OT: 2024 NFL Draft Rumors

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
FWIW - Wolfley on AZ Sports was pushing the trade down narrative yesterday. We all know he's a mouth piece for the team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Matt "Money" Smith of the Chargers broadcast team, who has covered NFL football for over thirty years gave hi insight on the cardinals at number four, trading with the Vikings, and making a trade with the Cardinals. His scenario was to take a call from the vikings to move up, and at the same time call the Chargers, trade and get the 11th and 23rd picks from Vikings and possibly more. Then call the Chargers and trade for the fifth to get MHJ, and give the Chargers the 11th and 23rd, and swap out for the Chargers 27th or possibly one of their second or third round picks. AZ picks up extra picks, and gets MHJ. Rumor is Changers may want to trade down to get OL or TE. they get extra picks, too. Win/win. Matt Smith is saying the vibe he is getting is Charges wanting to move down. Matt Smith is part of a Chargers.com podcast.

Cards Crazy

Veteran
Reaction score
Matt "Money" Smith of the Chargers broadcast team, who has covered NFL football for over thirty years gave hi insight on the cardinals at number four, trading with the Vikings, and making a trade with the Cardinals. His scenario was to take a call from the vikings to move up, and at the same time call the Chargers, trade and get the 11th and 23rd picks from Vikings and possibly more. Then call the Chargers and trade for the fifth to get MHJ, and give the Chargers the 11th and 23rd, and swap out for the Chargers 27th or possibly one of their second or third round picks. AZ picks up extra picks, and gets MHJ. Rumor is Changers may want to trade down to get OL or TE. they get extra picks, too. Win/win. Matt Smith is saying the vibe he is getting is Charges wanting to move down. Matt Smith is part of a Chargers.com podcast.
Kinda confused dont we have the 27th from Houston? And were you meaning we give the Chargers the 11 and 27 and we get 5 and 23?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
More than 3? IMO, it's hard to believe Monti would hesitate to give teams a 'deal' and settle for 3.

We all know Monti is addicted to.....

You must be registered for see images attach
isnt the diff the Pats need a QB while the Cards dont?

i know the magic beans thing isnt 100% serious, but if Monti was just about collecting draft picks, he wouldnt have traded back up last year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling we are going to trade down and then trade back up to get a Wr. I think Monti sees MJH, odunze and Nabers close enough to equal and will be willing to add picks as long as we can get one of the big 3.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
isnt the diff the Pats need a QB while the Cards dont?
It was mostly joking overall, but I can elaborate on the thought process behind it and expand upon it.

I look at it more as the price of a QB in general +/-. The perception is the Pats are looking to choose the 3rd QB, leaving one of the top 4 available. With them, they or anyone they trade with gets a choice of two, and a trade with us, one. Thus the Pats pick should be valued higher than ours, but if all four are judged to be in the same tier, it's the same ballpark.

Pats could trade down and still get one of the four, especially if they trade back up. If they traded with the Giants, unless we or Chargers trade out they'd still get one of the four. They could even trade with NYG, then offer a bit back to prevent a team from trading up and leapfrogging them with either us or Chargers.

Maybe this year we facilitate the trade back up for another team and that's how we trade down and get one of the top 3 WR's. So it goes 3rd Giants, Pats, Chargers (or trade), 6th Ari.

The closer we get to the draft, the more I think QB's and WR's are going to fly off early and all 7 of these guys are gone well within the top 10 maybe by 8. Sure things get drafted high, and those three WR's seem like sure things. So much so that if any team that doesn't need a QB takes one, even if their fans might prefer some need like an OT and edge or whatever... very few of them are going to feel like they got poor value.

I've also noticed that recently once a WR is taken, a WR runs tend to happen. In 2023 it wasn't until the 20th pick, but then 21, 22, and 23 were all WR's. In 2022, it was 8, 10, 11, 12, 16, 18. In 2021, It was 5, 6, 10. In 2020 you had six selected between 12 and 25. I believe the hype on these top three this year is higher than all of these other years. This year's top end WR class matches or exceeds 2021, and thus 3 in the top 8 or 10 sounds about right. Especially with rumors that SD might want to trade down and get an OT. So it seems like another usually high-drafted position is getting downgraded.

Public perception is meaningless as the GMs aren't negotiating in public, but it gravitates public perception to this level and creates a public perception baseline to talk about. That is of course all we can go on.

Is this us catching up with the compensation level being talked about behind the scenes, or is it wishful thinking by the Pats and way off? Does this guy have inside baseball or is someone using him or what?

We don't know how much Monti is into magic beans. One trade-down doesn't cement such a legacy or trend, so it is more of a joke at this point, but the option is there to start one. If he were to trade out of MHJ and the top 3 WR's, and not come back up and miss out on the top 3 WR's, I think most could agree a trend would have started.

I will say this, three firsts is more than he traded down for last year to go from 3 to 12, so I think he'd be open to pulling the trigger if he was ever offered that to go from 4 to 11. More draft capital for less of a move down. I also think with that much capital and all the other picks he had, I feel he might think he could even overpay on a trade back up.

Personally, I think it's a dangerous game if he underestimates the imo likely early WR run and settles for a tier-two WR because he can't get back up. So in every sense from a pure magic beans perspective, it's a better deal than he accepted last year, but the cost to the team might be higher.

But none of this has happened so it's just a bunch of crap thrown against a wall aka pre-draft speculating on a football message board. It's also the fun of having a 2nd year GM. Will he repeat what he did last year? Will he stay and pick MHJ or even one of the other top WR's? Will he do something completely different? We'll find out.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It was mostly joking overall, but I can elaborate on the thought process behind it and expand upon it.

I look at it more as the price of a QB in general +/-. The perception is the Pats are looking to choose the 3rd QB, leaving one of the top 4 available. With them, they or anyone they trade with gets a choice of two, and a trade with us, one. Thus the Pats pick should be valued higher than ours, but if all four are judged to be in the same tier, it's the same ballpark.

Pats could trade down and still get one of the four, especially if they trade back up. If they traded with the Giants, unless we or Chargers trade out they'd still get one of the four. They could even trade with NYG, then offer a bit back to prevent a team from trading up and leapfrogging them with either us or Chargers.

Maybe this year we facilitate the trade back up for another team and that's how we trade down and get one of the top 3 WR's. So it goes 3rd Giants, Pats, Chargers (or trade), 6th Ari.

The closer we get to the draft, the more I think QB's and WR's are going to fly off early and all 7 of these guys are gone well within the top 10 maybe by 8. Sure things get drafted high, and those three WR's seem like sure things. So much so that if any team that doesn't need a QB takes one, even if their fans might prefer some need like an OT and edge or whatever... very few of them are going to feel like they got poor value.

I've also noticed that recently once a WR is taken, a WR runs tend to happen. In 2023 it wasn't until the 20th pick, but then 21, 22, and 23 were all WR's. In 2022, it was 8, 10, 11, 12, 16, 18. In 2021, It was 5, 6, 10. In 2020 you had six selected between 12 and 25. I believe the hype on these top three this year is higher than all of these other years. This year's top end WR class matches or exceeds 2021, and thus 3 in the top 8 or 10 sounds about right. Especially with rumors that SD might want to trade down and get an OT. So it seems like another usually high-drafted position is getting downgraded.

Public perception is meaningless as the GMs aren't negotiating in public, but it gravitates public perception to this level and creates a public perception baseline to talk about. That is of course all we can go on.

Is this us catching up with the compensation level being talked about behind the scenes, or is it wishful thinking by the Pats and way off? Does this guy have inside baseball or is someone using him or what?

We don't know how much Monti is into magic beans. One trade-down doesn't cement such a legacy or trend, so it is more of a joke at this point, but the option is there to start one. If he were to trade out of MHJ and the top 3 WR's, and not come back up and miss out on the top 3 WR's, I think most could agree a trend would have started.

I will say this, three firsts is more than he traded down for last year to go from 3 to 12, so I think he'd be open to pulling the trigger if he was ever offered that to go from 4 to 11. More draft capital for less of a move down. I also think with that much capital and all the other picks he had, I feel he might think he could even overpay on a trade back up.

Personally, I think it's a dangerous game if he underestimates the imo likely early WR run and settles for a tier-two WR because he can't get back up. So in every sense from a pure magic beans perspective, it's a better deal than he accepted last year, but the cost to the team might be higher.

But none of this has happened so it's just a bunch of crap thrown against a wall aka pre-draft speculating on a football message board. It's also the fun of having a 2nd year GM. Will he repeat what he did last year? Will he stay and pick MHJ or even one of the other top WR's? Will he do something completely different? We'll find out.
You must be registered for see images attach

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
This rumor is there. I believe there have Been talks, But if it happens, it Will be with more picks.

The Minnesota leak had the Vikings paying the exact cost according to the Value chart with Cardinals losing a bit. This has the Chargers losing Value point. Neither Will happen like that. The Cardinals sit in the position of power and is the team recieving multiple offers. The Vikings is the team wanting to Trade up. Any three way trade Will have the Chargers being held “neutral”, Vikings overpaying for QB tax that Will go to the Cardinals.

If it happens it Will be something like this:
Chargers: #11 (min), #27(az), #90(az)
Min: #4, 2025 3rd (Az)
Az: #5(lac) #23(min) + 2025 1st (min)
Viking have to pony up extra to execute this Trade. Whatever extra, Which IMO should minimum a 1st rounder next year with a lower Pick back to vikings.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn