2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Man I really do hope Im wrong. Or at least hope MHJ does fall to 4.

However, Im thinking this is last years draft all over again where we trade down instead of selecting the SEC Star (or the top prospect left on the board).

That just seems to be the sense from all of Cards media. For whatever reason they dont think WR is a #1 priority and there is depth later in the draft.

Again hope Im wrong, but we'll see.
That’s definitely the vibe right now, but a lot of that is media being gun shy because they were all in on Will Anderson last year and had to hard reset when the Cards traded out.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man I really do hope Im wrong. Or at least hope MHJ does fall to 4.

However, Im thinking this is last years draft all over again where we trade down instead of selecting the SEC Star (or the top prospect left on the board).

That just seems to be the sense from all of Cards media. For whatever reason they dont think WR is a #1 priority and there is depth later in the draft.

Again hope Im wrong, but we'll see.
I’m thinking other than the QBs the list of available players going within picks 4-12 is much stronger than last year’s crop.

I have more confidence walking away with an outstanding player on a trade down without the need to consume obtained draft capital moving back up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can get by with adequate IOL. It's hard to get by with adequate OTs. Its hard to get by with just adequate WRs. You can get by with adequate LBs.

I don't see any scenario where an IOL is the best player on the board at #27.

I'm not sure how you can say that when it's disproved by practically every draft.

There has been a Center taken at 25, 24, 18, 20 and 18 in 5 of the last 7 drafts.

And Guards taken at 15, 17, 29, 14, 14, 6 and 28 in the same drafts.

NFL teams clearly think those positions can be (and have been) the best available at those first round spots.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know that's changing the conversation. Nacua has shown something at the NFL level. Wilson has shown next-to-nothing.

Come on man, Wilson has 45 yards a game as a rookie and played most of them with Dobbs.

He actually averaged 50 yards per game with Dobbs and fell off to 33 yards per with Murray.

For comparison, Christian Kirk had 49 yards per game as a rookie. Larry had 49 yards per game as a rookie. Floyd 35 yards per as a rookie. John Brown has 43.5 YPG as a rookie.

Wilson is right there in the mix with any WR we drafted this millenium except Boldin for rookie season numbers.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Come on man, Wilson has 45 yards a game as a rookie and played most of them with Dobbs.

He actually averaged 50 yards per game with Dobbs and fell off to 33 yards per with Murray.

For comparison, Christian Kirk had 49 yards per game as a rookie. Larry had 49 yards per game as a rookie. Floyd 35 yards per as a rookie. John Brown has 43.5 YPG as a rookie.

Wilson is right there in the mix with any WR we drafted this millenium except Boldin for rookie season numbers.
Brit, it’s a common occurrence of speaking what one feels and not necessarily supported by facts.

Thank you for doing due diligence. It doesn’t necessarily change how one feels but it helps others who depend on facts in formulating their thoughts.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brit, it’s a common occurrence of speaking what one feels and not necessarily supported by facts.

Thank you for doing due diligence. It doesn’t necessarily change how one feels but it helps others who depend on facts in formulating their thoughts.

Tyreek Hill's rookie season is interesting :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Small sample size theatre -- you love it when it suits your narrative.

Why is YPG an important metric? Because it allows you to tell this story. Oops. You even expose it when you split Dobbs/Murray.

Wilson: 58 targets/38 rec/565 yds/3 TD/709 snaps
Kirk: 68/43/590/3/542

You think that Christian Kirk is JAG. So you're saying Wilson had the rookie season of another JAG. Even then, Christian Kirk's rookie season had him playing with Josh Rosen and Sam Bradford while competing for touches with Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson. C'mon.

Michael Wilson was 20th in receptions AMONG THIS DRAFT CLASS, which was considered pretty bad. Four players picked after him had more receptions.

No one is throwing dirt on his grave or anything. But you can't just pencil him in as a starting-quality WR on a playoff team based on what he actually showed last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Why is YPG an important metric? Because it allows you to tell this story. Oops. You even expose it when you split Dobbs/Murray.

You think that Christian Kirk is JAG. So you're saying Wilson had the rookie season of another JAG. Even then, Christian Kirk's rookie season had him playing with Josh Rosen and Sam Bradford while competing for touches with Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson. C'mon.

Michael Wilson was 20th in receptions AMONG THIS DRAFT CLASS, which was considered pretty bad. Four players picked after him had more receptions.

No one is throwing dirt on his grave or anything. But you can't just pencil him in as a starting-quality WR on a playoff team based on what he actually showed last year.
I think Wilson showed he can play in the NFL, but there weren't any strong indicators he can be a starter on a good team.

At best he's a #2 receiver, which is good for a late third round, but he didn't show anything that would make me plan around him.

Maybe the Cardinals feel differently though. They see him every day and knows better what kind of person and player he is. There is a big problem with going all in on Wilson though: his injury history is pretty long and he did nothing to assuage those concerns.

The ideal route would be to sign a productive NFL receiver, draft a receiver high, and make them all compete for touches.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No, you have that all the way wrong.

I was one of the few people here arguing that Kirk wasn't a JAG and that he was being held back by Kliff's scheme and QB play. I was arguing he was going to get $13m+ when people were saying they wouldn't sign him for more than $8m.

Wilson had less receptions because he was in one of the most run heavy schemes in the league and he missed 5 games.

I've said it before but Wilson is going to be a good NFL wide receiver. He has everything in his game if he stays healthy. My main concern with Wilson is Kyler TBH. His accuracy throwing outside the numbers has been poor the last couple of seasons and Wilson's game isn't like Brown or Rondale where he's going to catch 5 yard passes and turn them into 8+.

He's not "next to nothing". He's going to be at worst a good #2.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have a feeling the Pats go the veteran route at QB too. They have the cap space and I don't think they want to risk the Mac Jones experience again.

But I think if they do go with a vet then there is a strong chance they trade out of #3.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This thread is overthinking the hell out of him preferring Odunze over him.

Again, I like Rome, but I don’t see Rome putting fear in defenses like Nabers.
In defense of the thread, Kyler Murray has had more success with receivers who win contested catches than those who win vertically and have RAC skills.

I put this in another thread, but I agree Nabers is the better prospect. I wonder if he is the better fit with Murray.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In defense of the thread, Kyler Murray has had more success with receivers who win contested catches than those who win vertically and have RAC skills.
yes...... kinda

we saw a lot of DHop and AJ Green production where they made contested catches -- its easy to imagine Odunze in that role.

but Christian Kirk wasnt a contested catch guy and he did pretty well with Kyler. I would think Nabers would be a better version of Kirk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
than those who win vertically and have RAC skills.
But all of those have been 5’9 or shorter. Hollywood, Moore, Byrd, etc. It’s going to be way more challenging winning vertically with those guys with their already limited stature.

@football karma hit the nail on the head with Kirk. Kyler has had success with him, now imagine a super-charged up version of him that can have success both outside & in the slot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But all of those have been 5’9 or shorter. Hollywood, Moore, Byrd, etc. It’s going to be way more challenging winning vertically with those guys with their already limited stature.

@football karma hit the nail on the head with Kirk. Kyler has had success with him, now imagine a super-charged up version of him that can have success both outside & in the slot.
Agree on the size issue. We will see what Nabers measures at the combine.

Disagree a bit with Kirk. It took until Kirk's 4th year in the league and his 3rd with Kyler for Kirk to have a year where he gained more than 709 yards. It also was the same year Kirk played with Hopkins who demanded more coverage. In Kirk's most productive year in yards with Kyler, his yards after catch per reception were 3.0. That was tied for 141st in the NFL. Kirk's best year was 5.2, and that puts him between 45th-65th depending on the year.

I do feel Kyler struggles to throw players open which limits YAC. Not sure how to measure that tho.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It took until Kirk's 4th year in the league and his 3rd with Kyler for Kirk to have a year where he gained more than 709 yards.
I chalk that up to a Kliff problem where it was known Kirk struggles on the boundary, but Kliff kept him there until his last year here anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard