Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to know more though. There were issues going on with Jae Crowder as well.

However, it's risky keeping Ayton if the Suns can find a good trade.

Don’t forget legit media was saying Monty and Paul were getting into it to at the end last year

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I disagree. We fans are fickle and prisoners of the moment. All he has to do is come out and play like he did in his first few playoff series and he'll win most of us back.
Ain't just Monty tho,I can think of instances where Ayton publicly wasn't jelling with CP3, Craig, Bridges, Booker, even KD in Ayton's last game

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget legit media was saying Monty and Paul were getting into it to at the end last year

Whatever it was, it didn't get fixed and the players started to play too much on their own.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lmao oh idk maybe blowing a 2-0 lead and losing 4 straight to the Bucks

Being the 1 seed blowing a 2-0 lead and being down almost 50 against the Mavs

Being down 30 at halftime this year.

I count 3 embarrassing meltdowns in 3 years.

I imagine that you assume there is some other coach who would’ve outperformed Monty Williams each of those years.

Obviously this cannot be known. But the suns have never had a lead in the finals nor won 64 regular season games in their history before Monty Williams.

I doubt Steve Kerr or Greg poopyvich would’ve done any better than Williams. Maybe they would’ve had more respectable losses at the end.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I just think that Ayton needs a reboot elsewhere.
Perhaps but we're kind of in a bind and can't really afford to part with a number one pick without receiving close to number one pick value. Right now I think our chances of him playing like a number 1 are greater than our chances of getting that in return for him in a trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m willing to give JJ a break. Despite our bench there was not even a plan on how to play them. Also three years in a row despite the roster, the same patterns have shown through and through with Monty.
I'm on the fence. There are a lot of things that have happened (and not happened) during his time as GM that have me concerned. I'm willing to give him more rope if Ishbia believes that Sarver was a real impediment to him succeeding but if JJ really had control, he needs to go too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We shall see. Kyler was a little ******* and the moment the coach was out he is suddenly engaged and Captain Az

Bad bosses never learn that talent is greater than your manager

I'm waiting to buy Kyler stock. He is buying in right now for the new guy, but lets see how he handles the next set of adversity. I think he's a front runner.

I think we are likely to see a similar run from Ayton. Buy in hard for the new guy (or new city) but revert back to his old self as soon as things get rough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m willing to give JJ a break. Despite our bench there was not even a plan on how to play them. Also three years in a row despite the roster, the same patterns have shown through and through with Monty.
JJ went bargain basement shopping last summer… after we got humiliated. He blew the 10th pick in the draft. He’s found zero diamonds in the rough.

He totally boofed the Crowder situation and it looks like wildly overpaid for KD (which might not all be his fault).

This team needs new leadership and a better eye for talent.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I imagine that you assume there is some other coach who would’ve outperformed Monty Williams each of those years.

Obviously this cannot be known. But the suns have never had a lead in the finals nor won 64 regular season games in their history before Monty Williams.

I doubt Steve Kerr or Greg poopyvich would’ve done any better than Williams. Maybe they would’ve had more respectable losses at the end.

Bruh

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the Suns are a destination for a new head coach.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. There are a lot of things that have happened (and not happened) during his time as GM that have me concerned. I'm willing to give him more rope if Ishbia believes that Sarver was a real impediment to him succeeding but if JJ really had control, he needs to go too.

I’m willing to go with what’s been known is that Sarver was meddling and cheap. Our new owner could also be meddling as well if he did push the KD trade through, he just isn’t cheap.
So I’m willing to see what JJ can do with an owner that’s willing to buy talent. I know the new cba doesn’t work in our favor.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Perhaps but we're kind of in a bind and can't really afford to part with a number one pick without receiving close to number one pick value. Right now I think our chances of him playing like a number 1 are greater than our chances of getting that in return for him in a trade.
If he plays like a #1 pick, then we don’t need to trade him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m willing to go with what’s been known is that Sarver was meddling and cheap. Our new owner could also be meddling as well if he did push the KD trade through, he just isn’t cheap.
So I’m willing to see what JJ can do with an owner that’s willing to buy talent. I know the new cba doesn’t work in our favor.

James Jones did trade Dario Saric before the trade deadline. This was mostly a money saving move.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the curse has been lifted wow fast acting gm nice :)

Pleaseee hire right hc nooo thomas or steve nash lol

420 mango dream rip to no more monty

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If he plays like a #1 pick, then we don’t need to trade him.
Not every number one pick nets a number one pick value in return. Not every number one pick plays to that level. Some number one picks are called busts. Busts don't get number one pick value....

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson