Suns Off-season Thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The above creates fodder for another Suns history comment. Why do you think Jerry Colangelo settled on trading Barkley for spare parts and junk? I think it was Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Chucky Brown, and...ehh....Mark Bryant. I've always found it hard to believe that he couldn't find a better deal. Not one draft pick?

I think he did Barkley a favor. That’s where Barkley wanted to go

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he did Barkley a favor. That’s where Barkley wanted to go

Yeah. Barkley was overweight and washed, not capable of carrying a team. Cassell and Horry was a good return considering the careers they went on to have, but they were a bad fit and there was a lot of bad blood from our back to back losses to the Rockets.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Said it last summer and still believe it… that mind boggling 4 year deal for Shamet is going to screw us when it comes time to pay Cam J. That money should have been earmarked for his eventual extension.

Only next season will overlap with a Cam J extension. It's a 3 year deal with a 4th year team option and the 3rd year isn't guaranteed. So it's about as team friendly as could be.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only next season will overlap with a Cam J extension. It's a 3 year deal with a 4th year team option and the 3rd year isn't guaranteed. So it's about as team friendly as could be.

You must be registered for see images attach
doesn't matter... it's money that Sarver is still going to have to shovel out this season for a guy who doesn't deserve it and could be tucked away to go towards Cam's extension. And then his salary in year 2 would absolutely overlap with the first year of Cam's extension after this upcoming season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree. Suns would have still lost with Gordon. Rest of the team was just not right the whole playoffs, and he would not have been enough of a difference to put us over the top.

I don't think this is a good move, unless it is a Dario + Shamet deal.
I honestly believe we do. Gordon is EXACTLY the type of player we needed when everyone goes cold.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
doesn't matter... it's money that Sarver is still going to have to shovel out this season for a guy who doesn't deserve it and could be tucked away to go towards Cam's extension. And then his salary in year 2 would absolutely overlap with the first year of Cam's extension after this upcoming season.

The sad part is that a good Landry Shamet is exactly what this team needs. Unfortunately, we didn’t get the good Landry Shamet.

Reaction score
Yeah. Barkley was overweight and washed, not capable of carrying a team. Cassell and Horry was a good return considering the careers they went on to have, but they were a bad fit and there was a lot of bad blood from our back to back losses to the Rockets.
Judging by https://www.chron.com/sports/rocket...rles-Barkley-trade-Cassell-Horry-16411105.php , Rockets fans think Barkley did very well for their team. They say the problem was that they traded away too much depth to get him, esp. at point guard. Having Barkley allowed the Rockets to finally defeat the SuperSonics by taking pressure off Olajuwon; but then their lack of depth alllowed the Jazz to beat them in the playoffs right after that.

Barkley could complain all he wanted about being old, but he was still a good scorer and great rebounder if properly motivated. This writer was saying Barkley "played like a man possessed" in their playoff series. He was sulking and refusing to cooperate in his last Suns season, it's as simple as that. If he had wanted to, he could have lost weight and gotten in shape.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Is there a "Good Shamet"?

His numbers this year almost exactly matched his career numbers. He is what he is.
Is there a season long ”good Shamet”? No, not really… But there is a periodically ”good Shamet” game to game, which is what I think each gm is chasing when they trade for him. They each think they can unlock that “good game Shamet” into a “good season Shamet”.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Is there a season long ”good Shamet”? No, not really… But there is a periodically ”good Shamet” game to game, which is what I think each gm is chasing when they trade for him. They each think they can unlock that “good game Shamet” into a “good season Shamet”.

That's "Town Drunk Syndrome" where every coach thinks they can bring out the best in a player no matter what his past history, just like the "good woman" trying to fix the town drunk in an old Western movie.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Bismack Biyombo meets with the Pope about his Foundation.

It would be nice to see Biz come back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Mainstreet, Do you think Bismack will want to return? Monty didn't use him all that much. Also McGhee said he would like to return but will the Suns sign him to return? McGhee surprised with his play. Both were bargains at $1M & $5M.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Obi Toppin would be nice. They are speculating in that article Cam Reddish/Obi Toppin for Jae/Cam Payne

Also...

You must be registered for see images

Interesting that there's only one guy not signed to a Suns contract in that graphic, AND he's hosting. Sounds like McGee might be planning an extended stay.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainstreet, Do you think Bismack will want to return? Monty didn't use him all that much. Also McGhee said he would like to return but will the Suns sign him to return? McGhee surprised with his play. Both were bargains at $1M & $5M.

I think it's more likely Bismack returns. Really like the guy and he is not all about the money.

McGee talked about doing what was best for his family so I wouldn't be shocked if he looks for the best contract wherever that may be.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obi Toppin would be nice. They are speculating in that article Cam Reddish/Obi Toppin for Jae/Cam Payne.

What article are you referencing? I did not see a link in the tweet or any speculation. I can't see NY being interested in a package of Crowder and Payne.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's more likely Bismack returns. Really like the guy and he is not all about the money.

McGee talked about doing what was best for his family so I wouldn't be shocked if he looks for the best contract wherever that may be.

Yeah he’s at the end of his career and he’s already got his rings. Go get the most money you can

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What article are you referencing? I did not see a link in the tweet or any speculation. I can't see NY being interested in a package of Crowder and Payne.

I haven't seen the article but the Knicks might be interested in giving Payne a look as a starting point guard. He seems to play better as a starter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Obi Toppin would be nice. They are speculating in that article Cam Reddish/Obi Toppin for Jae/Cam Payne

Also...

You must be registered for see images

Interesting that there's only one guy not signed to a Suns contract in that graphic, AND he's hosting. Sounds like McGee might be planning an extended stay.
I’d do that deal and find another pg.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson