17.7 million left to spend....what do you hope the Cardinals do with the remaining monies?

Where do go with the rest of cap space

• Total voters

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Johnny venerable came up with another. Greedy Williams.

Only started 8 games last year despite playing in all. they have Ward and Newsome. they like martin Emerson they just drafted in the 3rd. They have safeties that can play Nickel too. They also have AJ Green.

Williams has been the odd man out there and after 2 season they could well look to recoup something and move on.
Williams has played well for the Browns. Would probably take a 3rd to get him, but I'd be happy with that trade.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
"Down the Stretch" is a sports idiom that means towards the end of the game or sports season. It originated from horse racing. Dave Johnson would famously call "AND down the STRETCH they come" in that last straightaway known as the home stretch. That last straightaway is approximately the last eighth of the track.

So I would say "down the stretch" for a football season would be the last 2-3 games of the season.

I was told there would be no math.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely agree. DHop injury was big.
There’s no doubt Hop’s injury was big. I think our play without him is what tempers my excitement most this season because we start the first six games in the same position we ended last year.

And I don’t like our chances to really contend if we dig ourselves an early season hole we have to climb out of.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There’s no doubt Hop’s injury was big. I think our play without him is what tempers my excitement most this season because we start the first six games in the same position we ended last year.

And I don’t like our chances to really contend if we dig ourselves an early season hole we have to climb out of.
What I would counter with is that Kliff seems to scheme better earlier in the year. He has all offseason to work some wrinkles into his off season that have seemed to get teams off balance early on.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Kyler's game right now is WAY TOO reliant on alert throws. You may know what the term means, but for others who don't, alert throws are when a QB sees that his top target is in man coverage with no help over the top and the QB will often audible and just throw to his guy and hope he beats the lone defender. Most of the season it worked really well, but when D Hop went down, it wasn't effective regularly. I'd guess that Hollywood might be a real good alternative early on since Kyler has such good chemistry with him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'd guess that Hollywood might be a real good alternative early on since Kyler has such good chemistry with him.
I'll be very curious to see what Hollywood can do, and how he fits in the context of the offense. It seems for a lot of reasons that Hollywood is a Kirk replacement, but I haven't seen enough of Hollywood to know. (or even if he'll play the same role here)

We might run into the same problem with Brown that we ended up with Kirk - a guy that wants to be paid as a top receiver who doesn't perform as one. Brown definitely doesn't seem like the kind of guy who deserves a top 10 WR contract, but after giving up a huge asset to acquire him the Cards might feel compelled to overpay.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'll be very curious to see what Hollywood can do, and how he fits in the context of the offense. It seems for a lot of reasons that Hollywood is a Kirk replacement, but I haven't seen enough of Hollywood to know. (or even if he'll play the same role here)

We might run into the same problem with Brown that we ended up with Kirk - a guy that wants to be paid as a top receiver who doesn't perform as one. Brown definitely doesn't seem like the kind of guy who deserves a top 10 WR contract, but after giving up a huge asset to acquire him the Cards might feel compelled to overpay.
I thought the trade was a good one considering Brown is a bit of a known commodity and there wasn't a good fit in the first round.

The Cardinals have two seasons to figure out whether Hollywood is worth a top contract.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I would counter with is that Kliff seems to scheme better earlier in the year. He has all offseason to work some wrinkles into his off season that have seemed to get teams off balance early on.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Kyler's game right now is WAY TOO reliant on alert throws. You may know what the term means, but for others who don't, alert throws are when a QB sees that his top target is in man coverage with no help over the top and the QB will often audible and just throw to his guy and hope he beats the lone defender. Most of the season it worked really well, but when D Hop went down, it wasn't effective regularly. I'd guess that Hollywood might be a real good alternative early on since Kyler has such good chemistry with him.
I hear you on the early season wrinkles and am hoping those overcompensate for not having our best weapon. But it also plays into my don’t dig a big hole fear because Kliff hasn’t shown the ability to adjust in the 2nd half of seasons when opposing defenses historically have against us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He relies too much on alerts.

If I'm a DC I'm giving him the alert look he wants pre snap then switching the coverage to take it away.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hear you on the early season wrinkles and am hoping those overcompensate for not having our best weapon. But it also plays into my don’t dig a big hole fear because Kliff hasn’t shown the ability to adjust in the 2nd half of seasons when opposing defenses historically have against us.
I think Brown can be better than Kirk. He's faster.

And I think we can expect an uptick from Moore, plus having Ertz, Williams, and McBride at TE should help.

Even without Hopkins, this offense should still be pretty good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Brown can be better than Kirk. He's faster.

And I think we can expect an uptick from Moore, plus having Ertz, Williams, and McBride at TE should help.

Even without Hopkins, this offense should still be pretty good.
I think at minimum they should be good. I just worry they won’t be good enough early in the season to cover for what I fear is going to be a straight up bad defense.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Johnny venerable came up with another. Greedy Williams.

Only started 8 games last year despite playing in all. they have Ward and Newsome. they like martin Emerson they just drafted in the 3rd. They have safeties that can play Nickel too. They also have AJ Green.

Williams has been the odd man out there and after 2 season they could well look to recoup something and move on.
This is the guy that I think the Cardinals are interested in. I have plenty of friends in OH & they were the first to bring the Cardinals interest of Greedy Williams to my attention. He would be a good pick up.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Not necessarily true. When Hop got hurt, we didn’t have Hollywood Brown, we didn’t have McBride, and we didn’t have Maxx Williams. And let’s not forget that Rondale was also injured during that stretch when we lost Hop.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily true. When Hop got hurt, we didn’t have Hollywood Brown, we didn’t have McBride, and we didn’t have Maxx Williams. And let’s not forget that Rondale was also injured during that stretch when we lost Hop.
We had Kirk who's an equivalent player. We don't have a clue if McBride can make any impact (most rookie TEs don't) and how long will we have Maxx Williams before he inevitably goes out with another season ending injury? Rondale taking a step forward would be great, but he too is super injury prone throughout his entire career in the pros and college.

again, I expect the offense to be baseline GOOD because we do have Kyler healthy first and foremost, but also because we have brown, conner, ertz green all healthy to start the season and hopefully Rondale doing more. I just don't know if "good" will be good enough to overcompensate for what I fear is going to be a really bad defense.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We had Kirk who's an equivalent player. We don't have a clue if McBride can make any impact (most rookie TEs don't) and how long will we have Maxx Williams before he inevitably goes out with another season ending injury? Rondale taking a step forward would be great, but he too is super injury prone throughout his entire career in the pros and college.

again, I expect the offense to be baseline GOOD because we do have Kyler healthy first and foremost, but also because we have brown, conner, ertz green all healthy to start the season and hopefully Rondale doing more. I just don't know if "good" will be good enough to overcompensate for what I fear is going to be a really bad defense.
Kirk is not even close to equivalent to Hollywood.. maybe on the stat sheet with Lamar throwing to him. I’d wager whatever you’d like that you are about to be very pleasantly surprised.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirk is not even close to equivalent to Hollywood.. maybe on the stat sheet with Lamar throwing to him. I’d wager whatever you’d like that you are about to be very pleasantly surprised.
i'd be more than happy to be pleasantly surprised! I was like a pig in slop last year during the 7-0 start.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t know about that. We didn’t have Murphy move all over the field tracking the top receiver.
You may be right but I thought I remembered in the beginning of the season at least, that his playing outside or in the slot was dependent on the other teams’ primary receiving option.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose