Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I hear “nobody is going to pay him that” every year. Then jaws drop at FA. One team bro, one team!!!

How much & how long are you willing to sign him.
But if you look at last years f/a running backs and what they signed for I don’t think there are many teams that will be out there bidding for his services. At least not paying him outrageous money. The trend in the NFL currently devalues runningbacks. I don’t believe Drake is going to change that trend.

We can no longer compare the market to Gurley, Bell and even Elliott. I think Elliott will be the last one for a while. There are other F/a’s out there like Breida and Ekeler that we could turn to IF needed. I’m hoping Drake feels like he’s found a home.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I hear “nobody is going to pay him that” every year. Then jaws drop at FA. One team bro, one team!!!

How much & how long are you willing to sign him.
and I am always ok with letting other teams make bad decisions. The Cardinals should have a number around the 5.5 mil range and should not budge from it. If someone else wants to pay more, let them.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
and I am always ok with letting other teams make bad decisions. The Cardinals should have a number around the 5.5 mil range and should not budge from it. If someone else wants to pay more, let them.
Dead on! Exactly why I think he won’t be a Cardinal. I’d take Dobbins from OSU in a heartbeat. The guy looks every bit as good as Zeke

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dead on! Exactly why I think he won’t be a Cardinal. I’d take Dobbins from OSU in a heartbeat. The guy looks every bit as good as Zeke
I agree with chopper. 20-22 m 4 years. Key will be signing bonus. 12 m signing bonus I think would do it. If he is a bum then cut him after 2 years and we’re looking at a 6 m cap hit.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought.

If the Chargers were willing to pay Gordon 10m last year...they probably wouldn't have a problem paying Drake 6-8m.
True but they have Ekeler that they should be more than happy to keep and I’m sure will use that as leverage.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Agree. Let him walk and draft a guy. Don't pay big money to RB's unless it's short term. Dobbins would be excellent in round 2. Etienne too. The kid from LSU is good too. Another guy I like, and I only saw him play once, is the RB from Vandy. LSU couldn't handle him.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
True but they have Ekeler that they should be more than happy to keep and I’m sure will use that as leverage.

Ekeler is a restricted free agent as well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He's not just another pretty face.. and this is just another thing he does better than DJ.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does this mean Drake blocks the best, or, he received the best blocking on his runs?

I believe it means he performed the best with the blocks given to him.

To me I see that big of a statistical outlier and I think regression is coming. Most good backs are in the 70s

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I believe it means he performed the best with the blocks given to him.

To me I see that big of a statistical outlier and I think regression is coming. Most good backs are in the 70s

I'm not so sure it's not about the ability to block...just reading the comments on the Tweet. Someone asked for a definition, though...it hasn't be replied to yet. People are mentioning that several played for Saban and that he coaches them to block.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe how people are content just letting a guy walk away when he jump started this offense.

crazy just to think “draft a guy and everything will be fine.” One thing not mentioned is his yards after contact. Seemed like every time he carried the ball he fell forward for 3 or 4 yards. Keep him.

many of you are assuming he’s going to break the bank. I think everybody would be happy to have him back if it’s a moderate contract.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can’t believe how people are content just letting a guy walk away when he jump started this offense.

crazy just to think “draft a guy and everything will be fine.” One thing not mentioned is his yards after contact. Seemed like every time he carried the ball he fell forward for 3 or 4 yards. Keep him.

many of you are assuming he’s going to break the bank. I think everybody would be happy to have him back if it’s a moderate contract.
Running backs are important but easily replaceable. Yes, there is a number that most people on this board would like him back for. On the flip side, there have been numerous examples of running backs wanting more than what teams ultimately want to pay them.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I totally agree. Sign him. He won't be overpriced, and the cap space is there. And - very importantly - he seems to want to be here. That's huge to me.

Drafting another guy is a total crapshoot. Does anyone really want to see another Beanie Wells? While watching Drake kick azz for another team next year?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I totally agree. Sign him. He won't be overpriced, and the cap space is there. And - very importantly - he seems to want to be here. That's huge to me.

Drafting another guy is a total crapshoot. Does anyone really want to see another Beanie Wells? While watching Drake kick azz for another team next year?

Beanie had a knee, not a talent issue.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

The dude hasn't celebrated with anything but "pay me" since he got here and you think he's gonna take a team friendly deal?

He jump started this offense but hasn't been a good player for the rest of his career. Paying a guy for 3 100 yard games and a mediocre rest of his career is such a Cardinals move, especially when that money desperately needs to go to other positions where we don't even have starters or backups under contract.

Where in the hell was the guy who seemingly "jump started our offense" against Tampa, the 2nd SF game, the Pittsburgh game? He fell off the map after one good game, then ran roughshod on a Cleveland team in disarray.

I'd give him $8M per year on a 4 year deal.

Clearly Drake fits this offense perfectly and I want him back.
You wanna pay $8m per for a guy who hasn't ever had a 1,000 yard season?

I haven't seen anything to indicate he won't be overpriced and wants to play here. Hell, he was on the radio a few weeks ago and wouldn't even give a clear answer about it. Remember, he keeps flashing "pay me" signs. He's clearly all about the money.

I would rather watch another Beanie Wells on a rookie contract instead of having $24 million dollars tied up in the RB position, stuck with tons of dead cap, just to watch Kenyan Drake do what he's done his entire career - fail to rack up 1,000 all-purpose yards.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dude hasn't celebrated with anything but "pay me" since he got here and you think he's gonna take a team friendly deal?

He jump started this offense but hasn't been a good player for the rest of his career. Paying a guy for 3 100 yard games and a mediocre rest of his career is such a Cardinals move, especially when that money desperately needs to go to other positions where we don't even have starters or backups under contract.

Where in the hell was the guy who seemingly "jump started our offense" against Tampa, the 2nd SF game, the Pittsburgh game? He fell off the map after one good game, then ran roughshod on a Cleveland team in disarray.

You wanna pay $8m per for a guy who hasn't ever had a 1,000 yard season?

I haven't seen anything to indicate he won't be overpriced and wants to play here. Hell, he was on the radio a few weeks ago and wouldn't even give a clear answer about it. Remember, he keeps flashing "pay me" signs. He's clearly all about the money.

I would rather watch another Beanie Wells on a rookie contract instead of having $24 million dollars tied up in the RB position, stuck with tons of dead cap, just to watch Kenyan Drake do what he's done his entire career - fail to rack up 1,000 all-purpose yards.
Come on Solar. Derrick Henry had 44 yards against Jacksonville, 28 yards adainst Dallas, and 63 yards against Carolina. What a bum.

drake will not set the market. When his agent shows him what the market will bear he will sign a contract or play in Canada. Wow, he open the vault celebrating a td. Big Deal. Truth be said if he signs a 4 year 18m contract it will be more money than he ever dreamed of. In essence , opening the vault.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You wanna pay $8m per for a guy who hasn't ever had a 1,000 yard season
I’d be more alarmed if he already had a 1,000 yard season(or more) which would tell me there wouldn’t be much tread on those tires unlike now.

Not sure why you’re more focus on total yards as opposed to YPC anyway.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Come on Solar. Derrick Henry had 44 yards against Jacksonville, 28 yards adainst Dallas, and 63 yards against Carolina. What a bum.

drake will not set the market. When his agent shows him what the market will bear he will sign a contract or play in Canada. Wow, he open the vault celebrating a td. Big Deal. Truth be said if he signs a 4 year 18m contract it will be more money than he ever dreamed of. In essence , opening the vault.
Derrick Henry ran for nearly 2x the yards Drake did, and looked outright dominant. Henry's worst year would be Drake's 2nd best.

Drake has had 5 career 100 yard games in four years. Henry had 8 this year alone, with four above 180 yards. 12 for his career.

Drake is a pedestrian player.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running backs are important but easily replaceable. Yes, there is a number that most people on this board would like him back for. On the flip side, there have been numerous examples of running backs wanting more than what teams ultimately want to pay them.
Totally get it. It’s just that a lot of people are taken aback by the “open the vault” celebration. Kenyon Drake is NOT going to set the market. We also have to realize if he were to sign a 4 year 20m contract with some that is more money then he probably ever dreamed of. Thus “ opening the vault”. I’m guessing with a fair contract there wouldn’t be very many people that wouldn’t want him back.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derrick Henry ran for nearly 2x the yards Drake did, and looked outright dominant. Henry's worst year would be Drake's 2nd best.

Drake has had 5 career 100 yard games in four years. Henry had 8 this year alone, with four above 180 yards. 12 for his career.

Drake is a pedestrian player.
Compared to Henry you are right. That’s exactly why him and his agent will not set the market.
Solar do you want Drake back if he signed a reasonable contract?

I just dont understand why there are some that believe he is going to cost so much.

Drake also only played 8 games with the Cards . Prorate his output over 16 games and he has 1300 rushing and 15 td’s. That not to shabby but it’s not going to command an outrageous dollar amount. And if he’s thinking 10m a year then yes let him walk. Another bargaining chip for the cards is that he isn’t their only option.

I saw him run with speed, toughness , yards after contact and purpose. Something as Cards fan we have forgot.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’d be more alarmed if he already had a 1,000 yard season(or more) which would tell me there wouldn’t be much tread on those tires unlike now.

Not sure why you’re more focus on total yards as opposed to YPC anyway.
Because YPC isn't a truly consistent stat and can be ramped up by one long run? Dude breaks one long 80 yard run and it messes with everything because he's normally running for 2.7 (just taking a stab here, not a true stat). It's like Tim Hightower having a 8.2 YPC in the 2009 playoffs. He only had 13 carries, but hey, one was huge! The rest sucked.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Compared to Henry you are right. That’s exactly why him and his agent will not set the market.
Solar do you want Drake back if he signed a reasonable contract?

I just dont understand why there are some that believe he is going to cost so much.
It depends on what you consider reasonable. I only want him back if he is dirt cheap. I don't believe he is very good, and this team has other holes and priorities. Can't spend over $20m at RB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson