Futures: Isaiah Simmons (LB, Clemson) – Football Outsiders

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Simmons but my immediate impression after watching this is that he is too small to play inside against the run. Might be a great safety ala Adub but I don't see him playing a huge every-down run stopping role inside the box or setting the edge.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Simmons but my immediate impression after watching this is that he is too small to play inside against the run. Might be a great safety ala Adub but I don't see him playing a huge every-down run stopping role inside the box or setting the edge.

Him and hicks combined would be okay I would think. Id rather have a guy like this than a mediocre josh bynes type.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bynes is a better player then what we had recently, that's why is one of the best rated ILB free agents

for sure.

But to discount simmons who should be better than bynes, we would have killed to have bynes last year.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great article and I agree whole heartedly you run to the podium if he is there. Sadly I think he is a lock for #7

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Simmons: 6'4" 229lbs

Hicks: 6'1" 236lbs
Bobby Wagner: 6'1" 241lbs
Kuechly: 6'3" 235lbs
Pat Willis: 6'1" 240lbs

With his versatility..... Do we care if he will never be an enforcer? I haven't seen anything regarding missed tackles as an issue, and I sure never saw him miss one when I was watching.

With that being said, it's not like the guy is small for a WILB in a 3-4 scheme. He's probably got another 5 to 10lbs to gain as he matures anyways.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

With his versatility..... Do we care if he will never be an enforcer? I haven't seen anything regarding missed tackles as an issue, and I sure never saw him miss one when I was watching.

With that being said, it's not like the guy is small for a WILB in a 3-4 scheme. He's probably got another 5 to 10lbs to gain as he matures anyways.

Daryl Washington 6'2" 226
Luke Kuechly 6'3" 238
Roquan Smith 6'1" 223

Don't see size being an issue, he'll put on muscle in the NFL too, everyone does

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

you think he’s to small? He’s huge. 6’4 230lbs and hasn’t got in an NFL weight room yet.

that’s why people think he’s so special

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tremaine Edmunds is 6'5 250. 1 inch taller and 20 lbs heavier.

Urlacher was over 250.

VanderEsch 256 at the combine at the same height.

I'm not saying it can't work, but tall and lean LBs who do not have LB instincts rarely translate to the NFL level.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

All of those guys have years of LB instincts to mitigate their size...Simmons doesn't. And don't get me wrong, I have posts on here during last draft's prep that I loved him.

Simmons is an awesome chess piece but teams will target him vs the run and he will struggle. His lack of run pursuit instincts will be targeted by OCs. If you stick him as a base LB, you will be playing to his worst traits.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kam Chancelor was 6'3 230. Hopefully that helps frame his size with a recent NFL body. Best thing you can do with Simmons is have him as a base S and sub package LB.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Tremaine Edmunds is 6'5 250. 1 inch taller and 20 lbs heavier.

Urlacher was over 250.

VanderEsch 256 at the combine at the same height.

I'm not saying it can't work, but tall and lean LBs who do not have LB instincts rarely translate to the NFL level.
3-4 ILB's.

think Derrick Johnson (6'3" 242lbs) or Sean Lee (6'2" 229lbs).

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d compare Simmons frame to someone like Fred Warner.

Same weight, but Simmons is just an inch taller(unofficial)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Summons is an excellent football player and fills a big need. Don’t nitpick to talk yourself out drafting him.

every prospect has question marks.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Kam Chancelor was 6'3 230. Hopefully that helps frame his size with a recent NFL body. Best thing you can do with Simmons is have him as a base S and sub package LB.
Definately take that. He can get home either way, and you know that his best trait will be 3rd downs! We could be looking at running a 3-3-5 base and 3-2-6 sub packages.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a greater tackling force at one of the two safety positions, and Simmons could fill that need.

Whether or not he'd fit at any of the LB positions depends on how we scheme defensively

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
This swiff knive thing often gets out of control because it makes for a nice story. See Reddick, Haason. Bucannon, Deone. Reddick should've been an edge rusher all along that can do some other things like occasionally drop into coverage. Buc should've been a SS who can come into the box. Instead, both were played out of position and never found consistency aside from a few splash plays. Simmons is a LB period. To be more precise he is a prototype 4-3 SLB that can cover but also blitz if needed. In a 3-4 this role is somewhere between OLB and ILB. He won't ever play in the slot or cover anybody from a traditional safety alignment. He would get roasted by slot WRs or really any type of WR.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
SO if both Simmons and Lamb are sitting there at #8 who do you take? I personally would take Simmons every time.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The argument about Simmons as a pro prospect that I've found fairly persuasive is that he's such a unique talent that you have to design your defense with him as the centerpiece. I think that this is a major reason why Hasson Reddick has failed. You can direct your other players to support a unique talent, but that unique talent quickly becomes a square peg in a round hole when asked to support others.

IMO, both Reddick and Bucannon were fine when directed to shoot a gap that is opened for them by play from the defensive lines in front of them. They struggled when asked to cover a gap or read and react or anticipate a route combination.

If you select Simmons, you're probably diminishing the ability of someone like Budda Baker to make instinctive plays to promote Simmons'. Does that make you better? I don't know. I've said it before: I think this front office thinks a lot more of Baker than I do.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Corey Chavous made the point that Brent Venables, Clemsons D coordinator designed the D around him

so watching him play all these positions and do it well sets the imagination running

but i think any team that takes him has to decide:

is he a safety with great size who can help vs the run

or is he a 3 down LB who can really cover without being a liability vs the run

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Corey Chavous made the point that Brent Venables, Clemsons D coordinator designed the D around him

so watching him play all these positions and do it well sets the imagination running

but i think any team that takes him has to decide:

is he a safety with great size who can help vs the run

or is he a 3 down LB who can really cover without being a liability vs the run
He can't be a 3 down ILB at this point in his career IMO he doesn't have the instincts near line of scrimmage against the run good at blitzing good in coverage, but doesn't have feel in run game. I've had this opinion for awhile watched more tape and still feel this way he is a player you have to design a scheme for his abilities. I would rather sign Littleton and know you are getting a ILB to play ILB

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson