OT: Deshaun Watson officially wants out of Houston

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. Watson right now is where we're hoping Murray will be in two years. Watson in his brief rookie season was better than anything we saw from Murray this year.

You trade for Watson because you want to accelerate your performance curve to where you're a potential Super Bowl contender right now. You have to believe you have the right coaching staff and defense in place to do that, as well as sufficient surrounding personnel, though.

Yup anyone not willing to get DW over KM is smoking a big fat LSD laced bowl....

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would offer K1 and a 3rd for Watson. Houston gets an immediate starter and can build around him. I don't think there is THAT much of a gap between them but DW is definitely better than K1.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a QBOF. If you want to make a trade, shoot for a #1 CB or top OG. Trading Murray for Watson isn’t much more than a lateral move, or a slight upgrade at best. IMO...

“lateral move”

:biglaugh:

Wow.....

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watson is clearly about 3 tiers above K1.

Kyler last season isn’t far off where Watson was his 2nd season, though.

But yea, we hope that Kyler in 2 years will be where Watson currently is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Watson is clearly about 3 tiers above K1.

Kyler last season isn’t far off where Watson was his 2nd season, though.

But yea, we hope that Kyler in 2 years will be where Watson currently is.

So... Kyler's second season isn't that far off from Watson recovering from ACL surgery? Devastating burn.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would offer K1 and a 3rd for Watson. Houston gets an immediate starter and can build around him. I don't think there is THAT much of a gap between them but DW is definitely better than K1.

They would say no. They have already stated the price.

It would be k1, another first, 2 seconds, and probably Budda Baker

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rams lunacy basically tanked any sort of reasonable swap. If you can get 2 firsts and a young QB for Matt freaking Stafford then they will hold out for a similar deal.

Sorry 2 firsts and a third

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly. He isn't worth the extra cost it would take to acquire him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rams lunacy basically tanked any sort of reasonable swap. If you can get 2 firsts and a young QB for Matt freaking Stafford then they will hold out for a similar deal.

They probably got a 1st as compensation for Goff's contract. Think Tom Gugliotta...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point was that the Texans offer seemed outrageous until the Rams validated it.

I don't think Watson is moving at that price.

I think the Stafford deal works out to be about a 1st rounder. The second 1st rounder and Goff's monster contract cancel each other out.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Watson is moving at that price.

I think the Stafford deal works out to be about a 1st rounder. The second 1st rounder and Goff's monster contract cancel each other out.

Still has a third attached to it.

You are just making a massive assumption of negative value though on the trade. Just because Saver does ******* trades doesn't mean that other teams do

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Sorry 2 firsts and a third
I don't believe this is the case. It is like being in a room of people and having to break a hundred dollar bill. If you have to do it, you just take whatever gets you closest to $100. Kyler Murray is the closest option that gets the Texans to a top 10 starting QB. No amount of future 1st round picks is as good. No combo of Tua or Sam or whatever is as good. The only close option would be the Dolphins including Xavien Howard or the Jets including Quinnen Williams and that is if the Texans like either of those 4 QBs you could take. Those are the only two players on those rosters which remotely move the needle.

The Stafford deal isn't a great gauge because the gap between 33 year old Stafford is not even close to being as big as the gap between Watson and Tua/JimmyG/Darnold/ZWilson/TeddyB/JFields.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You will also want to think about how likely it is the Texans want to do a trade with us again.

They should take the best offer. Kyler/1st is a pretty damn good considering their situation. Of course if Watson wasn’t unhappy the Texans never even consider it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/should-we-trade-watson.115537/

This is an interesting thread to see what the Texans fans think. As expected, they see the Rams deal as validation for an even greater deal for the Texans

Based on the Stafford/Goff deal, we should now easily be able to get three 1st rounders, multiple lower rounders, and a good player.

Or four 1st rounders, a couple other lower rounds, and a good player.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They should take the best offer. Kyler/1st is a pretty damn good considering their situation. Of course if Watson wasn’t unhappy the Texans never even consider it.
I don't even think you need the 1st. Kyler Murray would be the closest the Texans could get to a superstar QB and it is not very close.

Here is the thought exercise. How many first round picks would it take for you to trade Kyler Murray for Tua? Sam Darnold? Zach Wilson? Justin Fields? Jimmy G? The answer is essentially his value in a trade.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Still has a third attached to it.

You are just making a massive assumption of negative value though on the trade. Just because Saver does ******* trades doesn't mean that other teams do
I also think you can make a massive assumption of the positive value of Kyler's contract.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or some combo of players worth those picks. Like say Murray, Simmons, a first, and a second

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson