1960's Horror Movie - what was the name of it?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
For some reason, the other day I remembered this movie I saw a few times when I was little. I thought the name of it was "Monkey on my Back" (but maybe that's what it seemed like to me). I could only find a movie about an ex-boxer who became addicted to morphine.

I don't recall much about it except for a scene where you can see an eye growing out of his shoulder. Eventually, that eye becomes a head and you see the character standing behind a tree and this 'other being' separates from his body.

Anyone know what movie I'm talking about? It's driving me nuts trying to find out the title!

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
It sounds like an old Outer Limits I remember seeing when I was a kid. Could that be it?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know the exact scene you're talking about, but I don't know the film.

I was 8 years old at my great-grandma's house when I saw it.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol...sounds more like Army of Darkness, but that's not that old.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's what I was thinking.

The Manster (1962) - An American reporter in Japan is sent to interview an eccentric Japanese scientist working on bizarre experiments in his mountain laboratory. When the doctor realizes that the hapless correspondent is the perfect subject for his next experiment, he drugs the unfortunate man and injects him with a serum that gradually transforms him into a hideous, two-headed monster.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol...sounds more like Army of Darkness, but that's not that old.

Sounds like it for a reason:

"The Manster" trivia...

Sam Raimi's "ARMY OF DARKNESS" pays homage to this film. When Ash has swallowed one of his little dopplegangers, he then grows an eye on his right shoulder, which results in him splitting into two beings; Good Ash and Evil Ash. In The Manster, the reporter is injected with a serum and later develops an eye, which grows into a head, resulting in him splitting into a good being and an evil one.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking.

The Manster (1962) - An American reporter in Japan is sent to interview an eccentric Japanese scientist working on bizarre experiments in his mountain laboratory. When the doctor realizes that the hapless correspondent is the perfect subject for his next experiment, he drugs the unfortunate man and injects him with a serum that gradually transforms him into a hideous, two-headed monster.

That's the one. Supremely well done.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I could be mega ********, but I swear this thread said "1950's" like 10 minutes ago

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it for a reason:

"The Manster" trivia...

Sam Raimi's "ARMY OF DARKNESS" pays homage to this film. When Ash has swallowed one of his little dopplegangers, he then grows an eye on his right shoulder, which results in him splitting into two beings; Good Ash and Evil Ash. In The Manster, the reporter is injected with a serum and later develops an eye, which grows into a head, resulting in him splitting into a good being and an evil one.
:thumbup: Glad this has been resolved!

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
OMG! OMG! That's it, that's it! :clapping: :clapping:

Thank goodness I'm not as old as I thought! Now I have to try to find it (as well as Army of Darkness!)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG! OMG! That's it, that's it! :clapping: :clapping:

Thank goodness I'm not as old as I thought! Now I have to try to find it (as well as Army of Darkness!)
Army of Darkness (if you haven't seen it) is supposed to be funny & campy and is just all-around awesome. It's the third movie in the Evil Dead trilogy, but the first two are more serious than Army of Darkness (iirc). I don't think you need to see the first two to enjoy Army of Darkness.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Army of Darkness (if you haven't seen it) is supposed to be funny & campy and is just all-around awesome. It's the third movie in the Evil Dead trilogy, but the first two are more serious than Army of Darkness (iirc). I don't think you need to see the first two to enjoy Army of Darkness.

Heathen.

Evil Dead II is one of the best movies ever made. It should be required viewing in high school.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heathen.

Evil Dead II is one of the best movies ever made. It should be required viewing in high school.
I should revise my statement...She absolutely should watch all 3, I was just saying she doesn't NEED to see I or II to enjoy AoD.