2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Funny story about Aaron Francisco, I showed up to a rugby tournament a while back and didn’t have my kit. He was playing for my buddy’s team and I ended up borrowing his cleats so I could play a half. I promised I would sign them when I was done lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep hearing about "medical concerns". Where will Latu go because of "medical concerns" and "Michael Penix would be a top 15 pick if it wasn't for medical concerns".

Question, when was the last time anyone with medical concerns actually washed out because of them? I honestly can't think of anyone in the recent past.

I remember banging the table to draft Trey Smith on draft night and people wanted to avoid him because of medicals and he's been an absolute beast that's missed 1 game in 3 years (Don't worry, we got Tay Gowan though).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about "medical concerns". Where will Latu go because of "medical concerns" and "Michael Penix would be a top 15 pick if it wasn't for medical concerns".

Question, when was the last time anyone with medical concerns actually washed out because of them? I honestly can't think of anyone in the recent past.

I remember banging the table to draft Trey Smith on draft night and people wanted to avoid him because of medicals and he's been an absolute beast that's missed 1 game in 3 years (Don't worry, we got Tay Gowan though).
I think Penix gets drafted as QB3 in this draft if he didn't have medical concerns. So definitely top 5.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Penix gets drafted as QB3 in this draft if he didn't have medical concerns. So definitely top 5.

He played all the last 2 seasons though. Are there really concerns or was he just unlucky before?

If I'm the Raiders in the teens I'm not concerned about some ligament injuries 3 years ago.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He played all the last 2 seasons though. Are there really concerns or was he just unlucky before?

If I'm the Raiders in the teens I'm not concerned about some ligament injuries 3 years ago.
The concern is that he wouldn't have as long of a career as he would have otherwise. When you are drafting that high, you want that player to sign 2nd and even 3rd contracts. Not sure you can be sure that Penix can do that with is concerns.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Rondale Moore?

I'm sure you'll be mad that he didn't "actually wash out because of them" but most players don't "wash out" of the NFL for just one reason (Whatever that means). It's usually a combination of factors, and availability is a really big one.

Troy Niklas was an injury case in college and then in the pros. DJ Humphries couldn't stay healthy in college and struggled to do so in the NFL, especially in the first few years of his career. Rob Gronkowski came into the NFL with a neck/back injury and had a shorter prime and career than a lot of his TE peers at the top of the pyramid.

I don't. I think being left handed, less mobile compared to the profile, and an older prospect would put downward pressure on him into the middle of the first. Penix is 17 months older than CJ Stroud.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't. I think being left handed, less mobile compared to the profile, and an older prospect would put downward pressure on him into the middle of the first.
Agree to disagree.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Medical testing is THE most important thing that goes on at the combine. A guy might not "wash out" because of them but they will definitely impact their draft status.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The concern is that he wouldn't have as long of a career as he would have otherwise. When you are drafting that high, you want that player to sign 2nd and even 3rd contracts. Not sure you can be sure that Penix can do that with is concerns.
Meh, Pennix isn't a RB or WR...and isn't considered a mobile QB. His knees shouldn't really take a beating and he shouldn't be in excess danger of a non-contact injury, just hanging in the pocket.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, Pennix isn't a RB or WR...and isn't considered a mobile QB. His knees shouldn't really take a beating and he shouldn't be in excess danger of a non-contact injury, just hanging in the pocket.
Neither is Joe Burrow and he had one. When you have one, you are more likely to have another.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Neither is Joe Burrow and he had one. When you have one, you are more likely to have another.
But Penix is out of knees ain't he?
They say the knee is usually stronger after being rebuilt.. penix has a rebuild on both knees doesn't he? If so it would seem his risk of future knee injuries is lower than other guys

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Penix is out of knees ain't he?
Out of knees? LOL. What a weird way to phrase it.

They say the knee is usually stronger after being rebuilt.. penix has a rebuild on both knees doesn't he? If so it would seem his risk of future knee injuries is lower than other guys
And yet, he had to have another ACL on the SAME knee. This doesn't even talk about his shoulder issues.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it was the same knee twice. Gotcha...that does increase the risk
I thought he also injured his other knee, but it wasn't an ACL. Like both on his right knee. I don't know that for sure.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rondale Moore?

I'm sure you'll be mad that he didn't "actually wash out because of them" but most players don't "wash out" of the NFL for just one reason (Whatever that means). It's usually a combination of factors, and availability is a really big one.

Troy Niklas was an injury case in college and then in the pros. DJ Humphries couldn't stay healthy in college and struggled to do so in the NFL, especially in the first few years of his career. Rob Gronkowski came into the NFL with a neck/back injury and had a shorter prime and career than a lot of his TE peers at the top of the pyramid.

Come on man. Rondale played all year last year and 14 games in year 1.

DJ played all but 2 games the last 5 seasons apart from him back injury last year and Gronk had an 11 year career and played 143 games and retired at 32. Jermaine Gresham was the first TE taken in that class and was done by 2018. In fact Gronk lasted longer than any TE in that class except Jimmy Graham.

These are completely normal NFL careers. There are a tonne of guys never got hurt in college that had more injury issues in the pros.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Medical testing is THE most important thing that goes on at the combine. A guy might not "wash out" because of them but they will definitely impact their draft status.

That's my point. When did "medical concerns" actually bare out in the NFL?

Trey Smith was a 2nd round guard that went in the 6th and has played like a 1st round guard and missed 1 game in 3 years.

When was the last time medical concerns had any baring on anything other than draft position? And if it doesn't, why are players still getting boned on draft position and pay because of bogus concerns?

Swope is the only name I could come up with and he's 10 years ago, but Swope was an undersized slot / WR3 type and at best maybe he goes late 3rd or early 4th instead of the 6th without the concerns. Guys like Penix are 1st round QB's that back in January were getting mocked in the late 2nd because of medicals when he's played 2 full seasons in a row.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my point. When did "medical concerns" actually bare out in the NFL?

Swope is the only name I could come up with and he's 10 years ago, but Swope was an undersized slot / WR3 type and at best maybe he goes late 3rd or early 4th instead of the 6th without the concerns. Guys like Penix are 1st round QB's that back in January were getting mocked in the late 2nd because of medicals when he's played 2 full seasons in a row.
How many 1st round QBs have had Penix injury history? I can't think of a single one... and I'm a fan of Penix.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson