year, but he is a project. There is also High School RHPs Dellin Betances (#5, 6-8, Grand Street, N/A) and Chris Tillman (#7, 6-7, Fountain Valley, Cal State Fullerton). There are also a number of pitchers between 6-3 and 6-5 in both college and high school.

UCLA has two good pitchers in LHP David Huff and RHP Brant Rustich (6-6, jr) both of whom I wish to see if they come to Tucson.

Someone I would like to pick up in the later rounds would be #75 rated prospect RHP Jeff Manship (6-1, jr, Notre Dame). Some D'Back fans might remember him because we drafted him in the final round (50th) in 2003. However, he decided to go to college over signing. He was one of the better HS prospects when we drafted him and had one of the best curveballs in the '03 draft. I would like to see us pick him up later in the draft.

In response to the previously posted mock draft, I would not mind taking #4 rated college player Daniel Bard. He seems like somewhat of a project, but he does possess the stuff to be a good pitcher in a MLB rotation.

What about the ND WR that is a highly touted P, not sure what side but I hear he is a potential 1st rounder if he comes out.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
What about the ND WR that is a highly touted P, not sure what side but I hear he is a potential 1st rounder if he comes out.

I think you are talking about Jeff Samardzija. He is a 6-5 Junior who has not had a bad college career:
13-4, 3.47 era in two seasons. He is rated as the 94th on the list of college players, so I do not think he is 1st round talent (unless he has a great year). He is more like a 3rd or 4th round talent.

Here is an article on both Jeff Manship and Jeff Samardzija. Manship is the pitcher I would love to get in the 4th or 5th round. He was listed as the 13th overall pick (includes college and high school) in baseballamerica's mock draft for 2003, but fell because of bonus demands, strong college commitment, and injury status.

Last edited:
OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I think you are talking about Jeff Samardzija. He is a 6-5 Junior who has not had a bad college career:
13-4, 3.47 era in two seasons. He is rated as the 94th on the list of college players, so I do not think he is 1st round talent (unless he has a great year). He is more like a 3rd or 4th round talent.

Here is an article on both Jeff Manship and Jeff Samardzija. Manship is the pitcher I would love to get in the 4th or 5th round. He was listed as the 13th overall pick (includes college and high school) in baseballamerica's mock draft for 2003, but fell because of bonus demands, strong college commitment, and injury status.

I read somewhere that he might not come out this year because he has another season of eligibility on the football team, but he is considered equally good in both sports. Is he a LHP? Heard his fastball tops out like at 95 MPH.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I read somewhere that he might not come out this year because he has another season of eligibility on the football team, but he is considered equally good in both sports. Is he a LHP? Heard his fastball tops out like at 95 MPH.

Naw, he is a RHP. Also, Baseball is not like football or basketball where a player needs to 'come out.' He is entered in the draft regardless of whether he wants to be or not. However, he can choose not to sign and return to college. Baseball players are automatically entered in the draft but do not lose draft eligibility. It is possible for him to entertain offers by who he is drafted by, but if he does not want to sign he can return to college and play football.

That is another thing that can make his stock fall. Teams shy away from players who star in two sports. This is because they will probably have to pay alot of money for the that person to sign and they have more leverage than a typical one-sport player.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Naw, he is a RHP. Also, Baseball is not like football or basketball where a player needs to 'come out.' He is entered in the draft regardless of whether he wants to be or not. However, he can choose not to sign and return to college. Baseball players are automatically entered in the draft but do not lose draft eligibility. It is possible for him to entertain offers by who he is drafted by, but if he does not want to sign he can return to college and play football.

That is another thing that can make his stock fall. Teams shy away from players who star in two sports. This is because they will probably have to pay alot of money for the that person to sign and they have more leverage than a typical one-sport player.

I see your point with Borchard and Hutchinson, two Stanford products go figure, and Drew Hensen getting big signing bonuses to leave football.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Jr. RHP Ian Kennedy took his second loss of the year Friday (7 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K).

He hasn't been pitching at his potential this year. Maybe he will slide to us, but with the stuff he has I doubt it. However, if he continues pitching like this he may fall to our supp. pick.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I haven't been following the season so far how are guys like Miller, Bard and Buck doing?

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I haven't been following the season so far how are guys like Miller, Bard and Buck doing?

Miller is lights out this year. Bard is doing a lot better than he has in the past. From what I hear he has improved much and his stats are really starting to impress me.

Miller: 2-0, 13 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 0 R, 2 BB, 20Ks, 0.00 ERA
Bard: 1-0, 13 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 4 R, 1 BB, 14 Ks, 2.77 ERA

On the other hand, Buck has been a little too wild for my tastes: 2-0, 18 IP, 2.50 ERA, 10 BB, 20 Ks

Here are some other top pitchers and their stats so far this year (the rankings are based upon the top 100 college players).

#3 RHP Max Scherzer, Missouri
2-0, 13 IP, 1.38 ERA, 7 H, 4 BB, 14 Ks

Maybe Ian Kennedy wasn't doing as poorly as I thought he was.
#5 RHP Ian Kennedy, Southern California
2-2, 28.2 IP, 1.88 ERA, 16 H, 8 BB, 35 Ks

#9 RHP Brandon Morrow, California
2-0, 17.1 IP, 1.04 ERA, 9 H, 9 BB, 22 Ks

#11 RHP Kyle McCulloch, Texas
1-2, 22 IP, 2.86 ERA, 17 H, 10 BB, 18 Ks

#12 RHP Joba Chamberlain, Nebraska
1-1, 14 IP, 1.93 ERA, 8 H, 5 BB, 17 Ks

#13 RHP Brad Lincoln, Houston
2-1, 24.1 IP, 2.22 ERA, 19 H, 6 BB, 35 Ks
*also batting .340 with 3 HR, 18 RBI in 50 ABs*

#14 RHP Mark Melancon, Arizona
2-1, 18.1 IP, 2.45 ERA, 1 SV, 12 H, 3 BB, 22 Ks
*Since I go to UofA, I get to watch this guy a lot. He is supposed to be the #1 relief pitcher in the draft and a team might jump on him early (ala Boston with Hansen last year) because he can jump to the bigs quickly. His stats are bloated too because Lopez (desperate for a decent starter moved him from closer to friday night pitcher. He didn't fare so well in that game, but other than that he has been lights out when he was moved back into the relief roll*

#15 RHP Jared Hughes, Long Beach State
3-0, 24.2 IP, 3.65 ERA, 22 H, 9 BB, 14 Ks
*his strikeout to walk ratio is not as good as it should be for a 6-7 pitcher with his stuff, but it is early in the season*

#16 RHP Greg Reynolds, Stanford
1-1, 26.1 IP, 2.38 ERA, 26 H, 2 BB, 29 Ks
*he is 6-8 and to have that type of control is something pretty special*

Last edited:
OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Miller is lights out this year. Bard is doing a lot better than he has in the past. From what I hear he has improved much and his stats are really starting to impress me.

Miller: 2-0, 13 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 0 R, 2 BB, 20Ks, 0.00 ERA
Bard: 1-0, 13 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 4 R, 1 BB, 14 Ks, 2.77 ERA

On the other hand, Buck has been a little too wild for my tastes: 2-0, 18 IP, 2.50 ERA, 10 BB, 20 Ks

Here are some other top pitchers and their stats so far this year (the rankings are based upon the top 100 college players).

#3 RHP Max Scherzer, Missouri
2-0, 13 IP, 1.38 ERA, 7 H, 4 BB, 14 Ks

Maybe Ian Kennedy wasn't doing as poorly as I thought he was.
#5 RHP Ian Kennedy, Southern California
2-2, 28.2 IP, 1.88 ERA, 16 H, 8 BB, 35 Ks

#9 RHP Brandon Morrow, California
2-0, 17.1 IP, 1.04 ERA, 9 H, 9 BB, 22 Ks

#11 RHP Kyle McCulloch, Texas
1-2, 22 IP, 2.86 ERA, 17 H, 10 BB, 18 Ks

#12 RHP Joba Chamberlain, Nebraska
1-1, 14 IP, 1.93 ERA, 8 H, 5 BB, 17 Ks

#13 RHP Brad Lincoln, Houston
2-1, 24.1 IP, 2.22 ERA, 19 H, 6 BB, 35 Ks
*also batting .340 with 3 HR, 18 RBI in 50 ABs*

#14 RHP Mark Melancon, Arizona
2-1, 18.1 IP, 2.45 ERA, 1 SV, 12 H, 3 BB, 22 Ks
*Since I go to UofA, I get to watch this guy a lot. He is supposed to be the #1 relief pitcher in the draft and a team might jump on him early (ala Boston with Hansen last year) because he can jump to the bigs quickly. His stats are bloated too because Lopez (desperate for a decent starter moved him from closer to friday night pitcher. He didn't fare so well in that game, but other than that he has been lights out when he was moved back into the relief roll*

#15 RHP Jared Hughes, Long Beach State
3-0, 24.2 IP, 3.65 ERA, 22 H, 9 BB, 14 Ks
*his strikeout to walk ratio is not as good as it should be for a 6-7 pitcher with his stuff, but it is early in the season*

#16 RHP Greg Reynolds, Stanford
1-1, 26.1 IP, 2.38 ERA, 26 H, 2 BB, 29 Ks
*he is 6-8 and to have that type of control is something pretty special*

There was talk that before the Houston, Arizona State series that Lincoln could be the top pick in the draft. Then he got shelled by ASU's offense.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
We've confirmed that Boras is advising eight prospects for the 2006 draft, all college players. In order of how they ranked on our initial College Top 100 Prospects (www.baseballamerica.com) list, they are: Missouri righthander Max Scherzer (No. 3), Southern California righty Ian Kennedy (No. 5), Florida first baseman Matt LaPorta (No. 7), Arizona shortstop Jason Donald (No. 17), Arizona State outfielder Colin Curtis (No. 19), Cal Poly righty Gary Daley (No. 24), Tulane first baseman Mark Hamilton (No. 33) and Mississippi third baseman Chris Coghlan (No. 38.).

So maybe a couple of these good pitchers will fall to us in the first and later rounds. On the other hand, I can see us setting back from dealing with Boras again. The team has spent a lot of money in the past two drafts and might want to find more of bargin players. This is purely speculation on my part, but then again many teams thought that we would go cheap after taking Upton last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Today David Huff pitches against UofA, so I am going to go watch. Hopefully something doesn't come up between now and 6 PM.

And just for you overseascardsfan, an article on that ND pitcher

Interesting article, thanks. I feel the ND kid will pick baseball just like Drew Hensen did a few years ago. Also read an article on Fox Sports about the UNC trio of being compared to the Rice "aces" that got drafted two years ago. I feel that pitching should be our focus this year and that we should stay away from Boras clients but Upton's record deal was negotiated by Harold Reynold's brother. We still might have to pay big bucks for our first pick which is either #11 or 12.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
David Huff pitched an interesting game last night. I was impressed by his 6'2'' frame and solid pitching mechanics. He also had good command of his fastball and breaking ball. However, he was too hittable during the first inning and seemed to be missing 3-4 MPH in the 1st.

All in all he has potential and I think if he is still on the board around the 3rd or 4th round then we should definately grab him.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Anybody know what day the draft is? I know there was talk about moving it back a couple weeks, but I think that got put off again.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Anybody know what day the draft is? I know there was talk about moving it back a couple weeks, but I think that got put off again.

It is in June

AZZenny

Reaction score
I know that -- but usually it's like the first Monday in June, but there had been talk of delaying until after the College World Series, so move to late June. I always listen to it online, but I'm going to be overseas the first two weeks of June this year.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA's Top 20

1. Andrew Miller, lhp, North Carolina
Would have been a first-rounder out of high school had he been signable
2. Brandon Morrow, rhp, California
Starting to harness his upper-90s heat and flashing good secondary stuff
3. Tim Lincecum, rhp, Washington
Has blown away college hitters since last summer in Cape Cod
4. Brad Lincoln, rhp, Houston
Should be even more effective on the mound once he gives up hitting
5. Evan Longoria, 3b, Long Beach State
The best position player available, but more of a solid guy than a superstar
6. Drew Stubbs, of, Texas
Scouts love his tools but still have questions about how he'll hit in the majors
7. Matt LaPorta, 1b, Florida
Turning on the power after being slowed by an oblique strain
8. Clayton Kershaw, lhp, Highland Park HS (Dallas)
Top high school prospect after entering year as projected second- or third-rounder
9. Joba Chamberlain, rhp, Nebraska
Regaining his form after early-season bout with triceps tendinitis
10. Kyle Drabek, rhp, The Woodlands (Texas) HS
Could be first prep middle infielder taken—if he weren't so talented on the mound
11. Max Scherzer, rhp, Missouri
Can't rank him higher until he bounces back from shoulder tendinitis
12. Ian Kennedy, rhp, Southern California
Has lost a little off an already average fastball, but he knows how to pitch
13. Kyle McCulloch, rhp, Texas
Like the Longhorns and Stubbs, getting it going after a slow start
14. Wes Hodges, 3b, Georgia Tech
One of only a handful of position players with a chance to go in the top half of the first round
15. Daniel Bard, rhp, North Carolina
Would move up if he showed a more consistent breaking ball and success
16. Chris Tillman, rhp, Fountain Valley (Calif.) HS
Classic high school projectable pitcher at 6-foot-7 and 185 pounds
17. Brett Sinkbeil, rhp, Missouri State
Doesn't get Scherzer's hype, but he has been the top pitcher in Missouri this spring
18. Chris Marrero, 3b, Monsignor Pace HS (Opa Locka, Fla.)
Best high school position player has impressive tools but hasn't performed up to expectations
19. Justin Masterson, rhp, San Diego State
The breakout player in the Cape Cod League summer starts for the Aztecs but projects as a reliever
20. Mark Melancon, rhp, Arizona
Might be the next college reliever to reach the majors a few months after signing

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/261098.html

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Yesterday, Greg Reynolds pitched against the wildcats in Tucson. He is listed as the #16 college player in the upcoming draft. While the Stanford website says he is 6'7'' (baseball america says 6'8'') he looked closer to 6'6''. He has good mechanics, pretty good control for someone with his size, and a good pitcher's frame. Right now, it appears he throws two types of pitches: fastball and change-up. His change-up is pretty filthy and caught a lot of UofA players off guard. While not his best game he did show the stuff that has made him a potential first rounder.

My biggest hope is that we can get him with our 1st supplementary pick.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Just a little blurb from baseballamerica's Draft Chat

Q: henry from phoenix asks:
What do you think the D-backs will do with the first pick? and with their other draft selections?

A: Jim Callis: The Diamondbacks lean heavily toward college players and I don't expect that to change, despite them taking Justin Upton No. 1 a year ago. They're also not afraid to take tough signs, either so a Scott Boras client could be a possibility. At No. 11, I suspect they'll take a college pitcher, the strength of this draft. Among the candidates will be Nebraska's Joba Chamberlain, Missouri's Max Scherzer and the Fort Worth Cats' Luke Hochevar. Two of those three will probably be available.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort