Cards\Giants Post Game chatter. 12/13/20

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Taysom Hill is a putrid QB. Cardinals better be ready to beat a pumped up Eagles team with Hurts under center.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let’s give credit where credit is due. Everyone was all over Vance and the defense when they struggled. Now it’s crickets about the defense. Let’s at least acknowledge the improvements made by the defense the last month or so.
Agreed. One week doesn't make a season though. If they carry this kinda performance out throughout the rest of the season then I'll be the first to congratulate them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can be happy with a win, especially with a defensive/ST win like we had vs the Giants, and still be disappointed with the offense.

Anyone with eyes can see it's really struggling. And all the same issues we have been complaining about for weeks were still these yesterday.

Yes, there were a couple of snaps under center but otherwise it was the same issues. Kyler looks like he just turns up after playing COD all week. He looks like he's never seen the defense before. He's snapping the ball and just looking around for an open guy rather than knowing who should be open based on the route they are running vs the defensive look. There's no throws with anticipation. No timing routes. He's late on a bunch of throws. He misses open guys.

When I watch Kyler play recently I feel like I'm watching sandlot football. Like he just turned up with some buddies after a few beers. He's extremely talented, which covers a lot of holes, but you can easily tell he isn't well prepared and/or doesn't understand fully what is happening around him. So many of his throws are "see open guy, throw to open guy".

Then you add in Kliff's play calling, the limited route tree/misuse of Hopkins (although it was better yesterday), the lack of deep passing (not one pass over 20 yards yesterday and 18 of 24 completed passes inside 10), the run game mostly sucks (I joked yesterday that Drake had changed his name to "Drake for a gain of two") especially through the 1st half when the defense isn't gassed (Drake has a habit of getting is yards late so his numbers aren't so trash) and there are whole route trees and basic NFL concepts completely missing from our playbook.

The only bright spots still remaining on offense are the pass protection from the O line (I thought they did very well vs a pass rush that destroyed the Seahawks) and Hopkins.

It was flattered by yesterdays score due to a bunch of short fields, a lot of possession and several FG's.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fwiw the cardinals at one point in the game out gained the nyg football team by 200 yards. Maybe it has to do with the QB play for the Giants. I'm not a fan of Daniel Jones. He turns the ball over way too often for my liking.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fwiw the cardinals at one point in the game out gained the nyg football team by 200 yards. Maybe it has to do with the QB play for the Giants. I'm not a fan of Daniel Jones. He turns the ball over way too often for my liking.

Pretty sure that was mostly due to the Giants first 4 drives going for something like 13 yards

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Giants returned to form of first six games. Jones is a fumbling machine. Eagles will come in with some confidence so I expect the Cards to be ready. All remaining games are playoff games.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will just put out there that the Giants defense is a legit squad. I agree we didn't have great red zone success, but that is a tough unit to score against.

Also, nice to see Simmons gets over 50% of snaps on defense. I don't love Murphy's slot only roll but 60% snap rate is tough to complain about.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here are the snaps for those interested.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here are the snaps for those interested.

I didn't realize Murray started at RG yesterday. That explains why the OL was so much better.

Jordan Philips only 4 snaps. Wonder if he hurt himself again or they held him out because they didn't need him?

I know Reddick had a blinder but I don't like Vance playing him 96% of snaps while Kennard and Gardeck barely see the field. Especially when Gardeck had 2 sacks on 8 snaps. Got to rotate a bit more and keep them fresh.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
vs. this time last year:

2019: 3-9-1 -102
2020: 7-6 +55

2019: worst margin of loss -27
best margin of victory: +6
One score games: 3-5-1

2020: Worst margin of loss: -10
Best margin of victory: +28
One score games: 3-4

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I didn't realize Murray started at RG yesterday. That explains why the OL was so much better.

Jordan Philips only 4 snaps. Wonder if he hurt himself again or they held him out because they didn't need him?

I know Reddick had a blinder but I don't like Vance playing him 96% of snaps while Kennard and Gardeck barely see the field. Especially when Gardeck had 2 sacks on 8 snaps. Got to rotate a bit more and keep them fresh.
Yes. It took me a minute as well to recognize Sweezy didn't just turn dark and then the same with Pugh when he went out and Murray flipped over.

You can definitely make an argument that Murray is better than Sweezy but I am not certain you can make the argument that Murray is good.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't realize he played every snap.

He actually bounced back and forth between LG and RG (I think the Cardinals were rotating IOL every other series).

I think Pugh left the game in the 2nd half. I think he was RG until then but moved to LG when Pugh went down with Sweezy coming in at RG.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. It took me a minute as well to recognize Sweezy didn't just turn dark and then the same with Pugh when he went out and Murray flipped over.

You can definitely make an argument that Murray is better than Sweezy but I am not certain you can make the argument that Murray is good.

I'm as surprised as anyone, but I think it's been evident in every game Murray has played that the line is better with him that without him.

I will say he's much better at pass pro then run blocking but then that goes for the whole line.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
vs. this time last year:

2019: 3-9-1 -102
2020: 7-6 +55

2019: worst margin of loss -27
best margin of victory: +6
One score games: 3-5-1

2020: Worst margin of loss: -10
Best margin of victory: +28
One score games: 3-4

You can look at anything over a wide enough margin and find an uptick. You could go back to the stock market crash in February this year and say "Well it's still better than late 2017" which wouldn't make you feel any better if you invested at any time since then.

It's a simple fact. The offense was much better earlier in the season and it's gotten worse. I don't know why people need try obfuscate that simple fact with "Yeah but it's better than 2019". 2019 is done and gone.

We were 6-3. We are now 7-6. We have lost to several teams recently we should have beat. We completely one pass the whole first half of the Rams. We got beat by the Pats and the Ram's destroyed them last week.

The most concerning part is that Kliff has shown no sign of knowing how to fix it. We won yesterday thanks to several turnovers and short fields in a game we should have scored 40+.

If the offense continues to play like it is we will lose against the Rams for sure, we may well lose against the Niners and Eagles too.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, we may well lose, but, we may well win, if they play like they did yesterday, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson