#1 Qb prospect Kyle Allen, crosses ASU off his list.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Kyle Allen@KyleAllen
Here are my top 5 (no order):
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M
UCLA

#1 QB prospect in the nation and home grown here at Desert Mountain.

...ASU was on his list up until today

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rumor on UCLA boards is UCLA leads for the kid but I don't follow football recruiting anything like I do basketball so no idea if that's true.

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
UCLA has had a strong hold on up and coming AZ football talent. I've got a few buddies with kids at Centennial, which is a powerhouse in AZ and ALL of those kids love the ties that UCLA has to AZ talent. I've heard the same thing from a few of those kids, hat they feel at home at UCLA.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
New coaches, same results. Very disappointing coming off two pretty promising debut seasons for RichRod and Graham.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
And from what the internets say Allen won't be the last local kid to flee the state for college ball from what is supposed to be the best class in AZ history. Most apparently will end up out of state.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
It's a real shame that the top players aren't even considering the in-state schools. Although, there have been multiple transfers back to ASU and UA the last couple years. I fully expect Mora to bounce from UCLA after this season or next, so we'll see how long UCLA can maintain all this momentum.

HooverDam

Reaction score
It's unfortunate, but it seems these local kids have been burnt by ASU and UA too much in the past. Even though bothes Coaches had what has to be considered successful 1st seasons, it's going to take more winning.

ASUs schedule is much tougher this year but if they can somehow get 8-10 wins in the regular season, hopefully it'll turn heads with the local recruits. I'm hoping a lot of the local guys wait a while to commit, ASU wins the South, and they get excited, decide to stay home and be apart of it.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Welp good recovery by ASU, they landed 4* QB Manny Wilkins from California today.

Obviously landing Allen would've been great, but getting an athletic mobile QB who's been getting a lot of attention lately is a nice rebound. Wilkins is probably
a better fit for Norvelles offense anyhow*.

It'll be interesting to see if ASU looks for another QB this cycle or not since Graham whiffed his first 2 go arounds.

*not that if you land a kid like Allen and he lives up to the hype you don't modify your offense, obviously you would.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Allen apparently surprised everyone and picked Texas A&M.

I know UCLA boards were stunned, they'd apparently been told the kid told UCLA fairly recently he was going to be a Bruin.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's unfortunate, but it seems these local kids have been burnt by ASU and UA too much in the past.

You mean local coaches/recruiters.

I doubt Kyle Allen has ever been burned by an ASU or UA Coach.

It seems especially rampant in the Valley, that coaches pride themselves on sending their kids out of state.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I know TAMU is in the SEC, had success recently and a Heisman winner, but if you'd rather live in College Station than Tempe, or Westwood, even for if its only 2 years....yikes, seems crazy to me.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know TAMU is in the SEC, had success recently and a Heisman winner, but if you'd rather live in College Station than Tempe, or Westwood, even for if its only 2 years....yikes, seems crazy to me.

Not everyone wants to go to college to party. That's a good thing.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Some of the best programs in the country are located in South Bend, Norman, Lincoln, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Tallahassee, Ann Arbor, and Columbus. None of them are exactly desirable places to live outside of the universities. In fact the only elite programs located in desirable communities off the top of my head are USC, the U, and Texas.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm just shocked that the nation's #1 QB prospect comes from my alma mater, Desert Mountain. When I was there, the football program was mediocre at best.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Not everyone wants to go to college to party. That's a good thing.

Don't know where you got partying from my post. I'm the least party kinda guy there is. My point was College Station is a dump, I personally wouldn't want to do more than fill gas there.

Disregarding my ASU loyalty, if I were a college kid with unlimited athletic scholarships, I'd be looking at USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Miami, BC, Northwestern, Colorado, Utah, etc... Depending on the sport and how the program was at the time.

I'm aware that a lot of elite programs are in dull college towns, I'm just saying for me, that would be reason to not choose them. There's plenty of good or very good programs in exciting places to live to choose from.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Even regarding my UofA loyalty (with my older and wiser hindsight glasses on of course) had I gotten a major sport athletic scholarship back then anywhere my choices would have been Stanford, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn