2018 Offensive Line: Hoping it wouldn't happen, but it did

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
AQ Shipley -> IR
Mike Iupati -> IR
Justin Pugh -> IR
Andre Smith -> Hurt, and released
DJ Humphries -> Hurt, and whispers he is done for the season. (EDIT: He is on IR now)

Next week we will have:

LT: Korey Cunningham
LG: Colby Gossett
OC: Mason Cole
RG: Oday Aboushi
RT: Will Holden

Wow.....just WOW.

Last edited:

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
I saw some plays where that line totally stopped Green Bay's D line, didn't move an inch, and Rosen actually had time to look for open receivers as he vibrated around back there all by himself ... hadn't seen that very much all year

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals signing Rees Odhiambo
You must be registered for see images

The Cardinals are signing offensive lineman Rees Odhiambo off the Colts’ practice squad, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports.
‏Odhiambo, 26, signed with the Colts’ practice squad in September before signing with the Falcons. After three weeks on the Falcons’ active roster, Odhiambo re-joined Indianapolis’ practice squad.

The Seahawks, who made him a third-round pick in 2016, cut Odhiambo out of the preseason.

He played in 15 games with seven starts in his two seasons in Seattle.

Cardinals coach Steve Wilks announced starting left guard Mike Iupati was headed to injured reserve. Iupati injured his knee in Sunday’s victory over the Packers.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Cunningham and Cole look good. I am actually even more concerned about our receivers with Kirk out

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
AQ Shipley -> IR
Mike Iupati -> IR
Justin Pugh -> IR
Andre Smith -> Hurt, and released
DJ Humphries -> Hurt, and whispers he is done for the season.

Next week we will have:

LT: Korey Cunningham
LG: Colby Gossett
OC: Mason Cole
RG: Oday Aboushi
RT: Will Holden

Wow.....just WOW.

Not one of them worth a damn. Yeah, I know some here will say Humphries needs to be given more time, but the guy is constantly in the tub. He doesn't do the team much good being in the tub have of every season.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Not one of them worth a damn. Yeah, I know some here will say Humphries needs to be given more time, but the guy is constantly in the tub. He doesn't do the team much good being in the tub have of every season.

I am a HUGE DJ Humphries fan, just like his attitude.........unfortunately his talent is showing to be backup material.

Maybe try him at guard ?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hump has all that potential and I rooted for him to be it but he has shown that he cannot stay healthy. Last season, this season, was probably injured his rookie season too.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I am a HUGE DJ Humphries fan, just like his attitude.........unfortunately his talent is showing to be backup material.

Maybe try him at guard ?

I like your thinking on this and thought the same thing, maybe Humphries would be better suited at guard. If Cunningham continues to impress at LT, maybe they should look at moving Humphries to guard. Even with that I think the team needs to look at FA and try and pick up a guard and a tackle preferably starters and let the competition begin at TC. At worse you should come out of camp with a solid line and capable backups. This line can be remade in one season with the right moves.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t see any evidence that Humphries doesn’t have the necessary athleticism to play tackle. Doubt his injury concerns would be reduced with more garbage at his feet on the inside.

Oft-injured college prospect remains oft-injured as a professional. Shocking. Someone should ask Keim if he learned his lesson after him and the TE from Notre Dame.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oft-injured college prospect remains oft-injured as a professional. Shocking. Someone should ask Keim if he learned his lesson after him and the TE from Notre Dame.

Kiem might have after drafting Mason Cole who started every game in his 4 year career at Michigan and every game so far in his NFL career.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Maybe try him at guard ?

Talent isn't an issue. He is a competent, mid-level starting LT. His issue is 100% availability; he'd probably actually look better if he could stay healthy long enough to build some continuity.

I think it's time to move on from Humphries. With all the holes this team has, this hole probably hurts as much as any. I think the Cardinals have to look strongly at taking a OT prospect at the top of the draft. Jonah Williams might be the guy, even if he doesn't look like a Joe Thomas type player.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kiem might have after drafting Mason Cole who started every game in his 4 year career at Michigan and every game so far in his NFL career.

I like Cole's durability. Hopefully he will get stronger and challenge AQ Shipley for the starting position next year. Kiem signed two O-Lineman during FA that had a history of injuries (Pugh and Wright) to go with the rest of our offense that has a history of getting hurt (Bradford, David Johnson, DJ Humphries, Iupati)

If you'r going to sign FA's that have a history of getting hurt, don't be surprised when they get hurt.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my kingdom for a great offensive line.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Cole's durability. Hopefully he will get stronger and challenge AQ Shipley for the starting position next year. Kiem signed two O-Lineman during FA that had a history of injuries (Pugh and Wright) to go with the rest of our offense that has a history of getting hurt (Bradford, David Johnson, DJ Humphries, Iupati)

If you'r going to sign FA's that have a history of getting hurt, don't be surprised when they get hurt.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my kingdom for a great offensive line.
IMO it would be stupid to hand the job back to Shipley. Shipley doesn't have a lot left, was always mediocre anyway. Cole has shown he can handle mediocre fine and is young and raw, I expect him to man that position for a long time.

Reaction score

How many FA linemen were out there without an injury history? Who should we have signed instead?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talent isn't an issue. He is a competent, mid-level starting LT. His issue is 100% availability; he'd probably actually look better if he could stay healthy long enough to build some continuity.

I think it's time to move on from Humphries. With all the holes this team has, this hole probably hurts as much as any. I think the Cardinals have to look strongly at taking a OT prospect at the top of the draft. Jonah Williams might be the guy, even if he doesn't look like a Joe Thomas type player.

yup. he's shown average at best when he is on the field and simply isn't on the field long enough to depend on him. In no way shape or form should they extend Humphries.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Personally...Humphries is a tough question, but I think you re-sign him knowing that you will likely be getting a discount due to his health concerns. The reason I think you hold onto him is because tackles seem to get injured. Jason Peters. Tyron Smith. Riley Reiff. Russell Okung. Duane Brown. Most OTs seem to get dinged up and miss a couple games. I think our line is better having Humphries on it for 12 games a year than not. I would prioritize OL health for the other playters we add however to offset this as well as invest in a better backup OT.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don’t see any evidence that Humphries doesn’t have the necessary athleticism to play tackle. Doubt his injury concerns would be reduced with more garbage at his feet on the inside.

I do not agree, but not at the level of a Levi Brown disagreement.

You do have a point that he is injured a lot so how much is injury and how much is overall talent.

The fact he is always injured doesn't help the cause at all, I am in agreement on that, but he seems to not be able to take on edge rushers when it is needed most.

I understand all tackles get beat, and it is even harder when it is an obvious passing down but it seems like he never rises to the occasion in those situations.

It comes down to either sticking with Humphries or moving on. At this point, I think the Cardinals need to find a way to do better at LT if Rosen is going to be the supposed QoF.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong, since I feel Humphries has the personality to be a team leader, but you have to walk the walk.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Most interesting decision regarding OL will be Humphries. He isn't great or even good, but considering the state of our OL we are better with him than without. It sucks that he is injured way too often, which hasn't helped his development either. He could be a really good LT if he could just avoid the injury bug.

Cunningham stepping up is a valid reason to don't keep Humphries at all costs. The 5th year option is too expensive for a player who can't stay healthy, given it's fully guaranteed in case of injury. Cunningham is playing on the same level at LT as Humphries, but plays basically for free and has much more room to develop at this point.

The best thing would be to offer Humphries some sort of prove it deal. He won't accept though, since some team will be willing to give him at least a decent multi year contract in free agency, given the premium position he plays. Just like we gave it to Pugh who is always injured and not even playing a premium position.

Only chance I see Humphries sticking around is if we can work out an incentive-heavy 2 or 3 year deal, where the final year is huge but not fully guaranteed. Probably won't be accepted by him either, as there will be more to earn in free agency. But maybe they can find some middle ground. It's scary to think our OL could be even worse than this season.

Iupati is gone. Pugh will go back to LG. Cole will start. Cunningham too, but not sure on which side. We need to swing for OL both in the draft and free agency.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals have already picked up the $9.5 million fifth year option on Humphries.

At this point you'd think that they would be planning a future that doesn't include him, but this is the Cardinals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson