Jerry Sullivan takes a shot at Az.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
[font=Arial, Helvetica] So when the 49ers asked him to tutor Marshall, a prospect he didn't work out prior to the draft and knew almost nothing about, Sullivan wasn't fazed. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] "Remember," he said, "I went through the 2003 and 2002 seasons in Arizona."
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8542232/rss
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]:soapbox: The worst Cardinal team in those years was still better then the 49ers now. I hope his new project fails.
[/font]

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sulli speaks the truth. HE went through those years. He played a part in why those years were so bad.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I guess his point is that Arizona didn't know anything about the players they were drafting?

In 2002 the Cards drafted:
6 149 WR Jason McAddley (Alabama)

In 2003 the Cards drafted:
1 17(17) Bryant Johnson WR Penn St.
2 22(54) Anquan Boldin* WR Florida St.

I guess I don't get it.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok

I can see being perturbed at what appears to be a "shot", but in all fairness, he took good receivers and made them better. He took better than good receivers and made THEM better. He took some, not so good receivers, and made them acceptable. He never wanted to be an O.C. but, he seemed to want to be here.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think there was any ill-will in those comments. 02 and 03 were awful years, if Sully said otherwise, he wouldn't be speaking the truth. For a guy signing up with an 2-14 team, I think he's just making the point, that he's seen the bottom and has a lot of experience with rebuild projects. And I think he did a dam fine job with our recievers while he was here. I think he's a good pick up for San Fran. A lot of former Cards players or coaches just seem to trash the organization top to bottom once they are gone, basically to shift any of the blame from themselves. But I don't think Sully is doing that here.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, at one point in 2002 our starters were Gilmore and Kasper. He's right that it can't get much worse than that.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the days when we had access let me tell you a little bit about JS.

He does not appear to be what you might call media savy, he doesn't welcome people in with a smile and joke.

From what I could tell he was what we cal in the business world 'Task Oriented' and to him that task was coaching receivers.

Not so say that he wasn't pleasant at times, but you never wanted to to throw a quick question at him, he would be 'not amused'.

The point is we have no idea of the context that question was asked in, it sounds to me like a response to one of those quick questions that might have been thrown at him as he passed by.

Like I said, he never was great at beng a diplomat and we know that the Cards have had problems these last few years. My guess is that it wasn't intended as a slap at the Cards more likely it's just the way he is [or seemed to be to us] and that is fairly blunt.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually in watching Golmore practice, I could se why JS had hopes for him.

He was fast, very fast. Much faster the BJ and far, far faster than Q, unfortunatly he never learned to catch.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I can't blame Sullivan too much for what happened here considering all the garbage talent he had to work with combined with the other factors working against him, but I do think his ability as a WR coach is vastly overrated by many on this board. People talk about Boston's performance in 2001 but I think D-Bo could credit his steroid dealer just as much as Sully for that Pro Bowl season.

Let's not forget Sully was the mastermind behind giving up a draft pick for Larry Foster, giving way too much time to garbage like Brian GIlmore and Jason McAddley, and that unforgivable offense of 2003. Sorry, but the guy gets way too much credit on this board.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I can't blame Sullivan too much for what happened here considering all the garbage talent he had to work with combined with the other factors working against him, but I do think his ability as a WR coach is vastly overrated by many on this board. People talk about Boston's performance in 2001 but I think D-Bo could credit his steroid dealer just as much as Sully for that Pro Bowl season.

Let's not forget Sully was the mastermind behind giving up a draft pick for Larry Foster, giving way too much time to garbage like Brian GIlmore and Jason McAddley, and that unforgivable offense of 2003. Sorry, but the guy gets way too much credit on this board.

If I remember correctly, Gilmore and McAddley were pretty much all we had at the time. Along with a done Frank Sanders and an imploding David Boston.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Tosi, but I can't agree with you.

As a OC he may well have been a flop, but I've watched him coach WR's and the man knows what he is doing. Sorry but you are flat wrong.

Jerry's mistake was in agreeing to be the OC.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I never said the guy was a bad WR coach, just an slightly above average one. In his time here only Boston in 2001 really had an outstanding season and in retrospect we now know that steroids played a part in that. I just think that if he was this WR guru that many on this board make him out to be he wouldn't have been canned two years in a row. Just my opinion.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the CEO aka Head Coach will do that to you.

Many are like DG, they want a total house cleaning just to have a well defined change from the 'old' way of doing things.

JS has been caught in this twice now, not his fault

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
can't blame him, those teams Su(KED! We were ranked both years at 32 and 31.

Those teams were pathetic. The team could have been whooped by a good college team....they had little heart. And Coach Mac while a wonderful speaker had no control over his players and was WAY TOO loyal to players and coaches even after they proved they did not belong in the NFL.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
When did I ever blame Sullivan for what happened during the Mac years? When did I ever say the guy sucked as a WR coach? I said the guy was a above average position coach. I just don't think he's the Vince Lombardi of WR coaches that many on this board have made him out to be.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
I think Sulli was a pretty good WR coach while he was here. One of the best in the NFL. He was thrown under the bus that last year with a group of undertalented and heartless players, most of which I'm glad are gone now.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I never said the guy was a bad WR coach, just an slightly above average one. In his time here only Boston in 2001 really had an outstanding season and in retrospect we now know that steroids played a part in that. I just think that if he was this WR guru that many on this board make him out to be he wouldn't have been canned two years in a row. Just my opinion.

I didn't know that "steroids" came with a playbook on how to run routes, etc.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
I didn't know that "steroids" came with a playbook on how to run routes, etc.

Nope; but you can get them with pamphlets on "How to drop footballs" and "Nipple piercing for Dummies".

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica] So when the 49ers asked him to tutor Marshall, a prospect he didn't work out prior to the draft and knew almost nothing about, Sullivan wasn't fazed. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] "Remember," he said, "I went through the 2003 and 2002 seasons in Arizona."
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8542232/rss
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]:soapbox: The worst Cardinal team in those years was still better then the 49ers now. I hope his new project fails.
[/font]

He is talking about when all the Cards WR's went down and the CArds had Kasper and McAddley starting, I don't think it was a shot

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Sully love fest always cracked me up. Can anyone name me one player besides Tony Martin that Sully did anything special with? UNless you call getting 1st rounders to play like 1st rounders - that doesn't sound like the work of genius to me.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
the Sully love fest always cracked me up. Can anyone name me one player besides Tony Martin that Sully did anything special with? UNless you call getting 1st rounders to play like 1st rounders - that doesn't sound like the work of genius to me.

Well, he did con many people into thinking Kasper was a legit NFL starting wideout. I think Kasper is an Arena player myself.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Good point. It isn't like Sullivan ever made Pro Bowlers out of Larry Foster, Bryan Gilmore or McAddley.

I guess you could give him some credit for Anquan, even though Tyke Tolbert was technically the WR coach at the time.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wanna change the direction of negative commentary by media, opposing coaches or players? Win games. When that happens, those kinds of comments will be relegated to the trash heap of history.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Herman Moore and Johnny Morton

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Herman Moore and Johnny Morton

Round 1
Sel# Team Player Pos. School
1 Dallas Maryland, Russell NT Miami
2 Cleveland Turner, Eric S UCLA
3 Atlanta Pickens, Bruce CB Nebraska
4 Denver Croel, Mike OLB Nebraska