2024 NFL Draft Thread - Round 2 (no spoilers)

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmm...49ers still haven't taken an offensive lineman as of the end of the 2nd round when they really need o-line help.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who was the HOFer Lou Gehrig we passed on?
By trading out of their spot in the top of RD 2, Cards passed on players after the trade to Atlanta down to Melton and then those after Melton to their first pick in RD 3. Some guys in that group have an above-average prospect grade and would be possible Lou Gehrig HOFers. As the 2nd round picks come off the board, we are already into players who have grades ‘will become an eventual starter.’ These are the Wally Pipps. I said our CHANCE at a Lou Gerhig went down with the trade. How that plays out is TBD. Of course, there are outliers to that generalized characterization. (HOF KWarner wasn’t even drafted).

In a top-heavy draft, most of the talent sits at the top and the further down you go, the talent level goes down. So do the chances of getting a superior player. If that wasn’t true, teams would trade away their top picks for as many lower-round picks as they could collect. Besides the Cards, do you see any teams doing that? Cards are dropping back in the 2nd to get yet another 3rd rounder. There is a break-point where quality should be taken over quantity. In this draft, that break-point is early in the middle of the 2nd and we are into ‘just a guy’ in the 3rd.

Look how many teams are trading up in the 2nd and giving up those lower-round picks. They know that quality is going down the further down you go in the draft. That is coming earlier than in most drafts.

As to which player is a HOFer, we need them to come off the board up to our first pick in the 3rd. Then get back to me in 10-12 years and we can look at the players we passed over. We can also look at the ones we got in the 3rd.

I’d like to hear your perspective if you disagree with my rationale. (That goes for you as well KrangPoo. I see you have been let out of ‘time-out’ and are trolling my posts with your ‘Thumbs Down’ opinion.)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With the first pick in the 2025 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select . . . (Oh, wait a minute. No spoilers. Have to wait a whole year to hear this. Sorry dudes.)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Congrats Yuma---You took the time to look at a closed thread to find my comment. Unfortunately, I think we are closer to the #1 pick in 2025 than the 32nd.
I don't see this thread is closed. It's letting me post responses. I am sorry you read this as an attack on you. I saw it in this thread, and am always hopeful for that 32cnd pick some day....:)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am sorry you read this as an attack on you.
I didn't take your response as an attack on me. No more than me saying in jest that we are closer to #1 pick than we are to #32 . . . unless we trade that #1 pick for #32 and a bunch of 3rd round picks. LOL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison