15 thoughts - Dolphins game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I think Zane Gonzalez is a good kicker, but being short from 49 yards out? Come on, man!

2 – If you win the coin toss, I like that Kingsbury always defer. Arians always took the ball, and it annoyed me. I like the chance of a back-to-back drive at halftime.

3 – Is Patrick Peterson tackling better than ever? I think so.

4 – I am certainly no fashion expert, but are the Dolphins’ pants the most ug… characteristic in all of sports?

5 – Last season I was multiple times thinking “why is this Sean Kugler-guy being thought of as an offensive line coach-guru?” I am having a nice dish of crow on that one.

6 – Per average, the Cards defense are one of the best scoring defenses in the NFL, one of the best third down defenses, and one of the defenses that gives up the fewest touchdowns.

I am not saying I am thrilled with Vance Joseph, but evaluating him is more complicated and nuanced than “THE DEFENSE SUCK! FIRE VANCE JOSEPH!”

7 – Welcome back Markus Golden. What a game!

8 – Through week 9, Zeke Turner has again statistically been one of the top special team gunners in the NFL.

9 – Ugh, De’Vondre Campbell has seemingly taken on Chandler Jones’ windmill-sack-celebration. Good God, that is not pretty.

10 – According to Next Gen Stats, Kyler Murray had by far the biggest positive difference between intended air yards and air yards completed – that is really good.

11 – Edge rusher Kylie Fitts is a nice role player.

12 – I really think it is a big thing for the offense to have Maxx Williams back.

13 – The defensive line is not as impressive as earlier this season. Because there is game tape on them now? Maybe.

14 – By far Isaiah Simmons’ best game. Not just because he got more playing time, but no missed assignments, fairly good coverage, fine play at the line of scrimmage (of course, you could argue that the increased playing time was probably because that he played well).

15 – Look at the change in the (widespread and leaguewide, by the way) logo-format from last week to this! I don’t care about the reason, but wow, that’s an upgrade, huh?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Jordan Phillips has been a disappointment. Decent pass rush the first few games, but terrible run defense all year and is always ailing from something.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm a Zane Gonzalez skeptic. Even when he makes a kick I cringe. I think I'd look for his replacement this offseason.

The problem with comparing teams early in the year based on statistics is that sample size and quality of opponent skews averages. Early in the year the Cardinals didn't play any good offenses. Now that they have faced better offenses, their defensive averages are declining. I would caveat that any time Kevin Peterson is seeing meaningful snaps, you know you're going to have one coverage player that teams can REALLY pick on. He's awful.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate to out myself as against the hivemind, but I don’t put very much blame on VJ at all, I think he’s doing great with the limited personnel he’s working with.

basically all of our position groups on defense suck

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I know Gonzales is getting piled on for the missed kick however did anyone think maybe it was a bad hold? A kicker is striking the lower half of the ball to get it up. Strike the ball too high and you get a line drive. It's not much different than striking a soccer ball. If the holder tilts it a bit too much you get exactly what happened Sunday, a high short kick. There is also the possibility the ball started to slip forward a bit after it was placed which would also have caused the short kick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate to out myself as against the hivemind, but I don’t put very much blame on VJ at all, I think he’s doing great with the limited personnel he’s working with.

basically all of our position groups on defense suck

No, our safety's are very good. I think our inside backers are at least average.

Everywhere else, yeah not so good.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, our safety's are very good. I think our inside backers are at least average.

Everywhere else, yeah not so good.
Our safeties are not very good, we have Baker and the scrap heap. The linebackers are serviceable

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Our safeties are not very good, we have Baker and the scrap heap. The linebackers are serviceable

As others have said, safety is easily the best group on the defense.

Even Deionte Thompson appears to be decent. Budda is the best defender on the team. Jalen Thompson is a good player.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Even Deionte Thompson appears to be decent. Budda is the best defender on the team. Jalen Thompson is a good player.
thompson seems to be very hot and cold to me, I don't think you can say he's going to be a cornerstone (yet, not saying he's trash). time will tell.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chandler Jones was a defensive player of the year. He is still better than Budda.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Chandler Jones was a defensive player of the year. He is still better than Budda.

He wasn't the better player on the field this year. Just because he was better in the past doesn't make him better still.

Baker has taken his game to a whole other level this season, while Jones looked fairly ineffective before his season ending injury.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't the better player on the field this year. Just because he was better in the past doesn't make him better still.

Baker has taken his game to a whole other level this season, while Jones looked fairly ineffective before his season ending injury.

This is the type of logic that has the board going crazy one week when we win, and the sky is falling when we lose.

Jones has proven his worth for most of his career. This is crazy.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would caveat that any time Kevin Peterson is seeing meaningful snaps, you know you're going to have one coverage player that teams can REALLY pick on. He's awful.

I highly thought about including that as a thought, Krang. He gives me Brandon Williams-flashbacks.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
11 - Arizona Cardinals (LW: 9) - The Cardinals need a better kicker but the head coach is the real one to blame for this loss. Kliff Kingsbury opting for a 49-yard field goal attempt from 4th-and-1 with 1:58 left to tie the game doesn’t make sense. Even if the try is successful, there’s still plenty of time for the opponent to drive for a game-winning field goal of their own. Kingsbury should’ve shown more faith in Kyler Murray.
https://news.google.com/articles/CA...6OiACzDupvoCMKy-6gU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is the type of logic that has the board going crazy one week when we win, and the sky is falling when we lose.

Jones has proven his worth for most of his career. This is crazy.
It's the type of logic that actually takes into account how the players actually played on the field this season. Jones looked like he had taken a step back from where he was last season through the first 5 games this year and Baker has taken a big step forward this season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the type of logic that actually takes into account how the players actually played on the field this season. Jones looked like he had taken a step back from where he was last season through the first 5 games this year and Baker has taken a big step forward this season.

:thumbdown