Welcome Ty Jerome

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've changed the rules, it's only 2 days now that a team has to decide to match or not, unlike the 7 or 10 days it used to be. For the Suns I think the risk would be worth it.

I didn't realize that, thanks for the correction.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they'd have to move or stretch Johnson to make it work.

Sadly, I think they're going to try and roll their cap to next year and give a couple vets a 1 year overpay.

so, I've seen a couple people mention this, that we've got a lot of expirings next year for a lot of cap room... but wouldn't most of that go away if they resign Oubre to what's likely to be at least 15 million per year and likely more, considering they pretty much HAVE to sign him at this point or be earmarked to be the worst team in the league in next year?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so, I've seen a couple people mention this, that we've got a lot of expirings next year for a lot of cap room... but wouldn't most of that go away if they resign Oubre to what's likely to be at least 15 million per year and likely more, considering they pretty much HAVE to sign him at this point or be earmarked to be the worst team in the league in next year?

I think they are earmarked to be the worst team in the league next year whether or not they re-sign Oubre.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Heady smart player who just knows how to win.

PG is a competition still. With three young players developing and Johnson at this moment. We could be much worse off there.

MW likes Johnson a hell of a lot from reports.
A rookie that you can say a lot of the same things about was the rookie of the year last year. Doncic is bigger and is a better athlete than Jerome, but he looked like a straight up star at times this year and it was his savvy and IQ that was the biggest reason for that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

After dumping Warren today our committed salary for the summer of 2020 is somewhere around 60 million, probably a tad under, I don't know the exact figure because I don't know how much the rookies are going to make. Even adding Oubre for 15-17 million would still have them way under the cap and they could save another 9 million by either trading Jackson or not picking up his 4th year option. So, with Oubre and minus Jackson, we'd be like 40-45 million under a 110-115 cap.

But, I am as skeptical as you are that they'd find a good home for all that money, that free agent class looks pretty craptastic. If we actually had the chance to use 20ish million on a player of the caliber of Brogdon now then they should do it, I think he'd have a massive impact for us on both and and is an ideal player to put next to Booker.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A better shooting Casey Jacobsen who will never be able to create his own shot....... Yay!

#RolePlayer

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you were listening to Bilas last night, he is Klay light. "Excellent on shooting off of screens. Very quick and high release. Constantly moving." I don't have hopes for that necessarily, but the Suns DO need competent shooters.

Edit: Sorry, this was in regards to Johnson, not Jerome. I do like having a smart player like Jerome and I like the pick. Is he Ja Morant? Of course not. But the Suns have [had] a lot of stupid on the court that they need to weed out.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were listening to Bilas last night, he is Klay light. "Excellent on shooting off of screens. Very quick and high release. Constantly moving." I don't have hopes for that necessarily, but the Suns DO need competent shooters.

Jerome reminds me a bit of Jeff Hornacek when he was a player.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jerome is a guy who knows how to play the game. That may sound like he doesn't have any skills that stand out but in today's game where people focus on athleticism and flash, if you don't have basketball IQ you end up with an Emmanuel Mudiay or Dennis Smith Jr. Those two are quick and can jump out the gym but their basketball IQ is very low.

Even though Jerome isn't an elite athlete he was nearly unstoppable in the tournament as he is very difficult to defend. He is a tall PG so he can shoot over smaller guys and is very crafty getting to the basket. He can play off ball but is a great ball handler, he can shoot and has great court vision. He doesn't turn the ball over and is actually a pretty good defender because if his size and craftiness. He is actually a pretty good rebounder for a G as well. If he had a 36 inch vert or a fast agility lane drill he would have went in Top 10. I think he is going to be a great fit with Booker because they are taller guys who can shoot and handle the ball. They should compliment each other very well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jerome is a guy who knows how to play the game. That may sound like he doesn't have any skills that stand out but in today's game where people focus on athleticism and flash, if you don't have basketball IQ you end up with an Emmanuel Mudiay or Dennis Smith Jr. Those two are quick and can jump out the gym but their basketball IQ is very low.

Even though Jerome isn't an elite athlete he was nearly unstoppable in the tournament as he is very difficult to defend. He is a tall PG so he can shoot over smaller guys and is very crafty getting to the basket. He can play off ball but is a great ball handler, he can shoot and has great court vision. He doesn't turn the ball over and is actually a pretty good defender because if his size and craftiness. He is actually a pretty good rebounder for a G as well. If he had a 36 inch vert or a fast agility lane drill he would have went in Top 10. I think he is going to be a great fit with Booker because they are taller guys who can shoot and handle the ball. They should compliment each other very well.

Too bad that outside of De"Andre Ayton, our frontcourt is historically awful...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

His success will entirely rest on whether the leap in athleticism to the nba is too much for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Ty Jerome has had some hip problems in the past much like Cam Johnson. Hopefully this stuff is all in the past for both players.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It looks like Ty Jerome has had some hip problems in the past much like Cam Johnson. Hopefully this stuff is all in the past for both players.

Because of course he does.

Did the Suns bring any of these guys in for in person evaluations? Oh yeah, that's right - they didn't want to "tip their hand" that they were interested in Johnson, for fear someone might still him out from under them. Lulz...

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I thought labrum were in the shoulders?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Because of course he does.

Did the Suns bring any of these guys in for in person evaluations? Oh yeah, that's right - they didn't want to "tip their hand" that they were interested in Johnson, for fear someone might still him out from under them. Lulz...
Do you honestly think that our entire front office are complete idiots? Of course they brought these guys in and looked into their medical records. It's not like our front office guys have never been a part of the draft process before. Also despite what seems to be popular belief the Suns do have a medical staff that almost certainly looked at those records. Here is the staff by the way:

Medical Staff
  • Dr. Tom Carter: Head Team Physician (Orthopedist)
  • Dr. Tom Fiel: Team Physician (Internal Medicine)
  • Dr. Tim Byrne: Cardiologist
  • Dr. Monte Hessler: Chiropractor
  • Dr. John Badolato: Dentist
  • Dr. William Ko: Dermatologist
  • Dr. Jay Schwartz: Ophthalmologist
  • Dr. Ryan Rehl: Otolaryngology (ENT)
  • Dr. Ryan Golub: Podiatrist
  • Jay McCoy: Psychiatrist
  • Dr. V "Bob" Evani: Surgeon
https://www.nba.com/suns/directory/staff#gref

Raindog

Reaction score

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oh, you're right - because these guys have stumbled into positions of authority under one of the most inept owners in sports, then surely their decisions are much better than everyone critiquing them.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/21/Appeal-to-Authority
How is that appealing to authority? Did I say "so and so said they are smarter than you so that means that they are"? No I simply stated that I can deduct that they are very likely to know a lot more about running an NBA franchise than some random dude on the internet that almost certainly has ZERO experience with the inner workings of an NBA team.

That being said whether you like their moves or not this team is better off right now than they were 2 days ago. They are much better constructed as a roster than before, they have a lot more shooting than they did prior and they have a little more cap flexibility to make something happen in free agency.

Raindog

Reaction score
How is that appealing to authority? Did I say "so and so said they are smarter than you so that means that they are"? No I simply stated that I can deduct that they are very likely to know a lot more about running an NBA franchise than some random dude on the internet that almost certainly has ZERO experience with the inner workings of an NBA team.

That being said whether you like their moves or not this team is better off right now than they were 2 days ago. They are much better constructed as a roster than before, they have a lot more shooting than they did prior and they have a little more cap flexibility to make something happen in free agency.

The fallacy of appealing to authority is asserting that because someone is in a position of supposed authority in some area, they therefore are "more correct" than anyone else who is not in the same position of authority... ergo, pretty much what you are asserting.

At the end of the day, the vast majority of people working in sports are frankly no smarter at their jobs than many people not doing so for whatever circumstances deem it so. Same as in many other jobs. Working in the front office of most sports organizations doesn't entail years or decades of specialized training or some kind of academic program... it's not like being a doctor or a jet pilot. Many of these folks who end up in these roles (i.e., ex-athletes, most often) don't necessarily even have college degrees. A great number of them end up where they are through connections and public profile. Hence, not by any definition any smarter than vast numbers of "non-professionals" who through application of simple logic and reason know a bad decision when they see it.

And I don't agree that the Suns are ahead of where they were two days ago. They are out one legitimate NBA scoring threat, one top ten draft pick, and one future first round pick of indeterminate value. And for all that, all they have gained is one questionable prospect (Saric), and a bunch of bench fodder that no one was (or is) especially enthusiastic about, with lots of injury and athleticism question marks surrounding them.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Many of us know more about asset management than they do, yes. I state this with confidence.
I don't doubt that. I do doubt that you have as good of an eye for talent as they do though. They also have access to way more information than of us do. Which means it is much easier for them to make a much more informed decision.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The fallacy of appealing to authority is asserting that because someone is in a position of supposed authority in some area, they therefore are "more correct" than anyone else who is not in the same position of authority... ergo, pretty much what you are asserting.

At the end of the day, the vast majority of people working in sports are frankly no smarter at their jobs than many people not doing so for whatever circumstances deem it so. Same as in many other jobs. Working in the front office of most sports organizations doesn't entail years or decades of specialized training or some kind of academic program... it's not like being a doctor or a jet pilot. Many of these folks who end up in these roles (i.e., ex-athletes, most often) don't necessarily even have college degrees. A great number of them end up where they are through connections and public profile. Hence, not by any definition any smarter than vast numbers of "non-professionals" who through application of simple logic and reason know a bad decision when they see it.

And I don't agree that the Suns are ahead of where they were two days ago. They are out one legitimate NBA scoring threat, one top ten draft pick, and one future first round pick of indeterminate value. And for all that, all they have gained is one questionable prospect (Saric), and a bunch of bench fodder that no one was (or is) especially enthusiastic about, with lots of injury and athleticism question marks surrounding them.
Playing on and managing NBA teams absolutely gives you better insight on what it takes to build said team. Jones has been on a ton of good teams and has seen first hand what it takes for those teams to be successful from a team construction standpoint. He has also played with and been around a ton of great basketball players on a daily basis and has seen the type of mindset and work ethic that those guys tend to have. So yes I think the odds are very much in his favor that he knows more about this stuff than most fans do. Jones may end up being a colossal failure as a GM, but I would bet that would have more to do with negotiation skills or something of that nature and not necessarily talent evaluation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson