Welcome to the 2019 NBA Draft thread.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't hang onto an asset because you "hope" that a team will get injuries. A late-20s pick for Aron Baynes and 24 is actually pretty good value.

Please clarify. I just got off work. The Suns traded away their #1 pick for next year or did we receive the Bucks #1 pick for next year?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We literally need bodies for bigs. We only had Ayton on contract for before tonight.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't hang onto an asset because you "hope" that a team will get injuries. A late-20s pick for Aron Baynes and 24 is actually pretty good value.

Ohhhh...never mind. Listening to the trade. I had it all wrong. OK. so we traded away a pick from the Bucks. I got it now.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It is highly unlikely that any team will give the 6'10", 260-pounder much playing time, but with an expiring salary of just $5.4 million, he is an affordable option for a team in need of center depth.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what happened today.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Not when you are stuck with a non-NBA player eating up a roster spot and cap space that you just traded away major assets to acquire.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is highly unlikely that any team will give the 6'10", 260-pounder much playing time, but with an expiring salary of just $5.4 million, he is an affordable option for a team in need of center depth.

Well, we'll give him tons of playing time, since we have a roster full of scrubs at this point and will have no choice but to play him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Giving up the MIL pick is fine. It's sacrificing the cap space that hurts. Maybe the Suns weren't going to attract anyone anyway, but now they can't even try. The roster as it stands won't win 25 games.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the Suns will be releasing a "statement" after the #32 pick is made. We can all imagine what that statement will be.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Giving up the MIL pick is fine. It's sacrificing the cap space that hurts. Maybe the Suns weren't going to attract anyone anyway, but now they can't even try. The roster as it stands won't win 25 games.

It's a mess. A team managed by people who haven't got a clue what they are doing. But at least that has been consistent since Sarver took over.

Even worse case scenario is Oubre bolting for greener pastures and Suns left with nothing worthwhile on which to spend the marginal cap space they do have.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This roster as it stands won't win 10 games.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I will give myself a pat on the back for the "Bol Bol slips to the 2nd round" prediction.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Not when you are stuck with a non-NBA player eating up a roster spot and cap space that you just traded away major assets to acquire.
Warren had no place on the team with them moving ahead with Oubre. He also doesn't stay healthy. Would he have been happy coming off the bench? The Suns obviously were not happy paying him starters salary for that role. That is obvious.

Culver would have what role with this team? Yes...a b/u. Unproven, just like C. Johnson is, but with a poorer range.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warren had no place on the team with them moving ahead with Oubre. He also doesn't stay healthy. Would he have been happy coming off the bench? The Suns obviously were not happy paying him starters salary for that role. That is obvious.

Culver would have what role with this team? Yes...a b/u. Unproven, just like C. Johnson is, but with a poorer range.

And when Oubre is gone as well? And Culver, while he was my worst case scenario at 6, at least has NBA talent. Back-up talent, but NBA talent nonetheless. Johnson can shoot and nothing else. He is a 6'8" Trajan Langdon. He will be out of the league and playing in Europe in 2 years.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol all I see is 32nd pick PHX and it's another wing! I know it's going to Miami but still funny

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised Bol Bol is still on the board. Weren't there people who wanted the Suns to reach for him at #6? I knew he'd fall but I thought late teens or early twenties.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
And when Oubre is gone as well? And Culver, while he was my worst case scenario at 6, at least has NBA talent. Back-up talent, but NBA talent nonetheless. Johnson can shoot and nothing else. He is a 6'8" Trajan Langdon. He will be out of the league and playing in Europe in 2 years.
Oubre isn't going anywhere. That's about as done a deal as you can get. They will have four sure pieces, along with Johnson who is starting caliber. Then you still have the wild card in JJ still.

They still have youth and will have plenty of Cap room next year to add to the mix. They will be better overall with better chemistry and experience.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oubre isn't going anywhere. That's about as done a deal as you can get. They will have four sure pieces, along with Johnson who is starting caliber. Then you still have the wild card in JJ still.

In what universe is Johnson (Tyler OR Cam) NBA starting caliber?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised Bol Bol is still on the board. Weren't there people who wanted the Suns to reach for him at #6? I knew he'd fall but I thought late teens or early twenties.

I saw some clips (and tried to link them here but they didn't work) of him in situations that involved literally ANY physical contact. He cant set a screen, like he deliberately avoids contact with the man he is screening, in the paint or even the high post, defenders that were much shooter than him were easily able to push him several feet back and his rebounding instincts just don't exist. Guys he should easily board over him would zip around him and out jump him for the ball as he just stood flat footed hoping the ball would fall to him.

I don't think he will ever be a rotation player. He's going to be an end of the bench novelty that the crowd will get a kick out of when games get out of hand.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buuuuut he’s not 19. He’s an older, unathletic, narrow framed shooter.

I agree, and I've said it several times. I'm at a loss to explain why we drafted this guy. I know he had a great run there for awhile this season but he has a worrisome injury history, an effective but limited game and he doesn't appear to have much up-side. Anyone in their right mind would rush to take 18 year old Tatum over this guy but it doesn't change the fact that Johnson had a better 5th year than Jayson's freshman season.

My point wasn't very relevant in and of itself but there were some painting him as unworthy of even a late 1st and I disagree with that. Had we have taken him with the 32nd pick, I'd have been happy but no way should he have gone in the lottery.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I saw some clips (and tried to link them here but they didn't work) of him in situations that involved literally ANY physical contact. He cant set a screen, like he deliberately avoids contact with the man he is screening, in the paint or even the high post, defenders that were much shooter than him were easily able to push him several feet back and his rebounding instincts just don't exist. Guys he should easily board over him would zip around him and out jump him for the ball as he just stood flat footed hoping the ball would fall to him.

I don't think he will ever be a rotation player. He's going to be an end of the bench novelty that the crowd will get a kick out of when games get out of hand.

Management is completely out of touch. They don’t even understand what draws fans to an arena. Disgusted. I was shocked at what Michael Bidwill did in the offseason, but I will be there for the opening day game to see some excitement. The Suns are so disorganized that I think the league needs to look at what ownership is doing. A decade of insanity

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson