15 thoughts - Patriots game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – At least Zane Gonzalez didn’t kick it short.

2 – I think De’Vondre Campbell saw the game last week and thought to himself “oh, so Isaiah Simmons played that well? He is not going to take my spot! I will show him!” Great game by Campbell.

3 – Raise your hand if you thought the first play would go to Andy Isabella.

4 – It is impressive what they are doing with a depleted defensive line. Credit to Steve Keim, Vance Joseph and Brentson Buckner.

5 – I very, very rarely blame the refs for the outcome of a game. It is not illegal to play better. The Cards had many chances to play better and thus make a call on the last drive much less important. 99.9% of the time blaming a loss on the referees is – at best – a bad excuse.

6 – I have always felt that special teams were underrated among media and fans.

7 – Horrible game by Mason Cole.

8 – Very obvious that the Patriots took away the outsides of the box, limiting both Murray’s throws and runs to both sides. Blueprint for everyone else to stop Murray, and by that, the Cards´ offense?

9 – Hey! Only six penalties are tied with one other for the fewest in a single game, and not that much worse than league average!

10 – The Cards thoroughly outplayed the Patriots in the first half. That they let them hang around was what costed them the game. Not an isolated incident like a field goal or a penalty.

11 – Some weeks ago – around the trade deadline – many on here wanted the Cards to trade for Stephon Gilmore. I understand that now after seeing how well he did against Nuk Hopkins.

12 – According to Football Outsiders, the Cards have 58.8% chance of making the playoff.

13 – I like the strategy of signing pretty much any cornerback with a pulse and then see who are good enough to stick, and I think Johnathan Joseph might just get more playing time in the weeks to come.

14 – You don’t need a dominating offensive line to win. You just need a good quarterback and a slightly above average offensive line. Case in point: the 2020 Arizona Cardinals.

15 – Kyler Murray has really improved his accuracy from the start of the season.

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
If teams are gonna play the way the Patriots did, by taking away edges and eliminating Kyler runs, and basically not rushing upfield and defending the LOS, jumping to deflect throws on shallow crosses, then you have to adjust

I’m not sure the football savant KK has an answer

The medium deep middle was wide open all day, I dont think KK can or will adjust

His cute offense relies on plays outside the numbers

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It was simply this: A man vs a kid. It was unfair before the kickoff. Did anyone here think KK was going to out coach the genius.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If teams are gonna play the way the Patriots did, by taking away edges and eliminating Kyler runs, and basically not rushing upfield and defending the LOS, jumping to deflect throws on shallow crosses, then you have to adjust

I’m not sure the football savant KK has an answer

The medium deep middle was wide open all day, I dont think KK can or will adjust

His cute offense relies on plays outside the numbers

It's not like the Pats invented it. They did exactly what the Seahawks did the week before.

And I'm surprised it took teams this long to work it out considering it's been the same rather limited offense all season. You basically only have to defend us in a U shape. Watch the flat around the LOS, stop Kyler running, defend the sidelines. Did you notice how the Pat's CB's forced Kirk and Nuk to the sidelines so they didn't have space to make catches?

You don't have to defend the middle of the field at all. The only passes we general complete there are ones where nothing is immediately open and Kyler has to hold the ball long enough for the LOS to disintegrate and open up some lanes.

All Kliff had to do was call more plays with bootlegs but we can't, because we don't do anything under center. Even roll outs from shotgun would help just to open up the field some more.

But that would take some coaching.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is tough to take advantage of the middle of the field when your QB doesn't sit in the pocket to let those crossing routes develop. You can design all you want but when your QB can't or won't sit in the pocket to let plays develop, you can't push the ball down the field.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#8. Make 6 inches before halftime. And make the 45 yard kick and we score 27. Not really that hard. Just saying

That is certainly a valid point, Campos, but I was talking more about if it is was a blueprint for other teams in the future. The Patriots had less than 180 offensive yards, and Cam Newton hit on only half of his throws. Not every team is going to be that limited on offense, and then six inches and a field goal might not be enough.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
People always playing Kyler on the zone read means our RBs should be having an easier time getting yards.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's not like the Pats invented it. They did exactly what the Seahawks did the week before.

And I'm surprised it took teams this long to work it out considering it's been the same rather limited offense all season. You basically only have to defend us in a U shape. Watch the flat around the LOS, stop Kyler running, defend the sidelines. Did you notice how the Pat's CB's forced Kirk and Nuk to the sidelines so they didn't have space to make catches?

You don't have to defend the middle of the field at all. The only passes we general complete there are ones where nothing is immediately open and Kyler has to hold the ball long enough for the LOS to disintegrate and open up some lanes.

All Kliff had to do was call more plays with bootlegs but we can't, because we don't do anything under center. Even roll outs from shotgun would help just to open up the field some more.

But that would take some coaching.
When they start forcing you to the outside, that's when you start running slant patterns & leaking backs on wheel routes out into the flats. This will make safeties or LB's have to cover the flats more, leaving the seam open & a few deep shots. Depends entirely on which position covers the flats really as to where to attack next.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is certainly a valid point, Campos, but I was talking more about if it is was a blueprint for other teams in the future. The Patriots had less than 180 offensive yards, and Cam Newton hit on only half of his throws. Not every team is going to be that limited on offense, and then six inches and a field goal might not be enough.
True. But surprisingly our defense has played really well especially in 2nd halves. Seattle. Miami and Buffalo all
Struggled in the 2nd half against us

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose