15 thoughts - Lions game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – What a frustrating, frustrating game! Whether it was missed assignments, bad calls, penalties, interceptions. And to top it all off, the Lions ends the game with a long, time-consuming, methodical drive that rips out your will to live.

2 – I remember vividly how many people has been saying all offseason “yeah, sure Jordan Phillips was good last season, but after seeing the rest of his career, that was surely just a fluke.” Well, the crow-kitchen is open if anyone wants some.

3 – I am still okay with the trade for Nuk Hopkins. I can live with that.

4 – This is now the second week in a row where Kyler Murray has a horrible intentional grounding. For some reason he throws the ball out of bounds way before it crosses the first down marker. I mean… at least tell him the rules, Kliff.

5 – Corey Peters = stud.

6 – It is now more than three years ago that I thought to myself “why are Keim and Arians signing washed-up Adrian Peterson off the street?” Clip to 2020, and he is still playing pretty well.

7 – Getting 1 or 2 needed yards in short yardage situations is an art. It is not that easy as some people might think. The Cards ran the ball four times in such situation, and converted all of them. That is a huge positive on the offensive line (source: every offensive lineman in the history of mankind).

8 – Breakout game for Andy Isabella?

9 – Isaiah Simmons played 15 snaps (ten on defense), and that is worrisome, but now I am seeing some making it out to be a problem? Really!? That is an over-exaggeration times 50.

10 – What kind of haircut is that on Kyler Murray’s head? Come on, man!

11 – Vance Joseph is obviously great at scheming defensive lines, but how much of it is Brentson Buckner? Well, I am almost certain what the perception is among many Cards-fan, but I wish we could know the truth.

12 – The third down defense continued to shine. Red zone defense was very good as well.

13 – Did you see Haason Reddick’s closing speed on that sack?

14 – It strikes me as weird that J.R. Sweezy and Justin Pugh takes a little break sometimes. It happened last season as well that suddenly someone else steps in for a snap or two. Every offensive lineman, as well as offensive line coach, and pretty much everyone who knows about the NFL will tell you that cohesiveness and continuity is the key for an offensive line. This substitution might not change much, but I have just never heard about a rotation on the unit before. I am not saying it is a bad thing. Just that I think it is strange.

15 – Calm down, guys. The sky is not falling. The media has talked down the Lions way too much. And after losing the turnover battle 3-0, and after all the frustrating play, the Cards were still close to winning.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@Gandhi I agree with the notion that fans need to calm down.

The 2020 Cardinals NEEDED this loss. They have been getting TOO much praise. They need to fix the problems we've seen in every game.

There is a formula for the Cardinals to win: On offense complete short high percentage plays, run effectively, and have Murray run about 10 times per game to keep the defense honest. Let the defense dictate how you attack them, don't force anything. Like I said in another thread, if Murray throws one less pick, the Cardinals win this game.

On defense, DON'T BLITZ. Mix man and zone concepts. Make the defense work down the field. Some of the most disastrous defensive series happened when Vance got cute and got the defense beat with an ill timed blitz. The Cardinals front seven is actually good enough to create some pressure without blitzing.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a game that we should have won, that’s what makes this lost so infuriating. I don’t have faith in this team making it to the playoffs since the book on stopping Murray is out. If we can’t beat the freaking lions of all teams, then what that say about other garbage teams like the Giants, Jets, Dolphins? And we play two of those games in New York.

Last edited:

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The 2020 Cardinals NEEDED this loss. They have been getting TOO much praise. They need to fix the problems we've seen in every game.

There is a formula for the Cardinals to win: On offense complete short high percentage plays, run effectively, and have Murray run about 10 times per game to keep the defense honest. Let the defense dictate how you attack them, don't force anything. Like I said in another thread, if Murray throws one less pick, the Cardinals win this game.

On defense, DON'T BLITZ. Mix man and zone concepts. Make the defense work down the field. Some of the most disastrous defensive series happened when Vance got cute and got the defense beat with an ill timed blitz. The Cardinals front seven is actually good enough to create some pressure without blitzing.

Most people thought we had no chance to beat the 49ers in week 1 and we got a win. We should have won yesterday and I am still so frustrated about that. Even with the turnovers and mental errors, we could have won that game. Before the season started if you had us 2-1,.most people would be happy with that. Time for the Cards regroup and focus on Carolina.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
2. That was me. Not buying him as an 8-10 sack guy (one year wonder for that).

He has made some plays though.

Value for the money...Blackson has been the better deal.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I disagree with this whole heartedly.

You could argue that this team needed a loss to the 49ers, or needed a loss to the Cowboys on MNF. Those would have been humbling losses, where if we had kept it close we could have taken some good out of it...and if not, we could have had a wakeup call that we are not in the top tier of NFC teams.

This loss was just weak, preventable nonsense. We lost to a team that will not be in playoff contention, and had lost 11 games in a row. You can say the Lions are better than some people think....but they were 0-2 and will be lucky to win 4 more games this year. This is the type of loss that isn't humbling...its embarrassing. Its exactly the type of game that good teams don't lose. It makes you wonder if everything you have been seeing in the first two weeks was a fluke, and if we are capable of of losing 6 out of our next 9 games...which I think is possible...and that is assuming we win against the Panthers, Jets, and Dolphins. I think the Panthers AND Dolphins are better than the Lions, so they are not a given.

I would MUCH MUCH rather have a team that beats the bad teams this year, and loses to the teams that are playoff teams then the other way around. Losing to bad teams means you aren't mentally prepared as coaches or players.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mind getting beat off better teams, but the Lions are not a better team. You can't afford to throw games away you should win in this league and that's what we did. That's what's most frustrating.

It could and should have been a 2 score win.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, great job as usual. One thing that you didn't mention that I thought played a major part in the loss, was the number of targets and catches for Keesean Johnson. He was targeted almost as many times as Nuk, at the expense of Larry and Andy, and only had two catches. In fairness to KJ it was his first game, and all I can think of is that he must have played/practiced lights out in the PS. And that last deep ball to him summed up the game for me.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score

I don’t know if any team NEEDS a loss, especially a team as lowly as the Lions. It was a bad loss.
If Murray runs 10 times per game, he won’t make it through the season. Dude is way too little for that. He’s not Lamar Jackson.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t know if any team NEEDS a loss, especially a team as lowly as the Lions. It was a bad loss.
If Murray runs 10 times per game, he won’t make it through the season. Dude is way too little for that. He’s not Lamar Jackson.
Except he’s spectacular at avoiding hits. He’s also well built. He’s not Wentz, Watson, or Cam trying to run through people.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That is a great plan, Krang! I would do that too. At least until Simmons comes more along. Don’t you think he could be a great blitzer?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, great job as usual. One thing that you didn't mention that I thought played a major part in the loss, was the number of targets and catches for Keesean Johnson. He was targeted almost as many times as Nuk, at the expense of Larry and Andy, and only had two catches. In fairness to KJ it was his first game, and all I can think of is that he must have played/practiced lights out in the PS. And that last deep ball to him summed up the game for me.

Garth, seven times Johnson was targeted, and only two times Fitz was. That simply cannot happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson