‘My autism is my super power – and my target is the Ironman World Championship’

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completing an Ironman triathlon is often described as the ultimate test of endurance reserved for the world’s most dedicated elite athletes. For ‘Super’ Sam Holness the chance to compete against the greatest triathletes at the Ironman World Championship would not only signal a landmark moment in his life but could change the world of sport in the process. Sam, 27, from London, is training to become a pioneering autistic athlete by taking on the world-renowned Ironman challenge. Coached by his father, Anthony, and supported by a team of partners including global footwear brand Hoka One One and UK athletic clothing firm HUUB, Sam is following a tough training schedule in preparation for the Ironman’s 3.8km swim, 180km bike and full marathon. “He is an amazing athlete,” enthuses Anthony. “I spend days watching Sam train and am in awe of his commitment and ‘never say die’ attitude.” Sam was three when he was diagnosed with autism. He didn’t speak until he was six. But at school he began to defy expectations, becoming a standout swimmer. Whilst his autism restricts his social and communication skills, Sam insists it’s very much a strength when it comes to a triathlon. “My autism allows me to be very focused and not easily distracted, it allows me to train hard and smart,” he says. “I just never give up. If other athletes pass me, I want to catch them to get back in front. I shout, ‘Come on legs, go faster, get to the front’.” As a kid Sam’s judo sensei nicknamed him “Super Sam” because he was a fearless and relentless fighter. “I was the first one at the dojo and the first one to put up his hand to fight even if the opponent had a higher grading or was heavier than me.” The nickname and that dogged determination has stuck. “I love training and I never give up,” says Sam, who aims to become a professional triathlete. “At a triathlon at Dorney Lakes a few years ago when I had a serious bout of bloating on the run section. I remember dragging myself over the finishing line.” Many people with autism suffer from irritable bowel syndrome too. “Another time while riding seven laps of Richmond Park someone opened their car door and knocked me off my bike during my third lap. They just drove off and left me on the ground. I got up and rode seven more laps because my plan was to complete seven continuous laps!”

Continue reading...