1st Current NFL Player Announces He's Gay

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t miss a damn thing. I just don’t care what his ****** preferences are. I don’t care what his religious beliefs are, I don’t care what color he is, I don’t care who he sleeps with. All I care is whether he‘s a decent human being & whether he can play football or not.
And that's the case for many of us, it's just not the case for society as a whole. And until it is, this will remain topical.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are asking why he needed to announce it:

if he wanted to live his true life and go out on dates, have a partner or husband, bring them along like other players bring their wives or girlfriends, people would talk they would ask who is this? rumors would fly

A simple Instagram post answers all those questions and allows him to live a normal life without having people speculating

Last edited:

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
he never had a press conference. He merely posted something on Instagram. But the fact that YOU needed to lie about what he did, distorting it into some big deal of your own making in order to make what he did seem worse says more about you, than him. You lambast him for “shoving his agenda down your throat” even though he did nothing of the sort. Your entire premise is being offended by something that NEVER even happened.

when you have to LIE about an innocuous action that doesn’t effect you at all to make that action look worse, that says more about you and your issues with the LGTBQ community than it does them “shoving their agenda down your throat.”

Instagram is one of the largest, if not the largest, social MEDIA companies in the world. The fact that you need to argue semantics rather than the facts, distorting it into some big LIE of your own making, in order to make what he did seem better says more about you than him.

I'm not the one with "issues" with the LGTBQ community--if you look at my posting history you'll see I post maybe once a month and then disappear. You, however, are in on every single issue, attempting to gatekeep others posting behavior.

There's no need to sound so hysterical and shrill over someone's opinion, nobody is lying. Nobody is even embellishing, I'm simply agreeing with someone else that it was political and you (and some of your "friends) went bonkers.

This entire thread can be summed up as:
1 or 2 people: this seems political
The hoarde: you're not allowed to believe that, and if you do you're a crap human being.

Give me a break. LOL

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I didn’t miss a damn thing. I just don’t care what his ****** preferences are. I don’t care what his religious beliefs are, I don’t care what color he is, I don’t care who he sleeps with. All I care is whether he‘s a decent human being & whether he can play football or not.
So, basically, if we had the internet when Jackie Robinson broke into the game, you wouldn't have wanted anyone to talk about that on a baseball forum. M'kay.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And that's the case for many of us, it's just not the case for society as a whole. And until it is, this will remain topical.
I disagree. A much larger % of Americans feel like we do. You’re never going to get 100% in a free society. Over time, you’ll get closer to it, and that’s a good thing.

Last edited:

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

if he wanted to live his true life and go out on dates, have a partner or husband, bring them along like other players bring their wives or girlfriends, people would talk they would ask who is this? rumors would fly

A simple Instagram post answers all those questions and allows him to live a normal life without having people speculating
I think we should all end on this note. I know we won't, but we should.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Posts were reported in this thread. Two users in specifics AzMan5103 and Cardsfanmd. I am removing all posts or responses to and from these users.

This request comes from site ownership.
Lol. Please show me what I said in here that was against forums rules. If that’s the case, ban me. I’ve been on this board for the better part of 15 years. It wouldn’t be the first time. Oh wait, nothing I said violated anything. Something I said doesn’t fit a mod’s preferences so it gets removed. Awesome. What’s the point of even having forum rules? Skkorp didn’t let crap like this go down when he saw it, let alone feed into/enact it. I thought nidan retired and was enjoying sail boating to the UK?

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Please show me what I said in here that was against forums rules. If that’s the case, ban me. I’ve been on this board for the better part of 15 years. It wouldn’t be the first time. Oh wait, nothing I said violated anything. Something I said doesn’t fit a mod’s preferences so it gets removed. Awesome. What’s the point of even having forum rules? Skkorp didn’t let crap like this go down when he saw it, let alone feed into/enact it. I thought nidan retired and was enjoying sail boating to the UK?

Again your posts were reported. I requested a review from other mods and the site owner said to ban you or remove your posts.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I know you feel I am biased. I believe you have called me a troll multiple times with zero repercussions. So anyway, any of your reported posts I take zero action on without a consensus

This time the only person that chimed in was the site owner.

I would never ban you or remove your posts without a peer review because of how you perceive me

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You have made a lot of posts in this thread for something you "don't care about". Just saying.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You have made a lot of posts in this thread for something you "don't care about". Just saying.
Well, yeah Chopper but that does not really fly with us football fans. You felt compelled to reply to him on his replies and none of us seem to want to left without the last word regardless of the topic when someone then calls you out lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But you care enough to keep posting in this thread about a topic you weirdly claim not to care about . . . interesting . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Not to mention, if he wanted to announce who cares what anyone else thinks? Announce away!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Instagram is one of the largest, if not the largest, social MEDIA companies in the world. The fact that you need to argue semantics rather than the facts, distorting it into some big LIE of your own making, in order to make what he did seem better says more about you than him.

I'm not the one with "issues" with the LGTBQ community--if you look at my posting history you'll see I post maybe once a month and then disappear. You, however, are in on every single issue, attempting to gatekeep others posting behavior.

There's no need to sound so hysterical and shrill over someone's opinion, nobody is lying. Nobody is even embellishing, I'm simply agreeing with someone else that it was political and you (and some of your "friends) went bonkers.

This entire thread can be summed up as:
1 or 2 people: this seems political
The hoarde: you're not allowed to believe that, and if you do you're a crap human being.

Give me a break. LOL
The fact that you believe what he did needs to be made to “seem better” speaks volumes dude. Maybe quit your angry rantings while you’re already behind.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I disagree. A much larger % of Americans feel like we do. You’re never going to get 100% in a free society. Over time, you’ll get closer to it, and that’s a good thing.
So your solution is they should remain the closet until you and the much larger % of Americans deem it okay for people like him? Wow. Hello 1950 . . . you’re missing PACardsFan. Please take back his archaic anger.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, yeah Chopper but that does not really fly with us football fans. You felt compelled to reply to him on his replies and none of us seem to want to left without the last word regardless of the topic when someone then calls you out lol
Truer words have never been typed on ASFN.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So your solution is they should remain the closet until you and the much larger % of Americans deem it okay for people like him? Wow. Hello 1950 . . . you’re missing PACardsFan. Please take back his archaic anger.
Including the "a much larger percentage of people feel x way" line... *italian kiss* I'd love to know exactly what he means by that.
If that’s the case, ban me.
What would the board do without your pithy commentary and deep insight?!?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
My point in why announce it is because it’s(being gay)not that big a deal in today’s society. If you don’t believe me watch TV for about 5 minutes. If this was 10-20 years ago, it would’ve been a much bigger deal.

Society is pretty strange. What if Aaron Rodgers came out and said he’s only going to date black/Asian/ or Latino women. Would that be newsworthy?

However, if Kyler Murray came out and said he’d only date white women, I could see it causing a stir.

My point is, why announce anything? Live your life how you want to live it. Why do you needs society’s approval?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Society is pretty strange. What if Aaron Rodgers came out and said he’s only going to date black/Asian/ or Latino women. Would that be newsworthy?
What a strange hypothetical, where do you come up with this stuff?

However, if Kyler Murray came out and said he’d only date white women, I could see it causing a stir.
Probably, because it's both stupid and racist, while being completely unimportant to share.

My point is, why announce anything?
You don't see any significance to an active roster player announcing they're gay? You can't concieve of any possible benefits from making the announcement, from giving comfort and strength to other gay athletes, to breaking down stereotypes?

Live your life how you want to live it.
He did - it makes some people big mad!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point in why announce it is because it’s(being gay)not that big a deal in today’s society. If you don’t believe me watch TV for about 5 minutes. If this was 10-20 years ago, it would’ve been a much bigger deal.

My point is, why announce anything? Live your life how you want to live it. Why do you needs society’s approval?

I've addressed that already, but here we go again.

When you are the first, it is a big deal, especially when you have 30% or more of society that looks down at you/thinks you are evil because you are attracted to the same-sex. And TV is not the real world, nor is it the macho world of football.

As to why he needed to post? To get it out there so he could live his life. If he showed up at a function with a male date, or a man started appearing in his instagram feed, or heaven forbid someone sees him at Charlies slow-dancing with another man, the rumor mills would fly and he'd have to address it anyways.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jesus. We need football to start up again badly. I personally don’t care who you choose to sleep with, no ones business but your own. Sad that this is a big thing is this day and age.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Even sadder that people are upset with him for it.

Yep.

I have a buddy I grew up who has a major character flaw.

He's gay, although that's not it.

He is a raiders fan, which was something I've struggled to associate my friendship with.

Which I can joke about, because people genuinely don't care about your football allegiance.

Although he couldn't get legally married at the same age I could, he is in a good marriage with a great guy. Again though, there were many who cared about his orientation enough to prevent him from getting a marriage license and the legal protections that come with it.

For his bachelor's party we all went out for an overnight trip to a nearby city - his brother had a visibly difficult time with it and left before the breakfast the next day, even though that was the part my buddy was looking forward to the most. Even my brother, who was close to his brother, couldn't convince him to hang out. They definitely have distanced since my buddy came out and started to live his life.

At his wedding good cousins refused to bring their kids and spent most of it at the bar at the venue.

These same cousins isolated him from the service for his aunt after she passed, despite my buddy being really close to her.

Not to mention the casual discrimination and harassment he faces going about his daily life - not a month goes by where he doesn't have to listen to people mouth off with slurs and ignorance

So if there is someone from his favorite NFL team stepping out of the closet to live their true life maybe in some small way it perks him up as well

Maybe have him be proud of his choice for the first time in a long time - you know, the choice of being a raiders fan.......

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose